Please recommend me some good hiking shoes.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
It's the last item I have to cross off my list.My Dad says he wants "GOOD, NOT EXPENSIVE" hiking shoes. (Expensive does not always equal good, you know.) I'm not a hiker. Please school me!Thanks!

Comments

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

You can get a low-top canvas hiking shoe by Asolo for $60 at your outdoor shop. They will last with confidence. Check for a Vibram sole.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    I like Trezeta, don't know if they sell em in the US of A.
    Solid, built to last.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

• Good hiking shoes are the ones that fit right. You can't really buy good hiking shoes for another person.

• Good hiking shoes are the ones that fit right. You can't really buy good hiking shoes for another person.

You're absolutely right, but my Dad's not the type that would shop for something like this. At least if I get him some he'll have to excuse to exchange them if he doesn't like them.

Thanks for the input, hoLmeses! Now I'm off to fight the crowds. Bah mothereffing humbug.

• look into Keen. ive been wearing their beefy walking shoe for years and its great for everything including light hikes on woodsy trails etc. amazing durability and really cuts down on foot pain. about $85. they have more boot-ish ones too, for heavier duty stuff.

• Depends on the terrain and length of walks etc. The canvas hiking shoes are good for dryer environments and are a lot lighter but if you are walking through mud, snow,wet grass etc they will suck. I used to be a keen bushwalker before baby and domesticity and did a lot of 100km+ treks and I would recommend good leather boots like Scarpa (italian) they do last forever
    but at around US$200 aren't cheap

It is all about ankle support and keeping the water out and the heavier leather boots do offer this (coated with snow seal) I have a pair of lighter boots for dry country and leather one for wetter environments

You may also need a pair of gaiters