Toussaint pseudonyms

LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Read on the back of an Etta James record the other day that Allen Toussaint used the pseudonym Frank Tableporter. Anyone know more about this?I also know he used Naomi Neville (his mums name) and Toussan as other pseudonyms...anyone know any others to check for...or can add to this?cheersLoko

Comments

• His first album, on RCA, was released under the name of "Tousan."

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    His first album, on RCA, was released under the name of "Tousan."

One of my favorite covers of all-time.

I've found this 2-3 times over the years but have always wondered how it sold north of the Mason-Dixon line.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I've found this 2-3 times over the years but have always wondered how it sold north of the Mason-Dixon line.

I have found it 2-3 times in the Pacific Northwest.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I have found it 4-5 times in the Northeast.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

I have found the re-ish 3-4 times in New Zealand.

Did it sell SOUTH of the Mason-Dixon?

Don't know?? I always assumed the copies I found were bought in New Orleans??

I dunno, assuming that the album was R&B-oriented, it came out at a time when rhythm & blues was still a singles market, so if it sold at all, more power to him.

I dunno, assuming that the album was R&B-oriented, it came out at a time when rhythm & blues was still a singles market, so if it sold at all, more power to him.

I wonder if this was still in print when Al Hirt had the hit with Java. I think when I have seen it in collections they were more Al Hirtish than R&Bish...

I guess not, Java was a hit for Hirt in 1964.

• Read on the back of an Etta James record the other day that Allen Toussaint used the pseudonym Frank Tableporter. Anyone know more about this?
    I also know he used Naomi Neville (his mums name) and Toussan as other pseudonyms...anyone know any others to check for...or can add to this?

cheers

Loko

Not a single-name pseudonym, but keep in mind that the Rhine Oaks was Toussaint with various and sundry Meters...

Read on the back of an Etta James record the other day that Allen Toussaint used the pseudonym Frank Tableporter. Anyone know more about this?
    I also know he used Naomi Neville (his mums name) and Toussan as other pseudonyms...anyone know any others to check for...or can add to this?

cheers

Loko

Not a single-name pseudonym, but keep in mind that the Rhine Oaks was Toussaint with various and sundry Meters...

How about a list of all his labels and production companys?

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    My first mission is to go back thru all my shit and see if I can spot any other songs under the Tableporter monkier (only got the Etta James one Come My Way).

will post up any I find....

I heard he got ganked on one song by Otis Redding and co...the somg was 'written' by Naomi Neville, and Redding and his managerput out a cover credited to them...cant rememebr the name of the track though....

My first mission is to go back thru all my shit and see if I can spot any other songs under the Tableporter monkier (only got the Etta James one Come My Way).

I heard he got ganked on one song by Otis Redding and co...the somg was 'written' by Naomi Neville, and Redding and his managerput out a cover credited to them...cant rememebr the name of the track though....

Pain In My Heart? I think he mighta writ it for Irma Thomas.

• My first mission is to go back thru all my shit and see if I can spot any other songs under the Tableporter monkier (only got the Etta James one Come My Way).

...under the name "Ruler Of My Heart"

• Read on the back of an Etta James record the other day that Allen Toussaint used the pseudonym Frank Tableporter. Anyone know more about this?

cheers

Loko

Alon
    Sansu
    Deesu
    Kansu

...under the name "Ruler Of My Heart"

Right. I knew that something wasn't clicking. I love that Irma Thomas track and the others she did with Toussaint back then. There is a Minit lp with them.

Alon
    Sansu
    Deesu
    Kansu
    Seasaint

• How about a list of all his labels and production companys?

Alon
    Sansu
    Deesu
    Kansu

Seasaint

Which reminds me, Tou-Sea...

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

Isnt that the track that Otis redding and his manager did a cover of and then creditted themselves as the writers?

Alon
    Sansu
    Deesu
    Kansu

Seasaint

Which reminds me, Tou-Sea...
    I just saw GOOML,W is published by Marsaint.

Found an LP yesterday by Pluto Shervington out of Miami.

One of the musicians is listed as Toussaint L'Overture on Fender Rhodes??

Any idea who this might be??

Can't possibly be dude's real name.....can it??

• Found an LP yesterday by Pluto Shervington out of Miami.

One of the musicians is listed as Toussaint L'Overture on Fender Rhodes??

Any idea who this might be??

Can't possibly be dude's real name.....can it??

It could...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

I heard that an industry hand (can't recall the name) changed Toussaint to Tousan because the original was too ethnic-sounding, or something like that. I'm not sure if Toussaint knew this until the LP was issued.

I heard that an industry hand (can't recall the name) changed Toussaint to Tousan because the original was too ethnic-sounding, or something like that. I'm not sure if Toussaint knew this until the LP was issued.

"Toussaint, that sounds French! Lets call him Allan Freedom. Goddam surrender monkeys."

"Toussaint, that sounds French! Lets call him Allan Freedom. Goddam surrender monkeys."

Hilarious

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Hilarious

One account (not the one I read about), from the Home of the Groove blog:

"Java" (Toussaint-Tyler-Schack)
    Al Tousan, from The Wild Sound of New Orleans by Tousan, RCA, 1958

While he shared writing credit with Red Tyler and the mysterious Marilyn Schack, Allen Toussaint wrote ???Java??? and a passel of other tunes on the fly for a recording date in 1958 set up by Danny Kessler, a talent scout and record producer, who had heard the young man???s piano skills during a session for another artist. He had already played on numerous recordings, but Toussaint had not yet released anything in his own name. The first two songs recorded were ???Whirlaway??? and ???Happy Times???, both instrumentals released on an RCA single in the name of Al Tousan (Kessler???s attempt to simplify Toussaint???s name)[/b]. A few weeks later, ten more instrumentals were recorded, resulting in the now legendary album, The Wild Sound of New Orleans by Tousan. Toussaint, who will be 67 on January 14, has discounted the compositions on his first album as hastily created and cut, some being no more than extended riffs; but they well display his fine chops, his influences (Professor Longhair, Albert Ammons, Ray Charles, Lloyd Glenn, among others), and, in the case of ???Java???, his developing flair for melodic hooks.

The other players Toussaint assembled for the sessions were all A-list studio musicians: Alvin ???Red??? Tyler, baritone sax; Nat Perrilliat or Lee Allen, tenor sax; Justin Adams or Roy Montrell, guitar; Frank Fields, bass; and Charles ???Hungry??? Williams, drums. A listen to Williams??? tricked out, quirky syncopation on this tune shows why he was in demand back in the day. Many musicians, including Toussaint and Dr. John, attest to the skills and unique character of this mostly forgotten name in New Orleans percussive history.

When Toussaint was in the Army in 1964, he was shocked one day to hear ???Java??? on the radio, as recorded by Al Hirt. Hirt???s version was a big hit and insured that the song would live on (and pay off), even if the original was forgotten. Toussiant???s entire first album plus sessions he did a year later for Seville Records can be found on the Bear Family CD, The Complete Tousan Sessions. The original LP and related singles are all very hard to come by, although the album was re-issued on vinyl in the UK ten years or more ago. I???ll be favoring you with more from Allen Toussaint (recorded live) for his birthday. Stay tuned.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Additionally, from Lindsay Planer of AMG:

Toussaint revealed to a reviewer that he "had no involvement in the titles of the songs. When I played them, I referred to them as 'Song Number One,' 'Song Number Two' and so on. It wasn't until the record came out that I was informed Kessler had chosen to name each piece after a different racehorse."