coming back to New York City

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
I just received the final confirmation that my wife's application for a job at the UN got accepted... this means that our 3 year stay in West Africa will come to its end in July and we will move to NYC.While we stayed in Africa, we adopted three (not to big) dogs that we won't leave behind. Now we'll have to find a nice place to live in Brooklyn or Queens from where there's a fairly good sunway connection for my wife to go to work. My wife's employer will pay for most of the rent so we should have a more than reasonable budget. Something with a bit of a garden would be great...Anyone out there thinks that's doable?I've lived in NY before from '96-'00 and am looking very forward to be back. Best city I've ever lived in, best people, best food. And I can't wait to come back out of retirement and spinning all those African records...

Comments

• Options
    Welcome back! If she's going to the UN I'd guess that Queens would be the best bet, maybe Long Island City area? (I'm admittedly not the best person to ask when it comes to this though) I know a couple people there who have real nice spots, exactly the type that you're looking for with backyards and all. I can get this one guy's number who can help you out finding a place, he's a real estate broker in LIC and can probably find what you're looking for, if you wanted to go to that area. PM me if you want me to find his number.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There a gang of Condos being built/built in LIC. It sounds like your lookin for a house though.

QueensBridge Projects has plenty of land and great view for real cheap.

• QueensBridge Projects has plenty of land and great view for real cheap.

Frank: great to hear it!

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Long Island City is exactly what you are looking for. LIC is right on the Queens border, so you are also right next to Manhattan and Brooklyn. She can go right through the midtown tunnel and arrive at the UN, or hop on the 7 train to go to the city in minutes. You can ride a bus, or even better ride a bike to Williamsburgh in minutes.

I ride my bike through LIC, into Brooklyn, then hit the Williamsburg bridge into downtown Manhattan. It's pretty easy to avoid mass transit that way if you want, and you ride by a couple of record stores too. There is always some nice eye candy on the way too.

• Fort Greene is where its at. Most trains in NYC, big brownstones, backyards/gardens, trees, racially diverse, couple of african joints, fort greene park, farmers market.

it is further away from UN, but it is great. LIC is cool too, don't get me wrong.
    really excited to be able to hear these raw african joints at the club.

nyc still got it going on.

Fort Green isnt a Fairly good subway connect, but yeah interms of neo diverse yuppie steez w/ a backyard, your right. LIC has a long way to go in terms of culture.

• Fort Green isnt a Fairly good subway connect,

Atlantic Station doesn't have any trains? 2,3,4,5,N,R,Q,W,M and a block or 2 from the C,G
    don't think there is a station in NYC with more trains....
    rep your hood in NYC!

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    B and D also.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Thanx a lot for your input.
    I guess Fort Greene or LIC will be the choice to make.

We could easily afford a place in Manhattan since my wife's employer pays for most of the rent but I guess our three dogs might be a problem here... I've lived in Brooklyn the last time around, on Wyckoff between Smith & Hoyt right at the Bergen street stop of the F Train. We really loved that neighborhood. all those cheap Cuban restaurants, the old Italian delis on Court Street with home made sausages and mozarella... there was so much good food around in that area. On my last visit, I was shocked how the area had changed...

I think I'd prefer Fort Greene but have to see if my wife is okay with this or if she'd prefer something closer to work.

My wife's employer pays for any eventual borkers fees so if any of you know a good real estate broker, please holler!

The more this settles in the more I'm getting excited about moving back!

• i will holler on the PM's when i get some time this week. i know the names of most of the brokers in Fort Greene, local and citywide ones.

• I have nothing against Fort Greene but commuting to the UN from there would be a nightmare compared to LIC or Astoria. Unless you are living right on top of Atlantic Terminals I suppose.

If you have the right money you can get a sweet crib in Manhattan with pet approval. Although that might entail the Upper East Side and that "is not what's cool to be".

Then again who cares about cool. If you want to be cool move to Bushwick, get robbed twice a month and catch Lou Gehrig's disease.

I live in the village and it's sweet but there's just too much opportunity to spend money on stupid shit. A move to Breuckelyn is in my near future.

Merry X-Mas and Have a great day on the Strut.

Fort Green isnt a Fairly good subway connect,

Atlantic Station doesn't have any trains? 2,3,4,5,N,R,Q,W,M and a block or 2 from the C,G
    don't think there is a station in NYC with more trains....
    rep your hood in NYC!

JP-commuting to the UN from there would be a nightmare compared to LIC or Astoria.-JP [/b]

Trainin' it from Fort Greene to the UN =

Especially if u have better options than that. The UN is not "Downtown" and its on the water. Why make it hard on yourself when u can afford not to.

If you have the right money you can get a sweet crib in Manhattan with pet approval. Although that might entail the Upper East Side and that "is not what's cool to be".

At least the Upper East Side is quiet at night.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Thanx a lot for your input, it's really apreciated.
    Somehow I think we'd prefer Brooklyn to Queens or even to Manhattan.

If we'd mannage to find something within walking distance to the Atlantic Ave terminal, my wife should be able to take the 2 or 4 train to Grand Central and be at the UN in what 40 minutes or so? Or am I being unrealistic?

Maybe I'm wrong here and Manhattan would be better...

at least we have plenty of time to figure this out.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i reckon it ain't as bad as africa but we still hood

Published: December 26, 2007

Two teenagers who were fatally shot on a Brooklyn street on Monday were identified by the police Tuesday as the authorities investigated several shootings around the city. The teenagers, Robert Grant, 19, and Oliver Maitland, 16, were each shot in the head in front of a brownstone in the Fort Greene section, the police said.

Mr. Maitland was also shot twice in the torso and once in the arm, the police said.

The victims were walking east on Lefferts Place at about 9:45 p.m. when they were shot, the police said, just a few doors down from where Mr. Grant lived.

They were pronounced dead at the scene. No arrests have been made, and the police said they did not know what had prompted the shooting.

On Tuesday morning, four people were shot and wounded outside a Brooklyn nightclub after a man fired into a crowd, the police said.

The victims, who were male and ages 16 to 21, were struck in the legs. None suffered life-threatening injuries, the police said, and at least two of the victims walked to hospitals.

The shooting occurred outside Club Seabreeze at 556 Nostrand Avenue at 3:45 a.m. No arrests have been made.

Also Tuesday, the police identified the victim of a shooting in the Bronx on Monday as Orlando Clarke, 26.

Mr. Clarke was shot after he pulled his car into a neighbor???s driveway in the Baychester section and a gunman fired six shots at him through the windshield, the police said.

Mr. Clarke was pronounced dead at Jacobi Medical Center. The police have made no arrests.

The authorities are also continuing to seek a group of masked men in connection with a shooting in Co-op City in the Bronx on Monday. At about 7 p.m., the police said, the men got into a fight with a 20-year-old man in the lobby of a building in the complex. The fight spilled out onto a street, where the man was shot in the torso, the authorities said.

The victim was taken to Jacobi Medical Center, where he was in critical condition on Tuesday evening, the authorities said.