Ultimate New Years Eve Midnight Songs

djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
i ask myself this question every year. this year i will be playing in a packed club on new years and when the ball drops, i want to play as near a perfect new years cut as possible. 1999 only worked once. isn't there some brothers johnson joint that counts down to 1? what will you be playing my fellow disco jockeys?thanking you in advance and wishing you and yours the happiest of holidays!king oss

Comments

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

• I'm probably not spinning this year (for once a man just want ta drank) but Black on White Affair's version of Auld Lang Sang (available on the Wheedle's Groove comp) works very well. Heavily funky and, well, obviously appropriate.

• you won't want to play it....but "one more time".

• t connection - at midnight

or

mary wilson - midnight dancer

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Soul 2 Soul - Back To Life

...steady are you ready, what's going on.........

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    In my opinion, it's less about playing something that is New Years specific (ie countdown or lyrics that are about new years, midnight etc.), and more about playing the most bangin track possible. Most places cut the music for the countdown, so you can come back with any tempo, genre etc you want. I think it's a good idea to switch up the vibe at midnight, so if you have been playing a lot of hip hop, play a funk or disco track. If you have been playing classics, play a hip hop track. Try to pick something that catches them off guard, but bangs really really hard.

If you are on Microwave, make a crate with about ten possible tracks of different genres, so when the time comes you can feel out the audience.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    In my opinion, it's less about playing something that is New Years specific (ie countdown or lyrics that are about new years, midnight etc.), and more about playing the most bangin track possible.

I agree. Everyone is screaming and/or trying get close to someone to kiss, so no one is listening to the lyrics of the song. It's all about energy. When I've played, it's always been for Caitlin and Chad, so all my ideas are wack. As corny as it is, "One More Time" works. It bangs like hell and the epic breakdown is something else. I don't really like the track but I can't be mad at it.

• for all the saps that didnt get a kiss at midnight....Manhattans "Alone on New years Eve" really Frickin' loud...and pitched down...