Sly & The Family Stone box set..Just got it!

Hoosier_DaddyHoosier_Daddy 141 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Just picked up the Sly & The Family Stone Box set..It is The first 7 releases and a bonus disc with 2 videos(Best Buy only)Damn,the whole thing is too sick..The booklets,pictures etc..All 7 disc have unreleased songs and instrumentals.I haven't been this excited over anything music related in a LONG ass time.I've always had the first 7 releases on vinyl,but this box set is a must for SLY fans..Anyone else have this box set?..Thoughts?PS:I heard SONY is going to be releasing a remastered version of the live recording of "Live At The Filmore East" sometime in 2008

Comments

• Anyone else have this box set?..Thoughts?

I got it...somewhere back in the archives there was a thread on it (which may have been before you arrived). I thought they did a real good job. I was hoping they'd do an additional "rarities" disc, with the 1968 single they released as the French Fries (Sly imitating the Chipmunks) or maybe even their performance from the Isle of Wight festival (originally released on the Columbia compilationFirst Great Rock Festivals Of The Seventies). But, it's an excellent set overall.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    ...and Best Buy initially had their version of the complete set up on their site for - what was it? - $19.99 or something, fully by accident, for the first few days. It was sold out by the time I was hipped to it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    How do you release a Sly & the Family Stone 7-CD
    retrospective box set and NOT include "Thank You (Falettinme be Mice Elf Agin),"
    "Everybody is a Star," and "Hot Fun in the Summertime" ???

I mean, yeah, I don't need those tracks myself, but it seems insane
    to put out all those tracks and not include 3 of the most popular
    songs ever recorded by the band ... it's not like there wasn't room!

• How do you release a Sly & the Family Stone 7-CD
    retrospective box set and NOT include "Thank You (Falettinme be Mice Elf Agin),"
    "Everybody is a Star," and "Hot Fun in the Summertime" ???

Ah yes...there was a time when an artist could release a 45 without having an LP as an excuse. Sly & the Family Stone caught the tail end of that...

You know, I don't think that was supposed to be a full-on retrospective, just straight reissues of the first seven albums with bonus tracks added. If it were a real, honest-to-goodness lookback, it wouldn't have ended in 1974, they would have tracked Sly & co. all the way to the bitter end.

You know, I don't think that was supposed to be a full-on retrospective, just straight reissues of the first seven albums with bonus tracks added.

I know, but I just think those three hugely important tracks could
    have been "bonus tracks" on one or two of the discs, you know?

• I mean, yeah, I don't need those tracks myself, but it seems insane

You know, I don't think that was supposed to be a full-on retrospective, just straight reissues of the first seven albums with bonus tracks added.

I know, but I just think those three hugely important tracks could
    have been "bonus tracks" on one or two of the discs, you know?

i totally understand. woulda made it more complete, since '67-'74 were the glory years when sly was still worth half a damn.

however, not long after the box came out, sony/legacy rereleased the standard Greatest Hits album, with the three omissions you mentioned. kinda strange to reissue an album that never went out of print in the first place - this is the same one weve seen in used bins all this time, and they didn't even add any of the post-'70 hits like "Family Affair." nothing new musically, but they did make sure to add rare photos, new liners and fancy Digipak packaging, just milking this music like a barnyard cow.

• The instrumenatl bonus track "My Brain-Zig Zag" off the "STAND" disc is one of the funkiest joints i've ever heard,that shit is

Sly & The Family Stone were so far ahead of their time in many aspects of muic,it's not even funny.

I mean,"A Whole New Thing" was released in 1967,and no other artist/group from 1967 sounds near as funky s the shit on that album,just amazing.

I mean "A Whole New Thing" was released in 1967,and no other artist/group from
    1967 sounds near as funky as the shit on that album, just amazing.

Major co-sign - I am completely blown away by how ahead of it's
    time the sound of that album is. People are STILL catching up.