Bay Area oyster companies

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Me and the in-laws are thinking of hitting up Tomales Bay Oyster Co. this upcoming week but was wondering if anyone has also sampled Hog Island or Johnston's Farm and had a pref? I like Tomales Bay b/c it's low rent but I suppose that could be a knock against it too. But Hog Island charges $5 to sit at a picnic table...WEAK. (Unless that comes with a heat lamp or something). 'Bout to get my shucking skills back up to par...

Comments

• what up O

• I've only been to Hog Island, but I don't remember having to pay for a bench. No heat lamp. It is low rent. Basically a tray with a shucking knife and a pile of oysters. I've never gone with a big group, just my girlpartner, bread, cheese, and some wine. You need to bring everything with you like plates and forks. You can use their BBQs too. I'd like to go again. It'll be cold.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I've only been to Hog Island, but I don't remember having to pay for a bench. No heat lamp. It is low rent. Basically a tray with a shucking knife and a pile of oysters. I've never gone with a big group, just my girlpartner, bread, cheese, and some wine. You need to bring everything with you like plates and forks. You can use their BBQs too. I'd like to go again. It'll be cold.

Hog Island - on weekdays no less - charges $5 a head for use of their picnic tables. That's why I roll with Tomales Bay even though it's likely to be on the chilly side, especially when you're shucking with your bare hands. But man, some of them extra-small ones, with some hot sauce and lemon?