Early to Mid 80's Hip-Hop Appreciation!!!

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Hey,While I giggled at the "Rawest Beat Ever" thread, some funky, early to mid-80's hip-hop beats came to mind. Off the head, here are some my drum machine-based, pre-sampling joints from that period:-"It's Yours"-T-La Rock.-"Funk Box"-Masterdon Committee.-"Fresh is the Word" and "Get Stupid, Fresh"-Mantronix.-"Boogie Down Bronx" and "Hip-Hop, Be-Bop"-Man Parrish.-"Johnny the Fox"-Tricky Tee.-"Jam on It"-Newcleus.-"Play That Beat"-G.L.O.B.E & Whiz Kid.-"Everlasting Bass"-Rodney O & Joe Cooley.-"P.S.K." and "Gucci Time"-Schooly D.-"Looking for the Perfect Beat"-Afrika Bambaata and the Soulsonic Force.-"Dear Evette"-L.L. Cool J.-"Together Forever"-Run DMC.-"Discombobulator, Boobulator"-M.C. Breeze.-"Triple Threat"-Z 3 MCs (Baltimore, big up!!!).-"Split Personality"-UTFO.-"Run It"-The Boogie Boys.I'll stop here. I gotta a question, what is the name of a mid-tempo, Roland TR-909-based beat, that has this cut "Oh Yeah" echoing in it every 4 bars. It also has this cool-ass drum fill: Kak-kak, boomp, kak, boomp-boomp, kak-kak, boomp, kak-kak, boom (repeat 3 times), (then kick drum and snare together plays): kunk, kunk, kunk-kunk, kunk, kunk, kunk-kunk, kunk. Finally, some keyboard phrase comes in for four bars, then back to the regular beat: Boom, kak, boomp-kak-boom-kak, boomp boomp, kak, boomp-boomph, kak, boom, kak, OH YEAH!!!!! (two synth bass notes play with the "oh yeah" part)...That joint was my shit, but I can't remember the name of it. Phill Most Chill??? Somebody??? If you have this joint, please post my mp3 of it.Please add on to my list. Holla!!!Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• Those are some great picks,i'll add a few more..

Fresh 3 Mc's-F.R.E.S.H
    Word Of Mouth-King Kut
    Knights Of The Turntables-Fresh Mess & Techno Scratch
    Feraless Four-F 4000/Problems Of The World Today
    Treacherous Three-Body Rock
    Afrika Bambaata & The Soul Sonic Force-Renegades Of Funk
    Lovebug Starski-The Fever
    Lovebug Starski-You Gotta Believe
    Boogie Boys-Zodiac
    Art Of Noise-Beat Box
    Funkmaster Wizard Wiz-Bellevue Patient(personal fav,haha)
    World's Famous Supreme Team-Do Ya Like Scratchin(waaaay ahead of it's time)

Sheesh,i could go on forever..

Shit,about every cut of the first FAT BOYS album was boomin too,don't laugh,amazing production and beats on that album.

• By the way,and i know i'm new here,but if anyone has the BEAT BOYS-BE BOP ROCK (vocal) mp3,could you post it..

I have th OG vinyl,but it has a small crack in the beginning..

SUGARSCOOP records

To keep adding on..I'll try to keep away from OBVIOUS joints

Spyder D-Smurphies Dance
    Formula V-Killer Groove
    Divine Sounds-What People Do For Money
    DJ Divine-Get Into The Mix
    Toddy Tee-Batterram

I've got all these and tons more on OG vinyl,but i still haven't learned how to post mp3's,or downloading sites,ie:Rapidshare,Z Share,Sendspace etc..

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo Hoosier,

You're calling out some hot joints. I guess we're the only old-school heads up in here tonight. How about these:

-"So Why is it Fresh?"-Grandmixer DST.
    -"Davy's Ride"-Davy D.
    -"It's the Beat"-The Hollis Crew.
    -"Electric Kingdom"-Twilight 22.
    -"King Kut"-DJ Cheeze and Word of Mouth.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Shit,about every cut of the first FAT BOYS album was boomin too,don't laugh,amazing production and beats on that album.

History seems to have forgotten how fresh that 1st Fat Boys album was... at the time that it came out it was probably the 2nd best rap album ever, right behind Run DMC's debut lp.

Stacks, I don't know that song you beatboxed with your keypad... i might know it if I heard it though.

more bangers:

Dimples D - Sucker DJs
    Marley Marl feat Shan - Marley Scratch (of course)
    B Boys - Girls Pts 1 & 2 (stick up kid was kinda fly too)
    The Source - The Ghetto (one of my favorite underrated joints)
    Rockmaster Scott - It's Life
    Jimmy Spicer - This Is It
    Run DMC - Together Forever (can't neglect them just cuz they were the biggest group on earth... this schitt was just ridiculous when it dropped)
    Craig G - Shout
    DJ Born Supreme Allah - 2, 3 Break Pt. 2
    Masterdon Committee - Gotta Get You Hot
    DST and the Infinity Rappers - Grandmixer Cuts It Up (another of my faves)
    Disco Four - We're At The Party
    Lovebug Starsky - You Gotta Believe / Live At The Fever (one of the best 2-hit singles during a time when there were a LOT of them)
    Fantasy Three - It's Your Rock (one of the dopest beats ever)
    Roxanne Shante - Bite This (Marley was right about then)
    Ultimate 3 - What Are We Gonna Do About It

• i slept on a lot of tLa rock after 'its yours" Mantronix was hooking those tracks up

"body rock"s gotta be one of my favorites...that bassline is retarded

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

I gotta a question, what is the name of a mid-tempo, Roland TR-909-based beat, that has this cut "Oh Yeah" echoing in it every 4 bars. It also has this cool-ass drum fill: Kak-kak, boomp, kak, boomp-boomp, kak-kak, boomp, kak-kak, boom (repeat 3 times), (then kick drum and snare together plays): kunk, kunk, kunk-kunk, kunk, kunk, kunk-kunk, kunk. Finally, some keyboard phrase comes in for four bars, then back to the regular beat: Boom, kak, boomp-kak-boom-kak, boomp boomp, kak, boomp-boomph, kak, boom, kak, OH YEAH!!!!! (two synth bass notes play with the "oh yeah" part)...

That joint was my shit, but I can't remember the name of it. Phill Most Chill??? Somebody??? If you have this joint, please post my mp3 of it.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yo,

The man Mek Jagger PMed me and identified the joint I described above as "Gordy's Groove" by Choice MC's. Oh yeah, I remember now, the keyboard part I described played the Andy Griffith theme before the beat came back in again. That was that shit to me back then, a funky drum machine cut indeed!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• i slept on a lot of tLa rock after 'its yours" Mantronix was hooking those tracks up

most of the treach 3 on enjoy was pumpkins band, right? all top shelf.
    vicious rap is pretty dope. roxanne shante freestyle live? havent listened to it in a while...isnt it just biz beatboxin?

most of the treach 3 on enjoy was pumpkins band, right? all top shelf.
    vicious rap is pretty dope. roxanne shante freestyle live? havent listened to it in a while...isnt it just biz beatboxin?

Pumpkin's productions are top notch, slept on shit...I think he played pretty much all the instrutments on most of his recordings!

• Phil named some great joints,i have all those except the SOURCE song..
    Big Stacks,the Grandmixer Dst was my shit back then.

Here's a couple more underrated joints from back in the day..

Phase 2-The Roxy (love the singing hook on this)
    Fearless Four-Dedication
    Nairobi/Awesome Foursome-Funky Soul Makossa

Also,even though they were huge back then,i always thought "Step Off" from the Furious Five(yeah,remember without Grandmaster Flash) was underrated.

Gil Scot Heron-Re Ron (remember that shit,haha,i thought it was dope)
    I think Bill Laswell produced it.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I got a few that ain't been mentioned;

LL Cool J - I Need A Beat (when this came out, it was the illest shit I'd ever heard)
    Time Zone - Wildstyle
    Skinny Boys - Rip The Cut
    Imperial Brothers - We Come To Rock
    Russell Brothers - The Party Scene
    Jazzy Jay - Cold Chillin' In The Spot
    Pumpkin - King Of The Beat
    Chris "The Glove" Taylor - Ichiban Scratch
    Just Ice - Cold Gettin' Dumb (can't believe nobody mentioned this one)
    Mantronix - Needle To The Groove
    Joeski Love - Pee Wee Dance

• That Jazzy Jay cut was on my mind,and i forgot to list it..I like the Russell (Simmons) Rush,saying "This Be The DefJam,It's So Def,It's the Def Jam"..The way he's just talking,is dope on that..That's a good list Doc,like the Biz gif,i got them all too.

• Just Ice - Cold Gettin' Dumb (can't believe nobody mentioned this one)
    mantronix strikes again!

i was thinkin about rip the cut

redalert on wax on vintertainment is great

phase 2 made me think of "change the beat" ...also dope

• you all forgot run dmc - sucker mc's which is indeed the rawest shit ever.

• ooops. true

Yo Doc,

These joints are sample-based, which is probably why they weren't mentioned. We're discussing joints where the drum machines and keyboards (when used) were used to bring the funk. Here are some more:

-"What is a DJ if He Can't Scratch?"-Egyptian Lover.
    -"AJ Scratch"-Kurtis Blow.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Yo Doc,

These joints are sample-based, which is probably why they weren't mentioned. We're discussing joints where the drum machines and keyboards (when used) were used to bring the funk. Here are some more:

-"What is a DJ if He Can't Scratch?"-Egyptian Lover.
    -"AJ Scratch"-Kurtis Blow.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Guess I was thinking of "Cold Gettin' Dumb II", which doesn't have the Dynamic Corvettes sample. After all, a lot of the early drum machine joints made use of really short samples - basic stabs and shit - but since a few of those had already got through, I figured I'd be OK.

• Shit,about every cut of the first FAT BOYS album was boomin too,don't laugh,amazing production and beats on that album.

History seems to have forgotten how fresh that 1st Fat Boys album was... at the time that it came out it was probably the 2nd best rap album ever, right behind Run DMC's debut lp.

Pretty much that whole album was incredible to me. "Stick Em" was especially I still have the same copy my grandma bought me in 2nd grade!

• I remember hearing some raer Stetsasonic 808-based jams that the DBC came up with. Never heard them since.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I just recently listened to LL Cool J's first couple of records, it's easy to forget just how hard those records were for the time. "Kanday" has been in steady rotation for me for a couple of weeks now. Big cosine on the Fat Boys too, if you weren't around back then I'm sure it's hard to picture, but they really were second only to Run DMC for a while there.

• My first piece of wax was Planet Rock

Great post! I was just bumpin' most of these tracks you guys posted up in my car. I think it's funny driving by people pumpin' that shit. Most of the cats (and you can't blame them) have no clue.

Other favs, to name a few:

That's The Joint
    On The Radio
    8th Wonder
    Buffalo Gals
    Roxanne, Roxanne

• I gotta a question, what is the name of a mid-tempo, Roland TR-909-based beat, that has this cut "Oh Yeah" echoing in it every 4 bars. It also has this cool-ass drum fill: Kak-kak, boomp, kak, boomp-boomp, kak-kak, boomp, kak-kak, boom (repeat 3 times), (then kick drum and snare together plays): kunk, kunk, kunk-kunk, kunk, kunk, kunk-kunk, kunk. Finally, some keyboard phrase comes in for four bars, then back to the regular beat: Boom, kak, boomp-kak-boom-kak, boomp boomp, kak, boomp-boomph, kak, boom, kak, OH YEAH!!!!! (two synth bass notes play with the "oh yeah" part)...

That joint was my shit, but I can't remember the name of it. Phill Most Chill??? Somebody??? If you have this joint, please post my mp3 of it.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yo,

The man Mek Jagger PMed me and identified the joint I described above as "Gordy's Groove" by Choice MC's. Oh yeah, I remember now, the keyboard part I described played the Andy Griffith theme before the beat came back in again. That was that shit to me back then, a funky drum machine cut indeed!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

you know, that's what i was thinking when you mentioned the "oh yeah" part, but the rest of the description didn't sound right. That's "Gordy's Groove" by Fresh Gordon. I guess the original pressing was on a Choice MCs record, then got picked up by Tommy Boy as a Fresh Gordon solo joint. "Brooklyn Style" was another dope Choice MCs joint. I think Jaz was down with them too.

other mid 80's schitts-

Almighty 3 "To The Other MCs"
    Ray Rock & KC "Freestyle" (on NV Records, same label I was signed to back in '85)
    Hip Hop On Wax Vols. 1 & 2
    co-sign on that Boogie Boys "Run It"... one of the dopest beats from that era IMO
    Whodini "Big Mouth"

• Does anyone remember a joint that says "I Am The Manipulator"..Then the rapper says "Cut It Up Like This"..It was out around 85 i believe..I swear i have the vnyl,but don't know which section A,B,C ETC..)to look for..I think this dude had another joint too,but i'm stuck on stupid right now.

He also says "M-A-N-I-P-U.....LATOR"

• Whodini "Big Mouth"

I was just about to ask where the love for Whodini was. The first LP is oh

- J

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Girls 1 and 2 - The B-Boys MC's
    The Original HumanBeatbox - Dougie Fresh
    The Original Rock The Bells - LL Cool J
    Rap Machine - Whodini
    FunkBox - Mastadon Comittee
    Boo Boo's Break - ???
    Fearless Freestyle - Fearless 4
    8 million Stories - Kurtis Blow
    Fresh Fly Wild and Bold - CC4
    They Call Me Puma - Puma?
    Girls Aint Nothin But Trouble - JJ and The Fresh Prince
    Rip The Cut - Skinny Boyz
    Im Down - The Beastie Boys
    Rockit remix - The OG Jazzy Jeff
    Freedom - GMF and Furious Five
    Rockin It - Fearless Four.....this shit still bangs to this day!!!!

80-85 is still underanalyzed compared to the 86-9+ era.

Dudes are lost before MTV raps.

They Call Me Puma - Puma?

Hey Batmon,

That is a sample-based joint with a beat programmed from the "God Make Me Funky" drums and the main sample from "If You Got It, You'll Get It" both taken from the "Survival of the Fittest" LP by The Headhunters.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Shit,about every cut of the first FAT BOYS album was boomin too,don't laugh,amazing production and beats on that album.

Pretty much that whole album was incredible to me. "Stick Em" was especially I still have the same copy my grandma bought me in 2nd grade!

This is before Tin Pan Alley made them all corny and shit. They did better work on Sutra Records.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Does anyone remember a joint that says "I Am The Manipulator"..Then the rapper says "Cut It Up Like This"..It was out around 85 i believe..I swear i have the vnyl,but don't know which section A,B,C ETC..)to look for..I think this dude had another joint too,but i'm stuck on stupid right now.

He also says "M-A-N-I-P-U.....LATOR"

Mixmaster Gee.

• They Call Me Puma - Puma?

Hey Batmon,

That is a sample-based joint with a beat programmed from the "God Make Me Funky" drums and the main sample from "If You Got, You'll Get It" both taken from the "Survival of the Fittest" LP by The Headhunters.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

not only that it also came out in 87....

• A few of my fav???s from that period, tracks that I had as a young teen and still enjoy up to this very day:

Ultimate III - Ultimate III Live!
    2 Live Crew - What I like
    DR JR Kool - That???s Deep (has some rock guitar like a lot of of those 86 joints did)
    DR Fresh - Is this the American dream (more guitar)
    Point Blank MC???s - Hard to the body
    Hard Rock Soul Movement - The beat is mine
    Stets sonic - Just say stet???s.
    Steady B - Fly Shante