Mid 90s Indie Hip-Hop Question: DUTCHMIN

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Yo, I was just checking on this Dutchmin "Get Your Swerve On" record and looking at www.discogs.com it has it being on Dolo (aka Stretch Armstrong's imprint) from 1997. HOWEVER, I was working at Armand's Records in Philly in 1996 and we had this record in stock, and I actually don't remember it being on Dolo.Did this come out on a smaller label before Dolo picked it up? Did this come out at all in 1996? I really think it did but I don't have the record at all to verify it.Any help / info is much appreciated.By the way, here's the MP3:

Comments

• I was up at Sandbox around that time and I recall it being on Dolo.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    The original pressing was on Street Life Entertainment in '96.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The original pressing was on Street Life Entertainment in '96.

Word man, a yellow label right?

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    yes

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yo, I was just checking on this Dutchmin "Get Your Swerve On" record and looking at www.discogs.com it has it being on Dolo (aka Stretch Armstrong's imprint) from 1997. HOWEVER, I was working at Armand's Records in Philly in 1996 and we had this record in stock, and I actually don't remember it being on Dolo.

Did this come out on a smaller label before Dolo picked it up? Did this come out at all in 1996? I really think it did but I don't have the record at all to verify it.

Any help / info is much appreciated.

By the way, here's the MP3:

Ha- a Beni B classic back in the day. He used to cut that shit up for weeks on his radio show.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I love it when I'm right.

• great track...
    the 96 version is slightly different

• thats the 96 version in your mp3!
    first heard it on a tape of stretch armstrong and hadnt heard it since.
    i got dolo version which is def cool,too

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    TONY!!!!!!!

• YO!!!! GET YER SWERVE ON

• EXPECT WRECK!

I remember getting these old dj three tapes and he would always have the best indie rap joints, dude killed me with "pop da brown hornet" joints.

• Options

I remember getting these old dj three tapes and he would always have the best indie rap joints, dude killed me with "pop da brown hornet" joints.

"Black on black crime, you know it's gotta stop"...that track has gotten burn on Mr Cee's noon show a couple times this past year. There was another Pop track that came out in early 2000's, I think it was called "I'm So" or something like that, kinda heat at the time.

The same kid who I mentioned in the "What's the most expensive record you ever sold" thread, the one who spent 100 on Juggaknots, he offered me 100 on the Dolo version of the Dutchmin record too. Only had one so I held it. Never knew about the earlier version until I saw Sheep sell one last year. One of my favorite old underground songs right there.

• he offered me 100 on the Dolo version of the Dutchmin record too. Only had one so I held it. Never knew about the earlier version until I saw Sheep sell one last year. One of my favorite old underground songs right there.

at that offer, that is

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    EXPECT WRECK!

OH SHIT
    yo man do you have some rips of them dj three tapes? i have a very shitty rip of the tape he did with dj eclipse battle zone or sumthin..dude who ripped it recorded also the windows xp sounds with it

and wtf 100bucks for the dolo version?? i see this record ALWAYS for 10bucks when im diggin in zurich

• Options
    EXPECT WRECK!

OH SHIT

yo man do you have some rips of them dj three tapes? i have a very shitty rip of the tape he did with dj eclipse battle zone or sumthin..dude who ripped it recorded also the windows xp sounds with it

and wtf 100bucks for the dolo version?? i see this record ALWAYS for 10bucks when im diggin in zurich

The kid I'm talking about was the local marcofunk for certain underground hiphop records at the time (Juggaknots, Dutchmin, Cenobites, Arsonists, West Coast Hiero-related stuff etc.), and this is 7 years ago. Most of the records he was balling after could probably be had for around 10 bucks these days, maybe cheaper who knows I'm not in tune with these sorts of markets. By no means does that one-time opportunity speak to the current monetary value of the record. I forget what I wrote in the "what was the most expensive record you ever sold" thread, but it spoke to the impulsive nature of the homie at the time. Good for him though, he makes his living off djing now so I guess he knew what he was doing.