D'Angelo Maxwell

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
What happened to them?I like their music... yet they fell off the face of the earth.Help, plaese.

Comments

• Maxwell is reportedly working on a trilogy of albums and was last spotted w/ the hypnotic brass ensemble:

As for D'Angelo: no news i knew of besides his guestspots on recent Common & Roy Hargrove albums...

• D'Angelo murder it on the Snoop album. I got a mp3 of a newer track that he's done, it's okay. Sorta like an bossa influenced instrumental.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I think that D'angelo (http://www.myspace.com/dangeloarcher) has been dealing with some serious drug issues over the past several years. Not sure exactly what's up with him these days but I wish him all the best. I love that dude.

I've heard interesting stories about Maxwell and certain "conflicts" that he's gone through with Columbia. He's still recording and (according to his Myspace page http://www.myspace.com/maxwell) he's releasing some new material over the course of the next 3 years.

• I think that D'angelo has been dealing with some serious drug issues over the past several years. Not sure exactly what's up with him these days but I wish him all the best. I love that dude.

I've heard interesting stories about Maxwell and certain "conflicts" that he's gone through with Columbia. He's still recording and (according to his Myspace page http://www.myspace.com/maxwell) he's releasing some new material over the course of the next 3 years.

Conlict that he's gay and the label doesn't know how to work that?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I heard about 3 new d'angelo tracks that are supposed to be amazing, but he need to clean up his act before the label will put them out. i heard he gained a lot of weight.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    D'Angelo murder it on the Snoop album.

when i first heard d on imagine i was like his whole style was switched,
    but man that shit grew on me.
    "Be-fore you go/Can you imagine"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I dont think either of them can recapture the magic they once had.

Once Maxwell stopped dealing w/ Stewart Matthewman of Sade, he never was the same.

And D'Angelo Voodoo is genius, but the window of opportunity has closed IMO.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    D'Angelo is fat and Maxwell is gay.

That's what's up.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    D'Angelo is fat and Maxwell is gay.

That's what's up.

Yeah in my opinion that IS WHAT'S UP.

• I dunno how/why Maxwell ever got lumped with D'Angelo. D'Angelo is fresh. Maxwell always was/is/will be SOFT AS FUCK. His music is weak. Bye.

• Yo, you just played yourself.

nah man. to even mention D'Angelo and Maxwell in the same sentence does an extreme disservice to D'Angelo. really they have nothing to do with each other.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I ride for Maxwell (pasue) regardless of his sexuality, but whenever he sings on a rap song it's terrible. Exhibit A - that disco joint he did with Nas.

Yo, you just played yourself.

nah man. to even mention D'Angelo and Maxwell in the same sentence does an extreme disservice to D'Angelo. really they have nothing to do with each other.

Bullshit.

They along w/ Badu helped change the R&B game.

Maxwell's first album is INCREDIBLE.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

As is "Embrya" and even more so "Now" (which is my favorite, that shit is mature.)

Bullshit.

They along w/ Badu helped change the R&B game.

I'ma nip this in the bud and respectfully disagree. I don't think we're gonna convince each other on this. I'ma go to lunch and come back when this thread has (hopefully) become a gay-issues related thread.

As is "Embrya" and even more so "Now" (which is my favorite, that shit is mature.)

EMBRYA(quasi-concept) is cool too, but URBAN HANG SUITE is like the missing SADE album while she was on hiatus.

I saw Maxwell live @ Hammerstein and ive never been in a place where woman scream like that.
    Dude had a tight fuckin band. One of the best performances ive ever seen.

NOW hasnt stuck to my gut as a whole. There are some bangin tracks but it fell short for me.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
    To diss Maxwell is one thing (Tho IMO the guy has a lot of talent). But hating on the actual music of Urban Hang Suite is NAGL X 100000000

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    To diss Maxwell is one thing (Tho IMO the guy has a lot of talent). But hating on the actual music of Urban Hang Suite is NAGL X 100000000

I see where D'Angelo and Maxwell might appeal to a slightly different demographic. D has a lot more hip-hop swagger and pedigree, while Maxwell is on some straight grown and sexy late night shiznit. I can't agree with dissing one but not the other though. Both of them do soul music, straight up.

Urban Hang Suite is still that shit. I'm mega -

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I lumped them together because it seems like they put out two great R&B records around the same time them poof... disappeared.

I lumped them together because it seems like they put out two great R&B records around the same time them poof... disappeared.

They are joined at the hip because that started the NEO SOUL movement, along wif Badu.

• Urban hang suite is a shagging classic it probably helped a lot of guys get laid in 96 (myself included)

Some can diss it for being soft but I rode with that CD in 96

Stuart Matthewmans Sweetback CD was a winner at the time too

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

They are joined at the hip because that started the NEO SOUL movement, along wif Badu.

Some say that the "creation" of Neo-soul started with Tony! Toni! Ton??! (and also some crediting Mint Condition as well) but it was definitely the D'Angelo, Maxwell and Badu triumvirate that solidified it.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    badu seems down right prolific compared to those two.she's posed to have a new album coming out,can't wait.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,906 Posts
    D'Angelo's head is west. Dude was apparently really insecure despite his massive talent. Too much snow white = drug-induced psychosis. A tough one to beat. Dude also sees himself as a latter-day Donny Hathaway (who ended up topping himself @ 33 years of age)...

Maxwell seemed to ditch anything funky after the first set and just went for the shagging tunes, which were immaculately performed but an album of tunes exactly the same is just a FFWD fest.

His live band were horrifically tight though. That live MTV Unplugged set has some corkers to jam along to.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
    I swear I grabbed an Instrumental version of Urban Hang Suite off Oink awhile back. Can't seem to find it now. In the mood to hear it right now!

• can we get Sananda Maitreya(terence trent d'arby) up in this mix too. peace, stein. . .

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    'Sign your name across my heart' is my shit.