When I Fell in Love...

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
...it was forever.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    OK, I usually don't get pushy with my posts, if they crash and burn, they crash and burn. The people have spoken and all that. But I am at work on a dead day and I am feeling pushy. No one likes/hates this record? If I were to put together a first-date-hoping-to-get-past-the-gate package, this record would def be in it.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    i dont have it but i recon its worth pickin up if i see it.

its not something youll find in dollerbins overhere.

• OK, I usually don't get pushy with my posts, if they crash and burn, they crash and burn. The people have spoken and all that.

Yeah, nothing worse than somebody who asks a question, then after no one responds, a half-hour later they be like: "No one here knows the answer? I'm taking that shit to The Breaks.com..."

But I am at work on a dead day and I am feeling pushy. No one likes/hates this record? If I were to put together a first-date-hoping-to-get-past-the-gate package, this record would def be in it.

For reals?

I couldn't get into it.

By his own admission, Isaac was blind drunk when he recorded that album, and he sounds it, slurring words left and right. Based on that, I thought it was gonna be a good record, but even as a goof I don't think this LP really works.

I actually do see this album all the time, both the version seen above and the later reissue on Atlantic (as In The Beginning).

It is a slow and sexy record. It's a three piece (with Dunn and Jackson Jr), even though it comes across as so much more. It's sparse, but oh so dense in atmosphere. Little drum fills here, Isaac Hayes growls there and drawn out songs that never lose their way. The record is super hot. I'm not certain, but I think it's an off the cuff recording that they did after some party.

• I'm not certain, but I think it's an off the cuff recording that they did after some party.

it is

But I am at work on a dead day and I am feeling pushy. No one likes/hates this record? If I were to put together a first-date-hoping-to-get-past-the-gate package, this record would def be in it.

For reals?

I couldn't get into it.

By his own admission, Isaac was blind drunk when he recorded that album, and he sounds it, slurring words left and right. Based on that, I thought it was gonna be a good record, but even as a goof I don't think this LP really works.

It is one of those records, I agree - it either works for you or it doesn't. Expansive and deliberate build-up songs for some, can be meandering, go nowhere jams for others. The first few times I heard it, I didn't really feel too much about it, but recently, it really got to me and I'm not even one of those "put the lights down, put on a record and come here and sit next to me on the couch" kind of person. [color:white] (I guess it's that end-of-the-year h*rn* thing - lol) [/color]
    As far as the getting trashed at a party and then making a record, I can't say there are too many people I'd want to hear from under those circumstances!