FUTURESHOCK JB Related -

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
my co-worker copped me a DVD of James Brown's Atlanta tv show -Shit is crazy hot.Ive only watched one episode. Anyone know how many he did?And.....Pickwick, do u hatt on this version of Disco too? And I never heard the JB's Version of NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE......

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I've been wanting to see this FOREVER.

Wasn't there only one episode?

edit: I guess not!

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I'm not sure how many episodes therew ere I actually had two on dvd and when I went out to Atlanta to dj I showed it in the club got drunk and flew back home and forget my dvd!!!! It was long gone when i called em'. Been trying to replace it ever since.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Future Shock is the shit. I have an episode with Lyn Collins performing Rock Me Again.
    Big thanks to Undertheradar for hooking me up last year.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I've been wanting to see this FOREVER.

Wasn't there only one episode?

edit: I guess not!

Ive got the second ep on pause.

When I saw Trans Am Live they showed an ep w/ some Poplockers/Fred Berry and them that I hope might be on this Bootleg.

76 steez.

Mofos were dancin to Brick - Sunshine/Sunset - last track side A on Good High.......... I would play this shit all the time.

Jb featured some girl named Marva High singin You Dont Love Me If U dont Respect Me. It was the same music track as the Marva Whitney joint......

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Jb featured some girl named Marva High singin You Dont Love Me If U dont Respect Me. It was the same music track as the Marva Whitney joint......

She released a 45 with James Brown as well as Martha High.

• my co-worker copped me a DVD of James Brown's Atlanta tv show -

Shit is crazy hot.

Ive only watched one episode. Anyone know how many he did?

And.....Pickwick, do u hatt on this version of Disco too?

Hell, no. Disco is a lot more tolerable coming from JB, 'cause it still has that funk stank on it.

A friend of mine made me a video with two or three Future Shock eps, and they were just as surreal as they say it was. Just about every song danced to was by either JB or somebody he produced. All the guests are usually somebody he was producing who never really made it, like Leon Austin (JB was so convinced this song was a hit he had Austin lipsync to it TWICE).

Now, who's got the episode where Daryl Rhoades (a white parody-rocker in a Dr. Demento/Weird Al vein) had the balls to appear in a pimp suit, billing himself as Soul Brother #10 1/2, trying to get everybody to do a new dance called the Suicide?

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug..."

• Jb featured some girl named Marva High singin You Dont Love Me If U dont Respect Me. It was the same music track as the Marva Whitney joint......

Huh? There's a Martha High and a Marva High? What is Marva High, like the bizarre offspring of Marva Whitney and Martha High?

Huh? There's a Martha High and a Marva High? What is Marva High, like the bizarre offspring of Marva Whitney and Martha High?

I probably just heard it wrong. She was lookin mad young where i thought Whitney was in her 30's in 75/77.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I've got the ep with High (I think her only single was on Salsoul, I've never seen it though) and one other on VHS - its straight from the OG tapes I guess cuz a timer is running at the bottom the whole time and there are black spaces during the time where the commercials would be.

How many eps are on the bootleg? Is it around online?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Oh, and I'll add that yes this shit is insane (especially the parts where JB is doing anything - he seems woefully unprepared for this whole experience and it gets awkward as hell) and great (mostly the dance scenes, and the FUTURESHOCK tees, posters, etc) and the few things I'd actually label disco from the Godfather are the only shitty tracks (from before the mid-80s) that I've heard from him as well (and I'm saying this as a huge fan of disco)... his late 70s Polydor LPs are not far removed from his early and mid-70s output.

• Oh, and I'll add that yes this shit is insane (especially the parts where JB is doing anything - he seems woefully unprepared for this whole experience and it gets awkward as hell)

...especially when he does those black history segments. Great idea, but the pacing is weird.

On the ones I've seen, they've got all this promotional material on the walls and dangling from the ceiling, just like in a record store...but one of those celing mobiles is a promo for the Atlanta Rhythm Section (a softish, Fender Rhodes-dominated rock band who we'd now call "yacht rock")! Was this JB's subtle hype for his fellow Georgia homeboys? Or was it because they both recorded for Polydor and needed to decorate the studio with anything they could get?

the few things I'd actually label disco from the Godfather are the only shitty tracks (from before the mid-80s) that I've heard from him as well (and I'm saying this as a huge fan of disco)... his late 70s Polydor LPs are not far removed from his early and mid-70s output.

They're not. But you could tell he was still shooting for that audience. Even the single of the Future Shock theme (on People, by Maceo Parker and credited to "Maceo") had JB whispering the word "disco" over the track.

On the ones I've seen, they've got all this promotional material on the walls and dangling from the ceiling, just like in a record store...

yeah, there are JB albums dangling from thr ceilin and every chance he gets he plugs and holds in his hand the Album w/ his silloette w/ electricity thru it.

Why Atlanta? That's my question?

And did Don move the Soul Train production to HollyWood by then? If not when?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    the Album w/ his silloette w/ electricity thru it.

[color:red]B[/color] O [color:red]D[/color] Y [color:red]H[/color] E [color:red]A[/color] T [color:red]![/color] ! [color:red]![/color]

I assume because Macon didn't have a proper television facility?

• On the ones I've seen, they've got all this promotional material on the walls and dangling from the ceiling, just like in a record store...

yeah, there are JB albums dangling from thr ceilin and every chance he gets he plugs and holds in his hand the Album w/ his silloette w/ electricity thru it.

Probably because he lived there. Or at least nearby in Augusta. JB was always namechecking Georgia every chance he got.

And did Don move the Soul Train production to HollyWood by then? If not when?

Long since. Soul Train went nationwide in '71, Future Shock would have debuted around '75, I think.

• Said it before, I'll say it again:

James Brown is the only person I know who could record for a huge conglomerates like Polydor and CBS/Sony, yet still have his album covers looking like small-time, wacky private-press raers. Those albums he produced on his People label by the JB's and Maceo had major, big-bucks Polydor distribution, but look like something the Majestic Arrows would have put out on Bandit!

• ive got a VHS of a bunch of episodes, possibly the entire run...so easy/cool to throw this on the video projector at a soul/funk night and let it run on the big screen...

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Where the hell can I get episodes of this damn it?

• Where the hell can I get episodes of this damn it?

you can start from here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsdy5PeuY8M

but seriously is there an official release on dvd out there ?

• Where the hell can I get episodes of this damn it?

you can start from here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsdy5PeuY8M

but seriously is there an official release on dvd out there ?

theres a bootleg DVD thats has an hour or so on it...five minutes to live put it out...

• Jb featured some girl named Marva High singin You Dont Love Me If U dont Respect Me. It was the same music track as the Marva Whitney joint......

I probably just heard it wrong. She was lookin mad young where i thought Whitney was in her 30's in 75/77.

It's Martha High and Marva Whitney.
    And the song you are talking about ("You don't love me") is not by Marva Whitney, it's a Lyn Collins track. One of her best, IMO.

Martha High always looked mad young .. but she's just one year younger than Marva Whitney.

It's Martha High and Marva Whitney.
    And the song you are talking about ("You don't love me") is not by Marva Whitney, it's a Lyn Collins track. One of her best, IMO.

Martha High always looked mad young .. but she's just one year younger than Marva Whitney.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Oh, and I'll add that yes this shit is insane (especially the parts where JB is doing anything - he seems woefully unprepared for this whole experience and it gets awkward as hell)

Yeah, often it seems like he's just rambling on instead of keeping it short and sweet.

JB (slightly disoriented) introducing Ms. Elaine Thomas, curator of the George Washington Carver Museum:

"Miss Thomas, welcome to have you here this time, I'm glad to have you here and you're welcome, welcome to have you here, glad to have you here, you're perfectly welcome and???it's your ballgame."

Hummena hummena

• Oh, and I'll add that yes this shit is insane (especially the parts where JB is doing anything - he seems woefully unprepared for this whole experience and it gets awkward as hell)

Yeah, often it seems like he's just rambling on instead of keeping it short and sweet.

JB (slightly disoriented) introducing Ms. Elaine Thomas, curator of the George Washington Carver Museum:

"Miss Thomas, welcome to have you here this time, I'm glad to have you here and you're welcome, welcome to have you here, glad to have you here, you're perfectly welcome and???it's your ballgame."

Hummena hummena

THAT WAS AWKWARD

• JB (slightly disoriented) introducing Ms. Elaine Thomas, curator of the George Washington Carver Museum:

Chuckle chuckle. I have the two, count 'em, TWO episodes that featured Ms. Elaine Thomas. I mean, couldn't James Brown pull a more significant guest than that?

• JB (slightly disoriented) introducing Ms. Elaine Thomas, curator of the George Washington Carver Museum:

Chuckle chuckle. I have the two, count 'em, TWO episodes that featured Ms. Elaine Thomas. I mean, couldn't James Brown pull a more significant guest than that?

I don't think that was supposed to be a guest spot. I think that was more like a recurring segment.

I don't think that was supposed to be a guest spot. I think that was more like a recurring segment.

yeeah the first segment was to have her speak on what she does and whay the Museum stands for. He asked if she could come back and speak more in depth about Carver's contributions.

"U see now, u had two white dudes by the name Mr. Skippy and Mr. Jif, take Mr Carver's peanut innovations!!!!"

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

yeeah the first segment was to have her speak on what she does and whay the Museum stands for. He asked if she could come back and speak more in depth about Carver's contributions.

"U see now, u had two white dudes by the name Mr. Skippy and Mr. Jif, take Mr Carver's peanut innovations!!!!"

Someday, somebody's gotta compile a book of weird James Brown nonsequiturs and surreal moments. I think I still have a tape of an old David Letterman episode from '85 where JB was REALLY spacing out - at one point, David asked James a question, then James started singing a line from "Tennessee Waltz" then turned to David and asked something like "...what did you say?"

Someday, somebody's gotta compile a book of weird James Brown nonsequiturs and surreal moments. I think I still have a tape of an old David Letterman episode from '85 where JB was REALLY spacing out - at one point, David asked James a question, then James started singing a line from "Tennessee Waltz" then turned to David and asked something like "...what did you say?"

That Living In America Era of JB was krazy.