Moving And/Or Backing Up iTunes MP3's.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
How is this done? I've dragged the whole iTunes Music folder to my external hard drive before, but I've added/DL'ed stuff since then. I thought I could just highlight the new files and drag 'em into my iTunes folder on my external, but it drops 'em in as individual files, not in the artist folders that iTunes usually does.Ultimately I'd like to backup the files on my laptop and on my PC onto one hard drive. I'm constantly DL'ing and ripping tracks on both computers and it gets to be a hassle moving stuff from my desktop computer to my laptop for S dot erato purposes.Also, do any of you use an iPod as an external when you play out? I've been meaning to buy a portable hard drive but I got an 80g iPod for Christmas and figure I'll just use that instead. Any downsides to that? Anything I should do prior to loading up my iPod?Sorry if these are stupid questions. When it comes to this technical stuff I really need stuff spelled out for me as simply as possible.Thanks, hoLmeses.

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    try downloading Senuti and using that to dump from iTunes to your external. It should "see" your entire iTunes library and allow you to select where you want to move anything -- so plug in your external and select it as the destination for moving MP3s.

Senuti should automatically create folders for each artist (and within each artist, individual folders for each album) on your external for you, and if the artists already have folders it should just place everything in those existing folders.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Yeah, I've had the same problems, keeping all the mp3s organized is a pain. I think you said your on a PC, I found a program a couple months back thats pretty good, called SyncBack. Basically, you can set it to Sync or Backup. So it could backup your collection, but it will only copy stuff you've added since last backup.

The sync stuff is whats really cool, so if for instance you set a bunch of cuepoints in microwave at a gig or something, it will look for whatever's been modified, and copy only those modified files to your main collection. Or it can keep the collection identical in 3 places (pc, laptop and backup drive for example.) Its pretty good for free, pm me if you need help dude.

Site is here, download is here.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    I found itunes works fine from the assumption that ALL your music fits on one ipod and the synch command keeps it all straight. i.e. if you are 14.

If you have a big collection of mp3s, and like to play and organise sets by your own folders, I think MediaMonkey (.com) is great. I've used it for over 2 years and had no problems. It even lets you put stuff straight across to the ipod (apart from the latest ones) without having to use itunes at all.

And it's FREE. Worth it for the "Autotag from Amazon" feature alone.