Baseball On Blast

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Tomorrow the Mitchell Report is to be released and it will name between 60-80 players as steroid users.I wonder about 2 things.1) Will these be 50 Minor Leaguers and the big names that are already out there or will it name stars and superstars who have not yet been implicated?2) Will this have more or less of a negative effect on baseball than the Players Strike did?

Comments

• Depends on who's named.

50-60 players accounts for roughly 1% of all players in just MLB.

• I dont even know the rules for baseball but if you look at Tour de France and cycling in general and all the doping busts and all the suspecions I dont think it will have much effect on the sport of baseball as far as the interest goes. They're might be a few sponsors who dont want to deal with the sport depending on how bad the doping problem seems to be from that report but I think the crowds will still be there as before.

Peace,

Dress

• Options
    I can't wait to see this list. Rumor is Paul LoDuca is on it, part of why the Mets dumped him. ESPN is saying Roger Clemens is on it. There was a rumor last year that he would be, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it were true. Rumors rumors rumors at this point.

I can practically smell it seeping out this pic. That brings up a question, has anyone on here ever actually smelled steroids seeping out someone's pores? It's unmistakable. The first gym I ever worked out was a hardcore lifting gym, lots of guys there on juice and the locker room always had this rank, toxic smell to it no matter how often they cleaned it. But the juice guys always came through late at night, and I was long gone by then so I never smelled it on them. Then I went to a new spot, and one day there was this guy who is normally there when I am and very obviously a juicer. He was in there one day and walked by me, the smell from the old locker room came roaring back as the juice was just wafting off his body like some guido loaded up on Jeter Driven. Worse than that was the time another juicer spotted me on a bench press, and I could smell his nuts mixed with 'roidfumes and had to stop after two reps because of it. Yeah, that was worse.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This is the leak I've heard:

Brady Anderson, Manny Alexander, Rick Ankiel, Jeff Bagwell, Barry Bonds, Aaron Boone, Rafaeil Bettancourt, Bret Boone, Milton Bradley, David Bell, Dante Bichette, Albert Belle, Paul Byrd, Wil Cordero, Ken Caminiti, Mike Cameron, Ramon Castro, Jose and Ozzie Canseco, Roger Clemens, Jim Core, Paxton Crawford, Michelle DeLaurentis, Wilson Delgado, Lenny Dykstra, Johnny Damon, Carl Everett, Kyle Farnsoworth, Ryan Franklin, Troy Glaus, Rich Garces, Jason Grimsley, Troy Glaus, Juan Gonzalez, Eric Gagne, Nomar Garciaparra, Jason Giambi, Jeremy Giambi, Jose Guillen, Jay Gibbons, Juan Gonzalez, Clay Hensley, Jerry Hairston, Felix Heredia, Jr., Darren Holmes, Wally Joyner, Darryl Kile, Matt Lawton, Raul Mondesi, Mark McGwire, Guillermo Mota, Robert Machado, Damian Moss, Abraham Nunez, Trot Nixon, Jose Offerman, Andy Pettitte, Mark Prior, Neifi Perez, Rafael Palmiero, Albert Pujols, Brian Roberts, Juan Rincon, John Rocker, Pudge Rodriguez, Sammy Sosa, Scott Schoenweiis, David Segui, Alex Sanchez, Gary Sheffield, Miguel Tejada, Julian Tavarez, Fernando Tatis, Jim Turdcorn, Maurice Vaughn, Jason Varitek, Ismael Valdez, Matt Williams and Kerry Wood.

Not really surprised about a lot of these dudes. I have to say that it hurts to see Pudge up on here, and Pujols as well. Really glad to see some names NOT up on here, but I guess we'll see within the next day.

• Options
    This is the leak I've heard:

Brady Anderson, Manny Alexander, Rick Ankiel, Jeff Bagwell, Barry Bonds, Aaron Boone, Rafaeil Bettancourt, Bret Boone, Milton Bradley, David Bell, Dante Bichette, Albert Belle, Paul Byrd, Wil Cordero, Ken Caminiti, Mike Cameron, Ramon Castro, Jose and Ozzie Canseco, Roger Clemens, Jim Core, Paxton Crawford, Michelle DeLaurentis, Wilson Delgado, Lenny Dykstra, Johnny Damon, Carl Everett, Kyle Farnsoworth, Ryan Franklin, Troy Glaus, Rich Garces, Jason Grimsley, Troy Glaus, Juan Gonzalez, Eric Gagne, Nomar Garciaparra, Jason Giambi, Jeremy Giambi, Jose Guillen, Jay Gibbons, Juan Gonzalez, Clay Hensley, Jerry Hairston, Felix Heredia, Jr., Darren Holmes, Wally Joyner, Darryl Kile, Matt Lawton, Raul Mondesi, Mark McGwire, Guillermo Mota, Robert Machado, Damian Moss, Abraham Nunez, Trot Nixon, Jose Offerman, Andy Pettitte, Mark Prior, Neifi Perez, Rafael Palmiero, Albert Pujols, Brian Roberts, Juan Rincon, John Rocker, Pudge Rodriguez, Sammy Sosa, Scott Schoenweiis, David Segui, Alex Sanchez, Gary Sheffield, Miguel Tejada, Julian Tavarez, Fernando Tatis, Jim Turdcorn, Maurice Vaughn, Jason Varitek, Ismael Valdez, Matt Williams and Kerry Wood.

Not really surprised about a lot of these dudes. I have to say that it hurts to see Pudge up on here, and Pujols as well. Really glad to see some names NOT up on here, but I guess we'll see within the next day.

'Bout time Bagwell gets called on. Dykstra no surprise. Brady Anderson either. Say it ain't so Ramon Castro, I just thought you were a big dude. Surprised about Mike Cameron and Pettite, Damon too. Not surprised about Pujols, Rocker, Glaus, Everett, Mondesi, Lawton, Sheffield, Bradley.

Ehh, kind of anti-climactic.

• I can't wait to see this list. Rumor is Paul LoDuca is on it, part of why the Mets dumped him. ESPN is saying Roger Clemens is on it.

yeah, i heard Clemens get mentioned this morning on the news. holy shit all that dickish, roid ragey bat throwing behavior makes sense now. i can't believe i never thought of that until this morning. they also said andy petitte too. haha, poor jerks.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Will this have more or less of a negative effect on baseball than the Players Strike did?

I doubt it.

Shit wasnt the HomeRun Derby/Long Ball fascination a way to get the fans back after the strike?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Granted I don't know how valid the source is.

Jim Turdcorn

???

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Pettite and of course Clemens were both rumored around their last seasons as Astros via the Canseco thing.

Where did that list come from?

• Options
    Granted I don't know how valid the source is.

Jim Turdcorn

???

Wow. Missed that the first time, too busy looking for Lou Pissparagus and Mike Cumyellow.

• MLB lost me many years ago and this will further my distance from it.

• here's the report . . .
    http://files.mlb.com/mitchrpt.pdf

• Options
    Rumor is Paul LoDuca is on it, part of why the Mets dumped him.

I'll miss him, it's Washington's turn to embrace the LoDuca magic.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I scanned the 200+ pages but saw no mention of Pujols...is he on the "list"???

• not as far as i can tell.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    So this is the real list?

Brady Anderson
    Manny Alexander
    Rick Ankiel
    Jeff Bagwell
    Barry Bonds
    Aaron Boone
    Rafaeil Bettancourt
    Bret Boone
    Milton Bradley
    David Bell
    Dante Bichette
    Albert Belle
    Paul Byrd
    Wil Cordero
    Ken Caminiti
    Mike Cameron
    Ramon Castro
    Jose Canseco
    Ozzie Canseco
    Roger Clemens
    Paxton Crawford
    Wilson Delgado
    Lenny Dykstra
    Johnny Damon
    Carl Everett
    Kyle Farnsworth
    Ryan Franklin
    Rich Garces
    Jason Grimsley
    Troy Glaus
    Juan Gonzalez
    Eric Gagne
    Nomar Garciaparra
    Jason Giambi
    Jeremy Giambi
    Jose Guillen
    Jay Gibbons
    Juan Gonzalez
    Clay Hensley
    Jerry Hairston
    Felix Heredia, Jr.
    Darren Holmes
    Wally Joyner
    Darryl Kile
    Matt Lawton
    Raul Mondesi
    Mark McGwire
    Guillermo Mota
    Robert Machado
    Damian Moss
    Abraham Nunez
    Trot Nixon
    Jose Offerman
    Andy Pettitte
    Mark Prior
    Neifi Perez
    Rafael Palmiero
    Albert Pujols
    Brian Roberts
    Juan Rincon
    John Rocker
    Pudge Rodriguez
    Sammy Sosa
    Scott Schoenweiis
    David Segui
    Alex Sanchez
    Gary Sheffield
    Miguel Tejada
    Julian Tavarez
    Fernando Tatis
    Maurice Vaughn
    Jason Varitek
    Ismael Valdez
    Matt Williams
    Kerry Wood

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    * for the entire sport

• "???Each of the 30 clubs had a player or players involved in taking illegal substances,??? at one time or another, Mitchell said. "

* for the entire sport

• ???Brian McNamee said that he was a direct eyewitness and a participant in alleged illegal use by three players whom he served as a personal trainer,??? the Mitchell report said.

Clemens had a 40-39 record from 1993 through 1996 and was not re-signed by the Boston Red Sox. The next year, he signed with the Toronto Blue Jays and began working out with McNamee.

Clemens had two of the best years in pitching history in 1997 and 1998, winning the Cy Young Award in both seasons and also led the league in wins, earned run average and strikeouts. He then went on to pitch for the Yankees from 1999 through 2003.

After Clemens declined to 14-10 with a 4.60 ERA in 1999, New York hired McNamee as assistant strength coach. During one stretch after that, Clemens won 27 games against three losses for the Yankees.

• Why is Juan Gonzalez on there twice? I hope that doesn't mean that one was supposed to be LUIS, although...

• I heard Albert Pujols was mentioned as a positive in a non-MLB test.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Why is Juan Gonzalez on there twice? I hope that doesn't mean that one was supposed to be LUIS, although...

steroid poster boy

he suddenly hits 57 home runs in one year and never hits over 40 again?

here's the list of players who have hit over 50 in one year:

Babe Ruth 54 New York Yankees 1920^ 714
    Babe Ruth 59 New York Yankees 1921^
    Babe Ruth 60 New York Yankees 1927^
    Babe Ruth 54 New York Yankees 1928
    Hack Wilson 56 Chicago Cubs 1930 244
    Jimmie Foxx 58??? Philadelphia Athletics 1932 534
    Jimmie Foxx 50 Boston Red Sox 1938
    Hank Greenberg 58??? Detroit Tigers 1938 331
    Johnny Mize 51 New York Giants 1947 359
    Ralph Kiner 51 Pittsburgh Pirates 1947 369
    Ralph Kiner 54??? Pittsburgh Pirates 1949
    Willie Mays 51 New York Giants 1955 660
    Mickey Mantle 52 New York Yankees 1956 536
    Mickey Mantle 54 New York Yankees 1961
    Roger Maris 61??? New York Yankees 1961^ 275
    Willie Mays 52 San Francisco Giants 1965
    George Foster 52??? Cincinnati Reds 1977 348

Cecil Fielder 51 Detroit Tigers 1990 319
    Albert Belle 50 Cleveland Indians 1995 381
    Brady Anderson 50??? Baltimore Orioles 1996 210
    Mark McGwire 52 Oakland Athletics 1996 583
    Ken Griffey Jr.??? 56??? Seattle Mariners 1997 593
    Mark McGwire 58 Oakland Athletics &
    St. Louis Cardinals 1997
    Greg Vaughn 50??? San Diego Padres 1998 355
    Ken Griffey Jr.??? 56??? Seattle Mariners 1998
    Sammy Sosa??? 66??? Chicago Cubs 1998 609
    Mark McGwire 70??? St. Louis Cardinals 1998^
    Sammy Sosa??? 63 Chicago Cubs 1999
    Mark McGwire 65 St. Louis Cardinals 1999
    Sammy Sosa??? 50 Chicago Cubs 2000
    Alex Rodriguez??? 52 Texas Rangers 2001 517
    Luis Gonzalez??? 57??? Arizona Diamondbacks 2001 346
    Sammy Sosa??? 64 Chicago Cubs 2001
    Barry Bonds??? 73??? San Francisco Giants 2001 762
    Jim Thome??? 52??? Cleveland Indians 2002 504
    Alex Rodriguez??? 57??? Texas Rangers 2002
    Andruw Jones??? 51??? Atlanta Braves 2005 368
    Ryan Howard??? 58??? Philadelphia Phillies 2006 124
    David Ortiz??? 54??? Boston Red Sox 2006 264
    Alex Rodriguez??? 54 New York Yankees 2007
    Prince Fielder??? 50??? Milwaukee Brewers 2007 80

it happened more times between 95-2007 than in the 80 years before! think about who ISN'T on the list... Reggie Jackson, Hank Aaron, Frank Robinson, Harmon Killebrew...

who do you think WASN'T juicing on the bottom part of the list?

not many...

griffey? ortiz? a -rod? ryan howard?

i am damn sure brady anderson, sosa, bonds, mcgwire, gonzalez all were...

• In the words of Bob Ryan yesterday, regarding the Clemens and Bonds comparisons...

'The white media is on trial starting today to see how they cover this.'

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Wally Joyner

They got Wally!

I was reading some of the report yesterday and it sort of seems like a drop in the bucket. The information from their sources and the documents supporting the evidence seem pretty damnming, obviously, to a lot of players. But I walk away feeling like damn near all the players seemed to have been juicing it up -- they were just lucky enough not to get it from someone who got arrested.

If I'm covering this story, I'd ask all the players who "vehemently deny" the allegations whether they plan to sue for defamation, libel or slander -- if the answer is "no," then they probably did it.

I rest easy, knowing that my hometown superstar did it the old-fashioned way.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Why is Juan Gonzalez on there twice? I hope that doesn't mean that one was supposed to be LUIS, although...

steroid poster boy

he suddenly hits 57 home runs in one year and never hits over 40 again?

here's the list of players who have hit over 50 in one year:

Babe Ruth 54 New York Yankees 1920^ 714
    Babe Ruth 59 New York Yankees 1921^
    Babe Ruth 60 New York Yankees 1927^
    Babe Ruth 54 New York Yankees 1928
    Hack Wilson 56 Chicago Cubs 1930 244
    Jimmie Foxx 58??? Philadelphia Athletics 1932 534
    Jimmie Foxx 50 Boston Red Sox 1938
    Hank Greenberg 58??? Detroit Tigers 1938 331
    Johnny Mize 51 New York Giants 1947 359
    Ralph Kiner 51 Pittsburgh Pirates 1947 369
    Ralph Kiner 54??? Pittsburgh Pirates 1949
    Willie Mays 51 New York Giants 1955 660
    Mickey Mantle 52 New York Yankees 1956 536
    Mickey Mantle 54 New York Yankees 1961
    Roger Maris 61??? New York Yankees 1961^ 275
    Willie Mays 52 San Francisco Giants 1965
    George Foster 52??? Cincinnati Reds 1977 348

Cecil Fielder 51 Detroit Tigers 1990 319
    Albert Belle 50 Cleveland Indians 1995 381
    Brady Anderson 50??? Baltimore Orioles 1996 210
    Mark McGwire 52 Oakland Athletics 1996 583
    Ken Griffey Jr.??? 56??? Seattle Mariners 1997 593
    Mark McGwire 58 Oakland Athletics &
    St. Louis Cardinals 1997
    Greg Vaughn 50??? San Diego Padres 1998 355
    Ken Griffey Jr.??? 56??? Seattle Mariners 1998
    Sammy Sosa??? 66??? Chicago Cubs 1998 609
    Mark McGwire 70??? St. Louis Cardinals 1998^
    Sammy Sosa??? 63 Chicago Cubs 1999
    Mark McGwire 65 St. Louis Cardinals 1999
    Sammy Sosa??? 50 Chicago Cubs 2000
    Alex Rodriguez??? 52 Texas Rangers 2001 517
    Luis Gonzalez??? 57??? Arizona Diamondbacks 2001 346
    Sammy Sosa??? 64 Chicago Cubs 2001
    Barry Bonds??? 73??? San Francisco Giants 2001 762
    Jim Thome??? 52??? Cleveland Indians 2002 504
    Alex Rodriguez??? 57??? Texas Rangers 2002
    Andruw Jones??? 51??? Atlanta Braves 2005 368
    Ryan Howard??? 58??? Philadelphia Phillies 2006 124
    David Ortiz??? 54??? Boston Red Sox 2006 264
    Alex Rodriguez??? 54 New York Yankees 2007
    Prince Fielder??? 50??? Milwaukee Brewers 2007 80

it happened more times between 95-2007 than in the 80 years before! think about who ISN'T on the list... Reggie Jackson, Hank Aaron, Frank Robinson, Harmon Killebrew...

who do you think WASN'T juicing on the bottom part of the list?

not many...

griffey? ortiz? a -rod? ryan howard?

i am damn sure brady anderson, sosa, bonds, mcgwire, gonzalez all were...

Well it's a lot more to it than just the juice but yeah shit is definitely suspect. Out of the above list I would bet that the only dudes who aren't juices are Ryan Howard, Thome, Junior, A-Rod and Big Papi. Other than that, nahhhh man.

b/w

I once met Harmon Killebrew back in the day. Dude's arms were like Frickin' tree trunks. Him and Frickin' Eddie Matthew - that dude was a Frickin' MONSTER. No wonder they hit mad home runs.

In the words of Bob Ryan yesterday, regarding the Clemens and Bonds comparisons...

'The white media is on trial starting today to see how they cover this.'

I was listening to ESPN radio last night. I'm not sure who the host was but the asshole was trying his best to spin it, saying, "This is one of the best days in baseball... We can finally move on... Come spring training, people probably won't even be talking about this... If Clemens' name wasn't included, this probably wouldn't even be a big deal."

I was like, "Whhaaaa?"

• Well it's a lot more to it than just the juice

saying. the GAME DONE CHANGED. to compare today's athletes to those of back in the day is just not fair -- and that goes not only for baseball. juice or no juice dudes are bigger and stronger now (no pasue).

Well it's a lot more to it than just the juice

What the fuck is juice? I think it's something in the:

• Wow where are all the Bonds hatters now

• Wow where are all the Bonds hatters now

New whipping boys; he's old news. Let the Feds sort him out...