My first price check I think (NINA SIMONE R)

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
I'm getting a sale list together and I'm wondering about this one:Nina Simone "Sea Lion Woman" / "Mississippi *%??**&%" 45 on Phillips (black label)This is never on ebay when I look, and fake sellers have it at $80 on Gemm.Seems scarce on 45, but does anyone even care?

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Ummm...

You mean 'see line woman'? Ain;t no Frickin' sea lion's doggie

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Ummm...

From answers.com:

On May 13, 1939, Herbert Halpert made a series of field recordings in Byhalia, MS, including several with the family of Walter and Mary Shipp. Walter, a sharecropper and minister, and Mary, a choir director, had 14 children, several of whom participated in the archival project, but the couple's two daughters, Christine and Katherine, then 19 and 20 years old, were the real standouts, delivering several rope-skipping rhymes and rhythms that still have an intimate and haunting power all these years later, particularly the eerie and mysterious fragment called "Sea Lion Woman." The lyrics of this song for keeping time are simple enough, mostly about drinking coffee and drinking tea, but there's an ominous, edgy, and unsaid eeriness about it that moves beyond words and meaning. The lyric has been given several variant titles over the years, including "Sea Lion Woman," "See Lyin' Woman," "C-Line Woman," "See-Lye Woman," "See Line Woman" (this is the title used by Nina Simone for her version), and "She Lyin' Woman," all of which only adds to the enigmatic nature of the recording that the Shipp sisters made that day.

I think we had this discussion in a recent Feist thread. Her recent cover of the song has the "Sea Lion Woman" title.

I've never actually heard that original recording. Can anyone post an mp3?

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Ummm...

No, Sea Lion. Shall I post a photo sonny?

• I've never actually heard that original recording. Can anyone post an mp3?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I think he's asking to hear the Shipp Sisters version, not the Nina.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Yes indeed, but thanks anyway, red_clay

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    sonny

Ummm...

No, Sea Lion. Shall I post a photo sonny?

Please do young man.

haha - I have officially been

I've never seen a copy spelt that way before. I have her album on Phillips that includes that cut and it's also spelt "see Line Woman."

Well there you go then.

yeah, I knew it as "See Line" too. When I pulled this I was sorta like 'wtf'? Thought it may have been a weird, novelty version or something. But naw, its the real deal.

http://odeo.com/show/11268763/4/download/See-LineSeaLionWoman.mp3