Soul Train old re-runs on WGN..Question

Hoosier_DaddyHoosier_Daddy 141 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
For anyone that has been watching the old re-runs on WGN Chicago,name some performances you've seen on there that were dope..I've missed several shows due to either work,or just being out and about..The last few weeks have been AWWWWWFUL though..Right now they (for whatever reason)are stuck on showing episodes from around 77-78,which of course means a lot of horrific disco shit..Their was good music during those years,but it's not being proved on these shows..A couple weeks ago,they had Graham Central Station on,but the 2 songs they played weren't funky at all,straight horrible disco.I wish they would show some episodes from 72-74,when people were doing all the crazy hip dances,along with poplocking,and electric boogie,not the late 70's shit,with all the happy bopping around dancing,shit just wasn't funky in the late 70's like it was in the early 70's..CHANGE THE EPISODES BACK TO THE EARLY 70's PLEASE!Check the re-runs out on WGN on saturday afternoon's at 1pm central time

Comments

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    I've been watching this fairly religiously in hopes of seeing the Majestic Arrows ep. Zulema was on a few weeks back, but it wasn't for her TSOB material.

• For anyone that has been watching the old re-runs on WGN Chicago,name some performances you've seen on there that were dope..

I've missed several shows due to either work,or just being out and about..

The last few weeks have been AWWWWWFUL though..Right now they (for whatever reason)are stuck on showing episodes from around 77-78,which of course means a lot of horrific disco shit..Their was good music during those years,but it's not being proved on these shows..

A couple weeks ago,they had Graham Central Station on,but the 2 songs they played weren't funky at all,straight horrible disco.

I wish they would show some episodes from 72-74,when people were doing all the crazy hip dances,along with poplocking,and electric boogie,not the late 70's shit,with all the happy bopping around dancing,shit just wasn't funky in the late 70's like it was in the early 70's..CHANGE THE EPISODES BACK TO THE EARLY 70's PLEASE!

Check the re-runs out on WGN on saturday afternoon's at 1pm central time

I'm checking it out right now, and sure enough it's a disco ep from late '78 or early '79 (they're dancing to Third World's "Now That We Found Love").

I've been watching these reruns here and there, and you're shit out of luck if you want something from the early seventies - it's all been from the disco/modern soul era, far as I can see.

Oh shit, they're about to show Captain Sky!!!

(Not that I'm neccessarily a fan, but he had such an outrageous image, I wanna see what his "live" act was like...)

• Oh Shit

Captain Sky is on right now

Brass Construction was on earlier..Not one of their better joints though

• I've been watching this fairly religiously in hopes of seeing the Majestic Arrows ep.

I know for sure that the Majestic Arrows were on the local black-and-white Soul Train hosted by Clinton Ghent that aired on WCIU-Channel 26, but do you know for sure that they were on the national Train?

• Oh Shit

Captain Sky is on right now

He wasn't as outrageous as I thought he'd be, but it was still pretty cool, 'specially seeing him during the interview segment, claiming he flew from Chicago to L.A. and landed on top of the "Hyatt Continental!" (A/k/a the Continental Hyatt, which was THEE party hotel for all the seventies rock stars, from Led Zeppelin on down...)

• Thank god i grabbed some YouTube classic old performances from 1972-1975 and added them to my favorites,because i've noticed those old videos are getting harder to find..I've got around 25-30 clips saved

Someone had said Don Cornelius has been threatening YouTbe or some shit.

I guess he's not to hip on people showing clips from the show.

There's a website that has a TON of classic performances of the show,i'm getting ready to search for it now,and i'll post the name of that site up in a little bit.

• For anyone that has been watching the old re-runs on WGN Chicago,name some performances you've seen on there that were dope..

Closest I've seen is a Rick James from '80 where Don Cornelius subtly breaks on Rick and his band's "new wave" attire ("this ain't American Bandstand!"), particularly the one white member who showed up barefoot ("nice shoes, brother!").

Also caught a Staple Singers from '83 or '84 where they sang "Slippery People." But I'd still rather see something from the 1971-75 era.

I've been watching these reruns off and on for maybe a year, and just like when VH1 used to show Bandstand ten years ago, the Train has a weird hard-on for the disco period. I have no idea why they're stuck in that mode. This period of the show is actually good for a giggle (I've been watching those SNL DVD's from the mid-seventies lately, so I kinda have a MILD nostalgia for those years). But I can't get with it musically.

CHANGE THE EPISODES BACK TO THE EARLY 70's PLEASE!

AMEN, BROTHER!!!

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    I've been watching this fairly religiously in hopes of seeing the Majestic Arrows ep.

I know for sure that the Majestic Arrows were on the local black-and-white Soul Train hosted by Clinton Ghent that aired on WCIU-Channel 26, but do you know for sure that they were on the national Train?

I know they were on the Ghent hosted Train, and I'm aware that the national version is different. However, we're in Chicago, and WGN's got the archive open. Until they stop showing, the dream will stay alive.

• Thank god i grabbed some YouTube classic old performances from 1972-1975 and added them to my favorites,because i've noticed those old videos are getting harder to find..I've got around 25-30 clips saved

I've actually bought a few bootleg DVD's from the "good years"...

Someone had said Don Cornelius has been threatening YouTbe or some shit.

I guess he's not to hip on people showing clips from the show.

Well, he better issue that shit for the DVD market then.

There's a website that has a TON of classic performances of the show,i'm getting ready to search for it now,and i'll post the name of that site up in a little bit.

Looking forward to checking it...

And I gotta say, Brass Construction's second song of the show is shockingly FUNKY for the late seventies...no softened disco touches at all! Sounds like something the Ohio Players woulda done in '75! With "Superstition" clavinet and a HARD, blazing Fender Stratocaster hard-rock guitar solo (from Joseph Arthur, I think his name is)! Don't know the song's name, but based on lyric repetition I think it's called something like "One To One."

• Got to

DailyMotion.com

They've got a lot of clasic Soul Train videos

One of my favorites is The Electric Boogaloo Dancers ep

Search Electric Boogaloo and BAM!..Classic performance and interview

Also,just search Soul Train or some of your favorite artist,they've got a lot.

• Got to

DailyMotion.com

They've got a lot of clasic Soul Train videos

One of my favorites is The Electric Boogaloo Dancers ep

Search Electric Boogaloo and BAM!..Classic performance and interview

Also,just search Soul Train or some of your favorite artist,they've got a lot.

thanks man

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    That kiss was so awesomely fake.

Seriously though, why the Frickin' ballads? Shit is straight up boring to watch.

• Yea Dam Funk plays old Soul Train re-runs at his boogie and 80s funk night Funkmosphere in Culver city every monday. LA heads should know the deal.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Is it a local channel they are being broadcast on? Or Cable?

I don't have cable, but I have been watching the Soul Train reruns that are on at 4am when I get home from work saturdays here in the NW.

I was going to start a thread a month or so ago about the beginning and history of lip-synching because one of the guys from the Dells missed his cue. It was kind of hard to find an exact source as to the start of lip-synching, it was definitely long before soultrain but the reasons behind why they did it were clear.

• DailyMotion=Lot's of crazy Parliament Funkadelic vid's,like the rare "Quickie".."Pumpin It Up" and "Generator Bop" performances from Houston 1984

Also,search the Isley Brothers,good stuff,including the Damita Jo Freeman Soul Train Line episode,and Damito Jo can be seen in one of the James Brown clips too.

I could go on forever,like the Curtis Mayfield and O'Jay's clips

• Is it a local channel they are being broadcast on? Or Cable?

It's on cable, being shown through WGN in Chicago.

The summer was great, as they dipped into the early and mid-70's, so it was stuff like Average White Band and War, both of whom played live.

• I was going to start a thread a month or so ago about the beginning and history of lip-synching because one of the guys from the Dells missed his cue. It was kind of hard to find an exact source as to the start of lip-synching, it was definitely long before soultrain but the reasons behind why they did it were clear.

They were doing it on "American Bandstand" as well, and as far as not lip-synching properly, think about it, it's artificial. These days, artists go on tour making sure their stage show is exactly like the choreography in their video, and that's been going on for 20 years. When an artist performed, it didn't have to be 100% like the record, so every "uh" and "yeaaah" or "aaaah" didn't have to be where it was at. Now, if everything isn't sequenced properly, people throw a shit fit.

• WGN is nationwide,unless you live in the boondocks

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    For anyone that has been watching the old re-runs on WGN Chicago,name some performances you've seen on there that were dope..

I've missed several shows due to either work,or just being out and about..

The last few weeks have been AWWWWWFUL though..Right now they (for whatever reason)are stuck on showing episodes from around 77-78,which of course means a lot of horrific disco shit..Their was good music during those years,but it's not being proved on these shows..

A couple weeks ago,they had Graham Central Station on,but the 2 songs they played weren't funky at all,straight horrible disco.

I wish they would show some episodes from 72-74,when people were doing all the crazy hip dances,along with poplocking,and electric boogie,not the late 70's shit,with all the happy bopping around dancing,shit just wasn't funky in the late 70's like it was in the early 70's..CHANGE THE EPISODES BACK TO THE EARLY 70's PLEASE!

Check the re-runs out on WGN on saturday afternoon's at 1pm central time

You sound white

• I'm assuming you're referring to Peaches & Herb doing "Reunited"...

That kiss was so awesomely fake.

Seriously though, why the Frickin' ballads? Shit is straight up boring to watch.

Yeah, but how 'bout my man Herb and his peach-colored prom tuxedo??

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Well, he better issue that shit for the DVD market then

We discuss this twice a year.

I heard he wanted his own cable show of 24hr Soul Train.......