Air Filters Anyone....Anyone....

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
I think i might cop one. One for health reasons, two for keeping dust off of my rekkids and electronics.Any stories/info/reccommendations/myths/price chexs?

Comments

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I've heard various stories about how those are a complete waste of money and really don't do jack from a lot of people....I think I even read about it in the NY Times a few years back?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    dag....

my co-worker was biggin this device up.

• Yeah, they were really popular when they first came out but later tests revealed that they really didn't do much but collect the dust in the immediate area of the room, not the entire space.

Plus, I wouldn't put it around my electronics. The internal mechanism is a magnet.

Yeah, they were really popular when they first came out but later tests revealed that they really didn't do much but collect the dust in the immediate area of the room, not the entire space.

Plus, I wouldn't put it around my electronics. The internal mechanism is a magnet.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    who knows though - they could've gotten better....maybe dude's right?

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    From the mayo website:

Some ozone air purifiers are made with an ion generator or "ionizer" in the same unit. You can also buy ionizers as separate units. Ionizers do take particles out of the air. Ions stick to particles, causing them to attach to nearby surfaces or to each other and settle out of the air. But ionizers don't work any better than high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters or electrostatic filters in removing allergens from the air and may generate unwanted ozone.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/asthma/AN00443

That being said, stick with HEPA filters. The bigger the filter area the better.

Seen these used by people with health related problems to great success

I had visions of turning my apt in some Clean Plastic bubble steez.

• To really reduce the dust, just get the best air filters you can for your furnace or central AC. Replace them every other month or so. That should take care of 99% of the dust that might be coming in. The other option is to remove the faceplates from the vents in your room, and put in some modified air filters -- you can get these at any hardware store.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    We had one in our downstairs basement. my brother and his friends would blow bong smoke into it every night for months on end. When they opened up that sucka it would have made a great anti-smoking add.