Best Digital Mixing Software(PC DJing related)

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
A younger cousin of mine wants to start messing w/ mixing, but cannot seem to be talked out of going the digital route(i've tried talking him out of it). Does anyone know anything about this stuff? What is the industry standard when it comes to that kind of thing? He mentioned several different names of software programs(SAM something or 'nother was one), but I had never heard of any of them. I did some googling(for forums,reviews,etc)..but everything I read was from idiots that didn't sound like they knew what they were talking about(and never even touched a turntable in their life). If he is determined on going this route, he mine as well use the best program available. Anyone w/ experience or knowledge of this stuff? How does the actual mixing even sound? Can you tell it's being done w/ a PC program or no?

Comments

• anyone?

• I don't know any specific programs besides things that use external hardware (Microwave, etc.), but maybe you can acquire a copy of ableton for him. Then he can throw all kinds of stuff in there and he'll be the mixmaster. I don't have it, but have seen people use it and it's pretty crazy. It will help him match up two songs tempo wise. It would be a jump start into it, but he'd probably end up missing out on the understanding of how songs are traditionally mixed (pitched) and would end up thinking everything can be smooshed together.

He may end up doing some totally obnoxious things with it, but maybe that's what he wants.

hopefully that helps a little.

• I don't know any specific programs besides things that use external hardware (Microwave, etc.), but maybe you can acquire a copy of ableton for him. Then he can throw all kinds of stuff in there and he'll be the mixmaster. I don't have it, but have seen people use it and it's pretty crazy. It will help him match up two songs tempo wise. It would be a jump start into it, but he'd probably end up missing out on the understanding of how songs are traditionally mixed (pitched) and would end up thinking everything can be smooshed together.

He may end up doing some totally obnoxious things with it, but maybe that's what he wants.

hopefully that helps a little.

Thanks, I have never really looked into Ableton..even though I know its really popular.

To be honest, this is what I see him doing w/ this software..
    "He may end up doing some totally obnoxious things with it, but maybe that's what he wants."

• I think Tractor is what your looking for. Ableton is more of a production interface but you can kinda misuse it to make it work as a DJ application. Check out tractor though.

• mrdeemrdee 29 Posts
    try this http://djdecks.be/
    i have only heard good things about this program
    good software, good price, good people