Born in the U.S.A. appreciation

deejdeej 5,125 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central

Comments

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I cant back u on this shit.

• that LP is the antithesis of what is good about American Rock n Roll...that is some levi's commercial shit...people who voted for Reagan bought that record...hunka shit

• I got in a little hometown jam
    And so they put a rifle in my hands
    Sent me off to Vietnam
    To go and kill the yellow man

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    that LP is the antithesis of what is good about American Rock n Roll...that is some levi's commercial shit...people who voted for Reagan bought that record...hunka shit

Perhaps, and I'm no fan of Sprinsteen's music, but "Born in the USA" was actually a critique of politicians of Reagan's ilk:

Born down in a dead mans town
    The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
    You end up like a dog thats been beat too much
    Till you spend half your life just covering up

Born in the u.s.a., I was born in the u.s.a.
    I was born in the u.s.a., born in the u.s.a.

Got in a little hometown jam
    So they put a rifle in my hand
    Sent me off to a foreign land
    To go and kill the yellow man

Born in the u.s..a....

Come back home to the refinery
    Hiring man said son if it was up to me
    Went down to see my v.a. man
    He said son, dont you understand

I had a brother at khe sahn
    Fighting off the viet cong
    Theyre still there, hes all gone

He had a woman he loved in saigon
    I got a picture of him in her arms now

Down in the shadow of the penitentiary
    Out by the gas fires of the refinery
    Im ten years burning down the road
    Nowhere to run aint got nowhere to go

Born in the u.s.a., I was born in the u.s.a.
    Born in the u.s.a., Im a long gone daddy in the u.s.a.
    Born in the u.s.a., born in the u.s.a.
    Born in the u.s.a., Im a cool rocking daddy in the u.s.a

• ever hear the stanley clarke version? w/ rapper and all.
    its a must have

• I prefer this.

• that LP is the antithesis of what is good about American Rock n Roll...that is some levi's commercial shit...people who voted for Reagan bought that record...hunka shit

I can't think of any other artist that captures American rock better than Bruce Springsteen, and "Born in the USA" is an essential record from his career.

You are so wrong on this one. Please, inform me how you're right.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    "Sometimes its like someone took a knife, baby edgy and dull, and cut a six-inch valley through the middle of my skull ..."

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    that LP is the antithesis of what is good about American Rock n Roll...that is some levi's commercial shit...people who voted for Reagan bought that record...hunka shit

• Springsteen reminds me of our former poet laureate, Billy Collins, a writer whose words made his writing more evocative. The man makes great music sound effortless.

• jingoism didn't ruin this record - really shitty synth sounds did.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

You are so wrong on this one. Please, inform me how you're right.

Excellent!

• That's how I roll in the classroom.

EDIT: That's supposed to be a wink...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    jingoism didn't ruin this record - really shitty synth sounds did.
    i love these synth sounds

• You were young or not yet born in the 80's, right?

If I never hear a crummy DX7 synth sound again it would be okay with me.

You are completely missing the big picture.

You're like my students who discount Shakespeare because of his strange word choice.

• coming from a guy who lives in asbury park and has to deal with a community that thinks the boss is god, i am tired of hearing anything bruce or bruce related.

if i had to pick a bruce record,however, it would not be born in the usa. i'll ride for greetings or the wild and the innocent, maybe even born to run, but BITUSA was BS to me. i don't think he represents the every man.

ps:

i went to see wanda jackson this past year and turned around and bruce and patti were eating my wife's tater tots.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    got tickets to see him in april....gonna be my first time. i cant wait

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

if i had to pick a bruce record,however, it would not be born in the usa.

Fair enough but that's not the question.

You're like my students who discount Shakespeare because of his strange word choice.

I understand your analogy, it's just not apt.
    A more accurate one would be I didn't enjoy a particular production of a Shakespeare play
    because the actors were wooden and the sets were made with crayons.

Perhaps this seems way out to you, but before I can enjoy other aspects of a record,
    it has to...you know...sound good to me, and Born In The USA doesn't.
    I like other Bruce records, but this one has lousy production values in general.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    if i had to pick a bruce record it would not be born in the usa. i'll ride for greetings or the wild and the innocent

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    You were young or not yet born in the 80's, right?

I understand your analogy, it's just not apt.
    A more accurate one would be I didn't enjoy a particular production of a Shakespeare play
    because the actors were wooden and the sets were made with crayons.

Perhaps this seems way out to you, but before I can enjoy other aspects of a record,
    it has to...you know...sound good to me, and Born In The USA doesn't.
    I like other Bruce records, but this one has lousy production values in general.
    your analogy managed to be worse than his
    i reiterate, i think the synths sound good. there is nothing inherently 'lousy' about the synth sound. i think it is very affecting, particularly on tracks like 'downbound train'

• everything that is good about American Rock n Roll is the Boss and this album? Gimmie a Frickin' break...as far this stuff goes Tom Petty and Bob Seger kick the shit outta him...that record sucks, dont know anybody with taste for good rock music that owns it, its a piece of shit...so unrocking...maybe his first couple LPs, but not this...sorry to all that have given me the little "no" graemlin, but Im quite confident that I am enjoying the best rock music has to offer without even having this album anywhere near my record player. This is some stupid campaign music for a Jersey state represenative campaign...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    everything that is good about American Rock n Roll is the Boss and this album? Gimmie a Frickin' break...as far this stuff goes Tom Petty and Bob Seger kick the shit outta him...that record sucks, dont know anybody with taste for good rock music that owns it, its a piece of shit...so unrocking...maybe his first couple LPs, but not this...sorry to all that have given me the little "no" graemlin, but Im quite confident that I am enjoying the best rock music has to offer without even having this album anywhere near my record player. This is some stupid campaign music for a Jersey state represenative campaign...
    no, this is me saying i like this album and think the song writing and lyrics are affecting. Some tracks i like more than others. "Dancing in the Dark" and "I'm On Fire" are basically gothic synth-pop and they stand out for me because of how they contrast w/ the rest of the record, for example. When I was a kid I liked this tape a lot, then when i got older i went through a period of preferring the REAL RAW ACOUSTICAL SOUL of nebraska, then i grew up and stopped hating synths because they were synths (ok i never really thought that). But now I like this record again. "My Hometown" should be touching to anyone who has ever lived in a small town and seen the changes wreaked by work moving overseas + wal mart co. "Downbound train" is heartbreaking. "Workin on the Highway" is joyous.

I'm not asking bruce to represent anything so grand as 'the people' or 'new jersey.' I guess if you hang out with people who say that about him it might be annoying. the only people i knew who were, like, superfans of his were a couple friends of my dad's who worked in a ford plant in ohio. i dont know if they liked him because he was 'the people like them' or if maybe they just find his stories affecting like i do.

The worst thing about the LP is that it provided a blueprint for the second coming of Johnny Cougar Mellencamp.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

I can't think of any other artist that captures American rock better than Bruce Springsteen, and "Born in the USA" is an essential record from his career.

bruce springsteen makes for great copy; rock writers and pop culture professors tend to love him, but his music is mostly terrible...

the formula of Bob Dylan meets the great American Bar Band in a run down NJ seaside town is a great pitch for a movie and is the stuff of hundreds of Rolling Stone articles (ask Dave Marsh...), but i find most of Springsteen's music to be really corny and Born in the USA is probably one of his 3 worst records...

just because someone throws together a bunch of good influences doesn't make them good...

the formula of Bob Dylan meets the great American Bar Band in a run down NJ seaside town is a great pitch for a movie.

Eddie & The Cruisers