Cuban Record Releases

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
I just had one of those typical WTF-moments.In the backroom of a pharmacy in N'Zerekore which is located in the forest region of Guinea, close to Liberia and Ivory Coast, I tapped into a large cache of for the most part unplayed Cuban records. Probably about 800 to 1.000 pieces, mostly from the mid- to late 70s. All Cuban pressings.Besides the question how the fuck all these records got here, I'm now plagued by figuring out which to take and which to leave behind. Should I take the whole bunch? Is there a market for the majority of these records that probably will end up being straight Latin? How much would ba a fair price to give? (I could probably get the entire load for $2 each but rather want to play it fair)Didn't bring the portable and feel a bit overwhelmed and lost...

Comments

• As far as how they got there, weren't the Cubans all over Angola in the 70's? Just a guess...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    As far as how they got there, weren't the Cubans all over Angola in the 70's? Just a guess...

Cuba and Guinea had strong ties and quite some Guineans got to study in Cuba but it's still weird to find a large cache of exclusively Cuban releases in one spot. There are a lot of Latin records around wherever you go in West Africa but Cuban releases are normally rare let a lone mint and in quantity.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    If they're in nice shape/unplayed, I'd take the whole bunch. $2 a piece sounds fair, considering.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Check your PMs!

1000 Cuban records are not necessarily worth $2 a piece.