Are There Any Records in Barcelona?

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
if so, where's good to check out?

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    wah wah is dope... i got nuff stuff in there CHEAP. you just have the scour the entire store....

There's a shop a few doors up that's really dope that will take a day to go through, lots of Spanish stuff there for 10-ish Euros.

then the market up near the end of las ramblas, close to the shore. There's a few sellers there.

the side streets off las ramblas have a ton of stores too. you'll find a thing or two in there also for cheap.

peace.

• I??d rather say Wah Wah overprices most rare records, plus they have resealed all their stock so there??s no way to check the condition of the vinyl unless you show a great interest in buying it and ask the girl at the counter to open it for you. They have a vast amount of reissues if that??s what you are for.

I strongly reccomend the local fleamarket called "los encantes", not sure when is on but sure you can ask any local. I have found great records in there, for cheap too, but as in any other market you never know what are you going to find... Last time I found a great lot of disco/boogie 12"s at 1 euro a piece.

Calle Tallers is where most record shops are. Don??t expect nothing great though.

Mercat de Sant Antoni, on Sundays, is maybe worth a visit too. Mainly selling books and magazines but some vinyl can also be found in there.

Good luck!

Javi

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I??d rather say Wah Wah overprices most rare records, plus they have resealed all their stock so there??s no way to check the condition of the vinyl unless you show a great interest in buying it and ask the girl at the counter to open it for you. They have a vast amount of reissues if that??s what you are for.

This is what EVERYONE had me believe on message boards before I went there, so I walked in there with caution. People also said the staff are rude. It's bullshit. The lady was cool, without any qualms, opened the vinyl to show me, wasn't pissed when I didn't want it (about 4 records). They had stacks of reasonably priced soul / funk / libraries there. Tons of diamonds in the roughs too. Stuff they underpriced because they thought it was a reissue or didn't bother checking up current market prices. The prices are NOTHING compared to what *some* French record stores (except Chez Youri), price their records, and compared to most "dealer" shops in Europe, fairly cheap. No popsike, just a fair price.

I got stuff like the Quasar - Man Coda there for 10, Axelrod Songs of Innocence - 15, etc. etc. The semi-common, yet good Spanish stuff in MINT for 10-15.

Anyhow, I ride for that store, just want to dispell the negative aura people have painted. wah wah was the best shop in Barcelona for quality. Make sure you check their own re-issue series which includes stuff like "Pan Y Regaliz" and other ill shit.

"Los Encantes" was cool, lots of records for 1-5 Euro, but only one dude who came with the heat. A few french records were found, but as far as the local spanish treats. Hit up Wah Wah and the shop a few doors up (Disco Edisons). Stuff like Orquestra Mirasol records can be found MINT there for 5-10 Euro, and TONS of local and pic cover foreign 7"s.

peace.

DISCO EDINSONS 45s

MARKET

THE STREET WAH WAH IS ON

DISCO EDISONS

WAH WAH

TEENAGE MUTANT RAER

INSIDE DISCO EDISONS (CHECK THE SHELVES ON THE BOTTOM, WHERE THE BEER GUT DUDE IS, FOR THE SPANISH HEATERS)

INSIDE WAH WAH

• thanks guys, esp sheep for those photos...super helpful

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

-disco edison (especially for 60s spanish beat eps)
    -wah wah
    -encantes flea market.
    -theres also a shop in the raval area thats worth checking out. i forget the name now, but a little scouring should yield some results. its on a fairly busy pedestrian street right off the main plaza area

These spots are all you really need to see. There are a grip of other stores but they didn't strike me as places anyone needs to spend their quality Barcelona time visiting. Unless you're like, absolutely batshit about scouring through records at all times.

and I agree that the staff at Wah Wah are friendly. I mean its not like TGI fridays in there or anything, but if you know how to act in public you shouldn't have any incidents.