The King Of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
My apologies if this has already been posted. I would like to let you SoulStrutting fools know about an amazingly entertaining documentary; THe King Of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters.I know that some of you, less nerdy Strutters, are thinking "I'll pass on that video game bullshit, kthnxbye", but I think even people with absolutely no interest in video games will enjoy this film...hell my wife did. King Of Kong is a documentary which chronicles the past history of record holding King Kong Players (and the video game fanboys who worship them) and films as one man goes on his quest to find his place atop the pack. Obviously any documentary attempting to capture this cult movement of OG gamers has it's fair share of hilarious moments; this film is full of that. However, what blew me away (and what makes this such a great film to me) is the films ability to successfully draw you in and make you really really empathize and root for the main study of the film. I really think anyone who enjoys documentaries will love this film. Don't sleep on The King Of Kong!SPOILER WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!: THERE IS A POST BY SOMEONE WHICH GIVES AWAY A BIT OF THE ENDING. NOT A BIG DEAL, BUT I ADVISE THAT YOU AVOID IT IF YOU WANT TO FULLY ENJOY THE MOVIE

Comments

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Cosigned. I jumped the gun and watched some unfinished version which I downloaded but I found it thoroughly enjoyable and fascinating. And hilarious and somewhat creepy.

• Do I qualify as a nerd if I admit I have a old school Donkey Kong coin-op in my "computer room"? (does it help that I only paid $50 for it and it is in great condition?)

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Do I qualify as a nerd if I admit I have a old school Donkey Kong coin-op in my "computer room"? (does it help that I only paid $50 for it and it is in great condition?)

If you can get past level 4, then yes you are a nerd.....but that's cool because nerds are the shit. Embrace it.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    My favorite film of 07'.

Massive

Billy Mitchell always has a plan!

• My favorite film of 07'.

Massive

He already won back the high score again. It's posted on the twin gallaxies website. Dude is seriously

My favorite film of 07'.

Massive

He already won back the high score again. It's posted on the twin gallaxies website. Dude is seriously

Yo, you should edit this shit homie!!! Don't ruin it for the others. At least put spoiler warning on that shit....

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    My favorite film of 07'.

Massive

SPOILERS

I loved this movie, too, and looked at the web site after it to find this update. Honestly, it all looked a little suspect to me. I read some of the site's descriptions of different games/tournaments and I felt like Billy had a hand in writing them based on how much they were skewed towards praising him and being backhanded or disparaging to his opponenents.

• apart from NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, THE KING OF KONG was the best movie i saw this year.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    wow, i need to see this. anyone got internet viewing info? i cant wait till January 29th.
    to the PM..

I remember when it was in theatres and it never came to Santa Fe.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    apart from NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, THE KING OF KONG was the best movie i saw this year.

Word. I heard they're trying to sell this as a narrative feature...which I think would kind of suck.

apart from NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, THE KING OF KONG was the best movie i saw this year.

Word. I heard they're trying to sell this as a narrative feature...which I think would kind of suck.

Yeah, I hear that they are looking at Johnny Depp to be Billy Mitchel, haha, seriously.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    THE KING OF KONG was the best movie i saw this year.

Didn't Southpark already do it?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

• looked at the web site after it to find this update. Honestly, it all looked a little suspect to me. I read some of the site's descriptions of different games/tournaments and I felt like Billy had a hand in writing them based on how much they were skewed towards praising him and being backhanded or disparaging to his opponenents.

wasn't that one of the main points of the movie, that the whole system had been manipulated by billy mitchell? i also think this a fantastic movie that totally transcends the subject matter and goes to the heart of what it takes to make it in America.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    looked at the web site after it to find this update. Honestly, it all looked a little suspect to me. I read some of the site's descriptions of different games/tournaments and I felt like Billy had a hand in writing them based on how much they were skewed towards praising him and being backhanded or disparaging to his opponenents.

wasn't that one of the main points of the movie, that the whole system had been manipulated by billy mitchell? i also think this a fantastic movie that totally transcends the subject matter and goes to the heart of what it takes to make it in America.

absolutely, I'm just saying I don't necessarily believe any claims he has about top scores, especially those he submits on grainy VHS tapes w/ blips and possible edits.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Yer, that one, and 'More Crap', or the 'Bono is the the bigest turd ever' episode. Which has a pretty similar plot to King of Kong, but unstead of video games, its giant turds.

• Just saw this last night and it was pretty much the best film I've seen in a minute. Billy Mitchell's got a very fragile ego and come off like complete douchebag. He obviously edited that tape with the million plus high score. Also, Steve Wiebe's drumming is not too shabby....

Very cool flick...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Steve Wiebe
    is a golden god.