Re: FLAC (hifi and beatles related)

brandonbrandon 42 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
As far as I know, FLAC is lossless and about half the size of a wav file. If my Ipod and/or Microwave supported it, I'd start messing with it. These Sgt Pepper Multitrack Sessions were encoded with FLAC (but taken from another recording that wasn't so crispy).- brandon

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    You can download them and convert to an MP3 bit rate of choice, so you can always work from a quality version, or simply look for an MP3 version. While most collectors would prefer to have it in lossless, I do know that a small handful of Beatles fanatics did radio shows on them, which in turn can be played as podcasts. If anyone wants to hear them before making the attempt to download FLAC's (especially for those who normally don't use lossless), listen to the podcasts firsts. Here's a good place to start:
    http://www.beatlerev.podomatic.com/

• HamHam 872 Posts
    what program would you use to convert FLAC to mp3? I have a lot of albums in FLAC-format and its great for listening on the computer but i need mp3s for the ipod.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    On PC, I use Media Monkey to convert. It also has great options for organizing your collection and getting everything like filenames and artist/album tags in the same format.

The cool thing about FLAC, from what I've heard, is that its compression is content dependent. So if your compressing a dance track that has the same kick sound on ever beat for 10 minutes, it will be a smaller file than a 10 minute classical track which has much greater variation.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i love FLACs. back in the Oink days i'd always pick FLAC over anything else (obviously)...also made me switch from itunes to winamp. and im really glad about that. i hate itunes.

what program would you use to convert FLAC to mp3? I have a lot of albums in FLAC-format and its great for listening on the computer but i need mp3s for the ipod.

As far as I know there isn't one, since most people who use FLAC are either using the FLAC's as is or converting to WAV to burn to CD. So just use FLAC Frontend to decode to WAV, and whatever program you use to encode to MP3. It's an extra step, but better than nothing.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

As far as I know there isn't one, since most people who use FLAC are either using the FLAC's as is or converting to WAV to burn to CD. So just use FLAC Frontend to decode to WAV, and whatever program you use to encode to MP3. It's an extra step, but better than nothing.

easy cd-da can do that. anything to anything with that baby.

On PC, I use Media Monkey to convert. It also has great options for organizing your collection and getting everything like filenames and artist/album tags in the same format.

The cool thing about FLAC, from what I've heard, is that its compression is content dependent. So if your compressing a dance track that has the same kick sound on ever beat for 10 minutes, it will be a smaller file than a 10 minute classical track which has much greater variation.

Without getting too technical, it pretty much cuts the size in half, and does so in a way that is similar to using VBR for MP3's. So if a stereo WAV file is 5:00 long and is about 50mb, the FLAC will be *around* 25mb or so, depending on what's going on in the song at any given time. If it's a classical piece, with various quiet moments and silence, it will be a bit lower. Overall volume level is an issue too, and it will take that to account. If something from a CD has a peak level of 80, it will encode it exactly like that, although users can tweak FLAC files during the encoding process to do something else, the "Replaygain" option. If you peak the level to 99 or 100 percent before encoding, it will be a few megabytes higher than the original file at 80%.

As for mono, a 5 minute song can be about 13mb, depending on if it's a mono WAV file or a stereo file that recorded something in mono, because you have to keep in mind that while the record was mono, you're still recording surface noise in stereo. Best thing to do after doing a transfer is to convert the stereo WAV to mono, save, then encode to FLAC, and the size will be 25 percent of the original WAV.

Plus, it's lossless compression, so in terms of editing and making your own mixes or podcasts, it's better to work from a lossless source than from MP3's.

Another benefit of encoding to FLAC is if you're doing a track with someone, and they're using the same program you're using. For example, if I'm doing a track with Jesse Dangerously, I can either send him the entire instrumental I did for him, or send the session files as a zip or RAR file. He can then decode it, plug it in, then do his track. He then sends me back his vocal track as a FLAC, a new session file with his vocals plus anything else he may have added (i.e. any effects, background vocals, sound effects, etc) and I can add that in on my end. While you *can* do that with MP3's, with faster upload and download speeds it's better to do that with quality in mind opposed to taking shortcuts and end up with something that sounds not as good.

easy cd-da can do that. anything to anything with that baby.

There we go. I've never used that one but that's good too know too.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    Have a look at All2lame for FLAC to MP3 conversion.
    It converts using the LAME encoder and allows you to enter the LAME variable switches
    depending on the size/quality of MP3 that you want (eg: --alt-preset-extreme).

Also, you might want to consider using Rockbox on your iPod.
    It's a totally seperate OS to the apple one and includes support for many formats
    including FLAC. It also has lots of other features that the normal Apple OS doesn't
    have (be warned though, that it takes some tweaking to set it up properly).

Finally, if you use Foobar as your media playing on the PC then
    I believe there is a FLAC to MP3 conversion plugin floating around on the net
    somewhere.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Also, you might want to consider using Rockbox on your iPod.
    It's a totally seperate OS to the apple one and includes support for many formats
    including FLAC. It also has lots of other features that the normal Apple OS doesn't
    have (be warned though, that it takes some tweaking to set it up properly).

you better be pretty damn tech savvy if you mess with this. rockbox fucked my shit aaalll up last year. i had to re-format my ipod, so be weary.