Inappropriate /Unflattering Liner Notes

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
ok, probably like most of you, i love reading the liner notes. here are a couple that struck me for how unflattering or hostile (albeit likely accurate) they seem to be towards the artist or the music they are ostensibly trying to promote. please post examples in this vein...Ronnie Foster "sweet revival": "let me begin by saying this is not the greatest Jazz album you've ever heard...this is a commercial album that could have just as easily been titled ronnie foster plays hits of the 70's with strings and voices".Steel Dan "aja": ...after Donald and Walter had been apprised of my identity, there was trouble...Unfortunately, both cassettes were seized under grievous circumstances by a fellow whom I believe to be in the employ of the reluctant interviewees...my relationship with the belligerent song writing duo had become so strained as to produce a dialog that consisted mainly of threats, insults, and rude remarks.and then he drops this gem at the end: the song is... "a vehicle for the coy pianistics of Victor Feldman, whose labors are capriciously undermined by Walter Becker's odd, Djangoesque guitar and pointlessly obscene lyric

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Well, at least they kept it real. :ewf:

ok, probably like most of you, i love reading the liner notes. here are a couple that struck me for how unflattering or hostile (albeit likely accurate) they seem to be towards the artist or the music they are ostensibly trying to promote. please post examples in this vein...

Ronnie Foster "sweet revival": "let me begin by saying this is not the greatest Jazz album you've ever heard...this is a commercial album that could have just as easily been titled ronnie foster plays hits of the 70's with strings and voices".

Steel Dan "aja": ...after Donald and Walter had been apprised of my identity, there was trouble...Unfortunately, both cassettes were seized under grievous circumstances by a fellow whom I believe to be in the employ of the reluctant interviewees...my relationship with the belligerent song writing duo had become so strained as to produce a dialog that consisted mainly of threats, insults, and rude remarks.

and then he drops this gem at the end: the song is... "a vehicle for the coy pianistics of Victor Feldman, whose labors are capriciously undermined by Walter Becker's odd, Djangoesque guitar and pointlessly obscene lyric

• Steel Dan "aja": ...after Donald and Walter had been apprised of my identity, there was trouble...Unfortunately, both cassettes were seized under grievous circumstances by a fellow whom I believe to be in the employ of the reluctant interviewees...my relationship with the belligerent song writing duo had become so strained as to produce a dialog that consisted mainly of threats, insults, and rude remarks.

and then he drops this gem at the end: the song is... "a vehicle for the coy pianistics of Victor Feldman, whose labors are capriciously undermined by Walter Becker's odd, Djangoesque guitar and pointlessly obscene lyric

Those were done like that on purpose, because they enjoy eating porpoise.

• I was real interested in reading Jay Dilla's liner notes in his "Welcome 2 Detroit" album. He breaks down and explains the process and setting for most of the tracks. Shiiiiiiiit, I would even put on the LP and read along to the liner notes so maybe I could get an understanding of how he was flipping a lot of samples and the techniques he was using (SO STORYTIME READ ALONG BOOK RIGHT NOW!). but in the "shout-out" section he says something to the effect: "If it was up to me I would much rather do a 'fuck you' list thank a thank you". That shit always kind of caught me off-guard and sort of unbecoming of the dude.

• he is just being honest, and who can blame him for feeling that way

• My recent fav....

Shine on Brightly by Procol Harum

Dear michaek, here are your liner notes. I wonder if you wanted me to write about procol Harum, or this album, or music or life or whatever. I know very little about this record, you know; I cant figure out from the dub, and what you told me, whether side two contains one, two, or three works. Don't worry; I don't care. If I did, I could call denny in england: no expense should be spared for facts that matter. But this is not a matter of fact. This is just a record album. I am amused by how difficult it seems to have been for keith to write the words for this album-no, not to write them, but to choose them.....

written by Paul Williams.

its not really that its a rude one... it just seems to arrogant and self important. Eventually he kinda goes on to be nicer and give dap. but i find that beggining funny...

who is paul williams?

• later in it he says...

Have you noticed how much the first procol album (which was so influenced by Blonde on Blonde) influenced the music of Big Pink?

i like that he had to call out their influences as if they were biting or something.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Reading the liner notes to "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" by Gil Scott-Heron, it struck me that the writer said something to the effect of "this is a great collection of songs by Gil Scott-Heron EXCEPT for the title track". I don't have the album myself (weak, I know), so I can't remember his exact wording, but that seemed kinda weird to me.

• who is paul williams?

He's a music journalist who has done his share of liner notes and books, and is known for his work with Crawdaddy and other music magazines:
    http://paulwilliams.com/

The liner notes in question came to be after Williams did a review for the first Procol Harum album:
    http://www.procolharum.com/craw_ph.htm

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    "My voice sounds like goose farts on a a foggy morning."

• "My voice sounds like goose farts on a a foggy morning."

I think that was from Leo Kottke, who was dissing himself on HIS OWN record.

Other examples I can think of:

Marvin Gaye's subtly snarky liners to his own What's Going On: "After some several days of (...) general thought (which is very unusual), I still can't think of any non-complimentary things to write about myself. I guess I'll just have to give credit to some good people who, without their help, I could have completed this project a lot faster."

Ben Edmonds' notes to the 1972 Hour Glass (pre-Allman Bros.) reissue on United Artists, which flat-out said that "the music on these two discs is not very good," but since all you diehard Allmans fans were almost begging UA to reissue their albums, you asked for it! (Well, I'd rather listen to Hour Glass than the Allmans, but that's another thread.)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    "My voice sounds like goose farts on a a foggy morning."

I think that was from Leo Kottke, who was dissing himself on HIS OWN record.

Exactly, and a very famous example.

"the music on these two discs is not very good," but since all you diehard Allmans fans were almost begging UA to reissue their albums, you asked for it! (Well, I'd rather listen to Hour Glass than the Allmans, but that's another thread.)

I was thinking about the same thing. But I still like those first 3 AB records.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I remember the liner notes of Desmond Dekker and the Aces's "Israelite" LP referring to Desmond as a "27-year old boy[/b]..."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak