On The Go: DIGGING IN THE CRATES.

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
I scanned and upped all the DITC articles. It was everything I had, starting from 1992 going up to 1997. You all should peep them.On The Go Magazine: The DIGGING IN THE CRATES Column[/b]"Digging In The Crates - it's just as the name states. It's the art of scavenging. The bottom-feeders, the ones who search for scraps in the heap to find the gems. The rapid disappearing art of searching for the dusties is as much a part of hip-hop, but in this day and age when everything is readily available at a few clicks of your keyboard, some may have forgotten when you actually had to put work in to find "joints." Now it seems as though I've been digging since forever - in a away we all have. But back in the day, when I first started DJing, for some reason I felt an incredible draw to find a way to fit old funk and soul records into my hip-hop repertoire. Initially it was the 45s of my moms that I found in my grandparents basement. Then it was dollar bin records at The Exchange. Before I knew it, I was a full on dusty crates aficionado, being known for having the "originals." That's never really changed I guess, just grown. But if there's anything that I appreciate, it's to be able to draw the parallel lines, to see the lines of connection, to see where we have come from, in order to see where we're off to..."CHECK THEM OUT[/b]

Comments

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Damn, I think I have the On The Go with OBD....

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Nice! That's some good Friday afternoon at work reading right there.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    oh hells yes!

the art of scavenging. The bottom-feeders, the ones who search for scraps in the heap to find the gems.

fuck yeah...

• OH SHIT. I used to pick up every single one of these at Tower Records. Some shit in these used to piss me off though..If I remember correctly (i'm almost positive it was int he OTG with Large Pro) they reviewed Diamond's album and said something to the effect of "This dude can't rhyme, he just makes shit up to just to put things together, I mean, what the fuck is Jotex"

Still one of my favorite mags of ALL TIME.
    Damn Cos, I wish I knew you in 93!

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    damn dude i remember a lot of these
    i wasnt buying records back then but i would check that section out
    crazy

• Damn Cos, I wish I knew you in 93!

True. A testament to how long you've been doing this. Did you ever think that 14-15 years later you'd be "scanning" these and putting them onto your "myspace blog."

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    ...I mean, what the fuck is Jotex"

wow

• Those comic strips are great.

Thanks for the up.

• Damn Cos, I wish I knew you in 93!

True. A testament to how long you've been doing this. Did you ever think that 14-15 years later you'd be "scanning" these and putting them onto your "myspace blog."

The 1993 version of Cosmo: "what's a Myspace blog?"

Great job. Especially liked the article on Val Shively. One of the few times I've seen him quoted in print where he wasn't cussing like a sailor.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

The 1993 version of Cosmo: "what's a computer?"

• Options
    OH SHIT. I used to pick up every single one of these at Tower Records.

Same here. A friend of mine who wrote for BeatDown hooked me up with my first issue in '94, it was KRS on the cover with a huge Pilot marker and an interview with Cope2 inside. I still have it somewhere, I was hooked after that.

• Cosmo, you're on some Prince-level prolificness as of late.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    ...I mean, what the fuck is Jotex"

wow

is it anything like an edeebo?