listening before you mail it off

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
sold a Fantastic Baggys LP for more than 4 bills. I just knew it was a kinda rare surf record, visually graded it and threw it up on ebay. Bossman wanted a CD copy of it before we mailed it off...I dont like surf music for the most part, but shit this thing smokes...fuzz laden instros and the vocal tracks have harmonizing good as any Beach Boys LP. Was puzzled why it went for so much, but I can see why a surf head would consider this a holy grail..damn fine LP. Any of yall have this experience? Wondering why something went for loot and finally listening to it and understanding why, when you were clueless before...

Comments

• Yeah, I get sellers remorse sometimes. I usually record MP3s of the decent records I sell right before I package 'em up.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    ?[/b]

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Yeah, I get sellers remorse sometimes. I usually FORGET TO record mp3's before i mail them off.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    Yeah, I get sellers remorse sometimes. I usually record MP3s of the decent records I sell right before I package 'em up.

• Yeah, I get sellers remorse sometimes. I usually record MP3s of the decent records I sell right before I package 'em up.

see, this always seems like a bad idea in my head. I do any of that stuff ahead of time. I am afraid that I might trip and launch the record, bump the needle, anything, and put a huge gash in it after dude paid his money. Hasn't happened yet, but I'm scurred.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I've gone back and listened to stuff that exceded my selling expectations and been able to hear merit and/or $$$ appeal where I didn't hear it before, but I've never had any forehead-slapping "wtf did I do that for" moments.

The closest I've ever come was about a week ago when I sold a sealed random rap record I thought I had two copies of for $39. I could have sworn that I listened to the opened copy, and didn't like it, prior to the posting the sealed copy, but when the auction ended the opened copy was nowhere to be found and I couldn't crack open the sealed copy I just sold to give it another listen. A few days later the opened copy turned up and, after throwing it on the turntable, it was clear I had never listened to it in the first place, and it was actually very dope. I had confused it for another, wacker, record I had previewed from the same obscure label.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Yeah, I get sellers remorse sometimes. I usually record MP3s of the decent records I sell right before I package 'em up.

see, this always seems like a bad idea in my head. I do any of that stuff ahead of time. I am afraid that I might trip and launch the record, bump the needle, anything, and put a huge gash in it after dude paid his money. Hasn't happened yet, but I'm scurred.

Yeah, Me too and I can't really chance un-mint-minusing a M- record. Depending on the listed condition though of course. It would be better to record it before but Void lists stuff so quick there is hardly ever an open window for that kind of thing.

And not to be vain but I have to keep my nails rather short to avoid scuffs while shipping which kind of sucks......Hopefully only an issue for the ladies. I am going to try some white cotton gloves though since they are getting long again and I miss having them.

I did record the Natural Four which was Vg I think and the Glass. I do wish I would have recorded more of the Disco and Boogie stuff I sold this time last year. Namely the Webster Lewis and Positive Force, in addition to the Fuzzy LP from way back. Slight regret...but I dont really rock Disco that often.

I don't have a clue what that Marley Marl from a couple weeks ago sounded like. It was from the year 2000..... so ???, Maybe I will never know. But we had determined that it had "probably" never been played hence the M- grading.

Reynaldo would be proud of my restraint.......I think.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

And not to be vain but I have to keep my nails rather short to avoid scuffs while shipping which kind of sucks......Hopefully only an issue for the ladies. I am going to try some white cotton gloves though since they are getting long again and I miss having them.

Nah, you don't. Dude who owns Orpheus Records has the longest nails I've ever seen on a man and he owns the store. I don't know his secret though.

I played Terry Callier-I Just Can't Help Myself before I sent it out the other day, and Until Tomorrow's dopeness made me regret selling it.

Dude who owns Orpheus Records has the longest nails I've ever seen on a man and he owns the store. I don't know his secret though.

Bad hygiene, maybe?

• Dude who owns Orpheus Records has the longest nails I've ever seen on a man and he owns the store. I don't know his secret though.

Bad hygiene, maybe?

Classical or Jazz guitar player maybe?

or maybe a closet

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    My theories are either banjo pickin' or coke spoons. He's an awesome guy tho, so I don't think it's coke.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    sold a Fantastic Baggys LP for more than 4 bills. I just knew it was a kinda rare surf record, visually graded it and threw it up on ebay. Bossman wanted a CD copy of it before we mailed it off...I dont like surf music for the most part, but shit this thing smokes...fuzz laden instros and the vocal tracks have harmonizing good as any Beach Boys LP. Was puzzled why it went for so much, but I can see why a surf head would consider this a holy grail..damn fine LP. Any of yall have this experience? Wondering why something went for loot and finally listening to it and understanding why, when you were clueless before...

I have a Japanese pressing of this from the 80s, and I would be hard pressed to let it go. It's a great relic of that genre.

• He's an awesome guy tho, so I don't think it's coke.

awesome people party too.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    My theories are either banjo pickin' or coke spoons. He's an awesome guy tho, so I don't think it's coke.

He basically is starting to look like late model Howard Hughes. We were joking that someone needs to buy Rick some slippers for Christmas!

He's an awesome guy tho, so I don't think it's coke.

Thanks!

• He's an awesome guy tho, so I don't think it's coke.

Thanks!

my pleasure. it's such a great 'utility' phrase cause you can substitute 'awesome people' for anything and it works. Like when you go to a commercial club and they are playing crap music all night just remember 'douchebags party too.'