Original msters of unreleased heat (what it dew)

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Ok peoples, I know some of you have expereince with this, but I haven't, so gimme some direction.I just heard back from a record label that I had emailed asking about a very obscure 7" that is so good I can't believe people don't know about it. The label guys tells me that 2 months ago he found original master recordings of the rest of the stuff from the same session and would I like a copy of them. Given the quality of the 45, this could be a big deal. He's going to talk to the artist but it looks likely that he'll make a copy of the reels and send it to me. Now I'm no record exec and I have no desire to play that role, so the question is, if the material is as dope as I think it will be, what should I do?

Comments

• if the music is that good that you feel more people should hear it why not contact some labels that do quality reissues such as stones throw about it

forgive me if that was just stating the obvious

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yeah... I guess maybe what I need to do IS that obvious. I'll see if the material really is dope first, and then I might see if any labels show interest.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Why cant you tell us who the artist is? Is it just that super secret?

It is pretty super secret for now.

Is it THE BEATLES!?

• Why cant you tell us who the artist is? Is it just that super secret?

come on B!
    dont act all

mark,
    wassthe music like though? big ol basslines and shit?
    cause if youre talking about some gay lounge record, this whole post needs to be imploded.

for real though...heres to hoping you found some bangers!!!!!

Nah I don't wanna mention names just yet, suffice to say the only person I know who knows this group was the person i got the 7" from. Highly obscure Australian release. We're not talking wack-asslounge music. We're talking early 70s pounding drums and electronics experimentation facemelting. This record blew my face off when I heard it. When label dude told me there was unreleased material sitting in a cupboard, I had to change my pants.

Is it THE BEATLES!?

althought they are highly obscure, alas it is not the beatles.

Not the beatles then?

Is it THE BEATLES!?

damn.

Aussie band.....Silverchair?

Is it THE BEATLES!?

damn.

What's the hell - you hacked my computer mang.

Not the beatles then?

"Now let's have no more questions about this bizare cover-up"

• the new gremlin brigade is really adding depth to my life

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    asslounge

Is it THE BEATLES!?

damn.

What's the hell - you hacked my computer mang.

awww shit!!! cant wait for silverchain facemelt raers.

• asslounge
    i'm picturing your avatar, as a representation of you, delighting in this new fantastical word

asslounge
    i'm picturing your avatar, as a representation of you, delighting in this new fantastical word

It works on so many levels

"'ey Freddy... come check out this brand spanki'n new asslounge rekkid I's got at the junkyard."

• I think the market for unreleased material by a very obscure Australian outfit would be quite small - practically nothing from down this way gets any major love or props overseas, I really can't see how this would be any different

** looks like theres no 'black hat' amongst all the new emoticons dammit !! **

• might be true, hugh

but if the shit is undeniably bangin, theres gotta be some kinda market

What I'll do in the next few days is try and rip one side of this single I have by the group. if people like that, then presumably they'll understand why I'm already pre-emtping what these unreleased recordings will sound like. But I do understand what you're saying Hugh. it's just that... I really, really dig this record.

• sounds like a helluva find Kinetic
    here's a recent magazine article covering some of the basics of reissues, maybe you'll find it interesting.

http://remixmag.com/production/music_business/remix_wax_archaeology/

the guy at Stones Throw says masters are pretty hard to find.
    ???In a lot of cases, the records that we've reissued all came off of vinyl,??? Egon reveals ... "I never go into it assuming that they're gonna have master tapes."
    ( DCarfagna is quoted a couple times too. )

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Is it funky?

thats crazy you found unreleased beatles reels. When did they even tour austrailia?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    thats crazy you found unreleased beatles reels. When did they even tour austrailia?

Didn't they get kicked out? Seriously?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Never mind, it was Manila, because they snubbed Marcos.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    asslounge

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Alright peoples - there's been a development.

Check out the email I just received:

Mark,

I finally got in touch with XXXXXXX (he had been out of town for a week), he has given permission for me to make one only[/b] CD copy of the XXXXXXXX material and to forward this to you.

His specific instructions are that under no circumstances is the CD, once mailed to you, to be copied, sold or disposed of in any way by you or any other person, other than being returned to me at my mailing address.

He appears to have no problem with you undertaking a critique of the songs.

I gave him your web address, as given to me in your e-mail communication and I have also given him your e-mail address, so that he can make contact with you to possibly give you more information. I am not sure if he has or will do this.

So that I can forward the CD to you, could you forward me a mailing address.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXX Records

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Alright peoples - there's been a development.

Check out the email I just received:

Mark,

I finally got in touch with Ringo (he had been out of town for a week), he has given permission for me to make one only[/b] CD copy of the Beatles material and to forward this to you.

His specific instructions are that under no circumstances is the CD, once mailed to you, to be copied, sold or disposed of in any way by you or any other person, other than being returned to me at my mailing address.

He appears to have no problem with you undertaking a critique of the songs.

I gave him your web address, as given to me in your e-mail communication and I have also given him your e-mail address, so that he can make contact with you to possibly give you more information. I am not sure if he has or will do this.

So that I can forward the CD to you, could you forward me a mailing address.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXX Records

The code has been cracked.

Congrats on the progress but disappointed that we're still not going to hear any of it on the site.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Hey Kinetic are we talking a local group ?

Can you get your hands on the mastertapes? Or get them to copy them onto 2 inch reel? Cause I got access to some reel to reels and maybe we can try and do some old school cut edits.... :-)

I guess if the cd quality is good you can do a small run off 7inches or something...:-)

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I think the market for unreleased material by a very obscure Australian outfit would be quite small - practically nothing from down this way gets any major love or props overseas, I really can't see how this would be any different

lets hope it stays that way...we wouldnt want to be sharing all our gems with the rest of the world.....!!!!

They cant play spot the break when they never heard of the records.....