Ever piece someone together from their collection?

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Barring the obvious like Mingering Mike of course. I bought a collection recently from someone's "late brother." It is kinda out of my zone of ,but I was cleaning em and thinking about what type of dude he might of been. He lived in a gargantuan house out in the country, really slick and stylized look to the outside and inside. NYC late 70s scenester punk stuff like The Ramones, New York Dolls. Rocky Horror shit. Random classic rock shit, but no mainstream stuff like the Beatles. Some random Indiana records. Picturing a guy who was down with the punk scene, not entrenched in it. Possibly gay, semi-neat freak who kept his records ok, but not meticulous. Moved around until he found a bangin job in my neck of the woods. Anyone ever think like this, or am I "too inside my own head?" I think dudes can spin some good shit in this thread, so stand up. PeaceT.N.

Comments

• I wonder about things like this all the time. Can't help but speculate just who these people are whose records we're constantly digging through (especially the ones who owned albums that are ahead of their time or totally obscure and off the beaten path). Some day people will be wondering the same things about us, I'm sure..

• In the early nineties, in Chicago-area used stores, I always used to see country/rockabilly/early rock & roll albums that would have some handwritten "review" of the album on the back cover, usually topped off by "99/A+!" Probably the funniest one was on the back of this album by country singer Barbi Benton (better remembered as Hugh Hefner's girlfriend): "Not the greatest singer, but wow, what tits! 99/A+!"

His tastes were eerily close to mine, and I probably would have had some cool conversations about music if I knew him. I always wondered what his backstory was: did he die? Did he find better copies of the records he sold (his collection usually wound up in the 99-cent bins)? Or did his interest in music wane as he got older, so he just said "fuck it" and sold everything? God only knows.

• when i come on across amounts big enough from the same person thats when i start to wonder about the previous owner then i start thinking about "what was this guy like"

2000/2001ish i went into a used book store and seriously bought close to 2 shoe boxes of the sickest 45s, i got them home and started going thru them and it was just jam after jam! for weeks i sat and pondered what this guy was like, what did he look like, what was his age...all of it, week after week as i was going thru the stuff and absorbing it.

so yeah, i do sit and think about the previous owners records & sometimes i dont.

just went thru a 60+ crate collection from some guy who dj'd from mid 70s to mid 80s and died in 92. dude was obviously a bb reporter or belonged to some record pools, i only thought about him while i was there and have not thought of him since.