CD duplication towers (burning/copying CD advice)

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
I may have asked a similar question about this a year a two ago, but a good friend of mine is wanting to start doing his own duping for his personal projects(mixtapes,albums/demos,doing dupe'n for other DJs/rappers shit)..instead of having to outsource the job to someone else($$$). Straight DIY steez.Anyone here happen to have a tower or two for sale(used..or even new if the price is right,but keep in mind this is more on the budget style..no 4 digits($) per tower kind of shit. Or, does anyone have any good tips and leads for me?He isnt really dead set on any certain brand(just wants some RELIABLE w/ a good rep, since we have heard some many horror stories about certain dupe towers(esp. when trying to build your own with different burners not interacting right,etc). He has not really decided what size tower/copier he wants to mess with until he knows more about the quality and reputation of certain brands(and prices of course). He showed me some Sony joints(which I imagine you cant go wrong with a reputable brand like Sony..but what do I know?). He did show me the following deals he came across on some site..tell me what you think about these:This one is $400.00 off a site "ON SALE"or:This one is $360 "ON SALE" CD Duplicator / Copier 1 to 5 Sony 52X CD Burners [/b] Those are just a couple I was eyeballing, but then I see some of these models(like the one I posted above also includes 250GB HDD built in for only $85 more. What are the pros of getting them w/ the HDD already built in. (sorry, lke I mentioned..I have NO exp. with this shit, and neither does my homeboy.)I didnt look on Ebay yet..I will next, though of course...but I just wnated to get the the Soulstrut scoop from all the knowledgeable cats on here since I know yall knows yalls shit, for really real. So....whats some good advice? Any and all is appreciated(and desperately needed!)Sorry for the long winded post, but hopefully itll be worth it(because it would really suck if this gets NO replies)Anyone that would like to, feel free to PM me any info you have, that I should know...or if you have some gear you are willing to part with for the right price or whatever.Thanks a lot!Heathski Von Erich

Comments

• Anyone?

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I have a few towers. I don't think there is a need for a HDD. All my towers support Dual Layer DVD, Single Layer and CDR. Even when I run a Dual Layer DVD I have no need for a HDD. CD's take 1.5 minutes, DVD's around 13.... I built all mine from scratch. You can get the controllers for $150 or so, with all the cables. A tower costs $40 or less, and the drives (if you buy them in bulk) will be cheap. At the time I paid $45 for drives, but I picked them up by the case, and I buy OEM. So 150 + 40 = 290 + 9x45= 405 + $50 for DVD Reader (specific Model). If you're going to make one, let me know and I'll give you the important tips.

Now, I have tons of Plextor CDR drives in cases. I can give these to your friend for **VERY** cheap + shipping. I converted some VCD/CD towers to DVD for a friend, and when I was done nobody wanted the Plextor drives so I threw them in a box where they still sit. In fact, I think I still have the CDR tower controller. I can basically sell you the entire package except for the case I will do it for cheap, but I'm not sure how much shipping would be from Toronto. I can buy a cheap case and build the thing for him, and send it assembled. Whatever works. I have more then one also if he's interested. I'm sure I can sell it with shipping for much less then the Sony's.

• Okay, cool..let me relay all of this and I will holler via PM. Good looking out, man!