MC Hammer DanceJam: Youtube killer!

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Wow.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7167807.stmFormer rap star MC Hammer is aiming for a comeback - only this Hammer time he wants to be an internet entrepreneur.Famous in the early 1990s for his hit song "U Can't Touch This" and very baggy trousers, Hammer is launching a website that hopes to rival YouTube.Due to debut later this month, DanceJam will allow users to share and watch their own dance videos.If the website is a hit, it could help Hammer's finances - he went bankrupt in 1996 with debts of almost $14m (??7m).Despite earning an estimated $33m, Hammer - real name Stanley Burrell - quickly spent all the money, and more, on an opulent lifestyle of private jets, luxury cars and a gold-drenched Californian mansion.As his music career and finances fell apart, Hammer reinvented himself as a preacher and TV presenter.YouTube dominanceNow 45, Hammer told the Associated Press news agency: "There is no high-tech lingo or business strategy that you can talk that is above my head. I breath this stuff."[/b]Like YouTube, DanceJam aims to make its money from advertisers.Despite Hammer's confidence, some media analysts say he will have a hard time drawing young people away from YouTube, which last month listed 1.7 million dance videos."When people are looking for any video, whether it be about skateboarding, dancing or a science project, they don't stop to think about where's the best place to find it," said James McQuivey of Forrester Research."They just start off by going to YouTube."

Comments

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Yeah, it's gonna be hard for him to compete with his own material:

• Yeah, it's gonna be hard for him to compete with his own material:

goodness. that video is frightening. So many Hammer speedo shots. I guess I completely blocked this video out of my memory.

"hey, where you going today?"

"oh, I'm rollin down to Fremont. Hammer is having a Pumps and a Bump party."

"cool."

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

goodness. that video is frightening. So many Hammer speedo shots. I guess I completely blocked this video out of my memory.

"hey, where you going today?"

"oh, I'm rollin down to Fremont. Hammer is having a Pumps and a Bump party."

"cool."

LOL! Oh man, that is COMEDY!!!!!

• Does anyone remember his (painfully) pro-war album (I forgot the name and can't find it online)? He dropped that shit right after 9-11 and it was REALLY bad. On some generalizing retaliation against anyone from the middle east tip. It came with a DVD that had a video of him rapping from some "war room" and then it would cut to clips of him showing members of congress how to dance. Straight comedy.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    probably won't work for Hammer, but I have no problem with him proving me wrong. Dude put bread on a lot of tables in his day by employing about 13 thousand people to be on stage with him.

he might have a little problem with the site, as his logo kind of rips off Def Jams.

• Found it.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    probably won't work for Hammer, but I have no problem with him proving me wrong. Dude put bread on a lot of tables in his day by employing about 13 thousand people to be on stage with him.

he might have a little problem with the site, as his logo kind of rips off Def Jams.

my previous support of Hammer has just been shot down by the viewing of said "Ain't gonna be no stoppin us" Video. I had no idea he had put that out.

what a chump.

• probably won't work for Hammer, but I have no problem with him proving me wrong. Dude put bread on a lot of tables in his day by employing about 13 thousand people to be on stage with him.

my previous support of Hammer has just been shot down by the viewing of said "Ain't gonna be no stoppin us" Video. I had no idea he had put that out.

what a chump.

That shit is so gangster. Look how mad he is in the video.

(wait a minute....you had PREVIOUS support for him?)

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts

what a chump.

That shit is so gangster. Look how mad he is in the video.

(wait a minute....you had PREVIOUS support for him?)

yeah I did.... when he was at the top, he did a fair amount for his people by trying to get many on stage and off the streets, and it all went to hell when the money dried up. I liked that he tried to do that, so I wished him well. That hokey screaming rap pretty well knocked that all out.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Found it.

• Found it.

So bad. So, so bad. (Was this a movie or something?)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Found it.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

what a chump.

Dude had my art school on his tour list for this album. I saw the poster up in early 2002 and felt physically ill. I wonder how many people showed up to the jingo-fest. and

• sbonesbone 144 Posts
    say no go to hammer cant belive he's making a comeback..
    speakig of ill we just had vanilla ice here in oz .. talk about terrible..
    ... and said people were like " i cant belive you dont like vanilla ice" my
    reply ..f off

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    "i cant belive you dont like vanilla ice"

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    "i cant belive you dont like vanilla ice"

it makes me pretty happy that the guy is permanently scarred with those awful Frickin' tattoos