Hedzoleh Soundz Appreciation!

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
I don't know why I had slept on this record for so long! It's been getting constant spins ever since I bought it a few days ago. While Masekela's solo stuff tends be hit or miss for me, this album is surprisingly consistent and just plain quality music. I can imagine this getting sweated something serious if it was a rarity on some African label, but lucky for us heads It's attainable quite easily and usually for under 10 bucks. Anyone else really dig this record?

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

• I dig this album , .. but i do find masekela's flugelhorn a little cheese and redundant...

• I dig this album , .. but i do find masekela's flugelhorn a little cheese and redundant...
    Masekela doesn't play on this album.

And dude.... ehh??

• Masekela does play on the album he's just not listed in the credits, notice no trumpet or flugelhorn listed despite much audio evidence..... in fact I read something once (possibly in wax poetics) that Masekela considered "Masekela Introducing Hedzoleh Soundz" his favorite of his own albums....should have been called Hedzoleh Sounds with Masekela.... i think Fela actually introduced the band to him and thats why it was recorded in Nigeria ....

• Ah...that would also explain why Fela was thanked in the liner notes for "without whom this album would not have been realised".

• dope record, one of my favorites by him

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

, good record, I never see it anywhere.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    great record.

hedzoleh soundz features isaac asante who later played with Plunky in the Oneness of Juju and released some things under his own name on the label.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

, good record, I never see it anywhere.

I had high hopes for this record when I first saw it. I didn't think it was terrible but I certainly didn't think it was anything special. Still, I haven't checked in a decade. Since all you guys are sweating it, i'll take another peak and report back.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    It doesn't have the afro funk thunder of a fela record, but i like this record nonetheless.

• Open up a little. There are fantastic records out there that may not have "breaks" or "funk", but their own unique charms.

When I was a kid, you could catch them playing all over, places like Peoples' Park in Berkeley. That (along with Tower of Power, different thread) is what the Bay Area
    sounded like in the early 70s.