The Science Behind How our Brains Process Music

billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Interview with Daniel Levitin author ofThis Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession that explains the complex relationship between neuroscience and music."There???s a particular part of the brain that responds to pleasurable things like winning a lot of money, taking cocaine, or having an orgasm. That???s been known for years, but with my colleague from Stanford Medical School, Vinod Menon, I found that the same region of the brain responds to pleasurable music. People tell you that they like music, but to actually see music activating this pleasure centre in a brain image was surprising. We like to think of it as the sex, drugs, and rock ???n??? roll centre of the brain."http://www.innovationcanada.com/31/en/articles/levitin.html

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    This book was a great read. I was particularly fascinated about the section on infants. Something along the lines of by age 2 infants can differentiate all sorts of sounds. By age 6 children start defining 75% of there musical taste.

Ridiculous.

It also helped me think about how important Melody and repitition is in songwriting.

- spidey