Psych 45s...

bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
So I need to step up my weak Psych 45 game, any recommendations for cheap to moderately priced heaterz?

Comments

• So I need to step up my weak Psych 45 game, any recommendations for cheap to moderately priced heaterz?

Just like soul is a singles game, psych is an album game, so I think you might want to step up your record speed as well (although psych singles do exist)...

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    So I need to step up my weak Psych 45 game, any recommendations for cheap to moderately priced heaterz?

i started a thread about this about a year ago or so, listed about 10 that i knew, and several other lists followed. it was helpful, and i found about 5 or 6 cheapie singles shortly after the lists. if you search hard enough, i'll bet you can find it.

• i guess there's a massive blur between psych and other similar stuff like garage and freakbeat stuff ..... there's a million killer 7's amongst all that!! not that i have many

ill post up my little list of favs when im in front of my records at home...

try asking the same question over on the vinyl vulture forum (sorry - verygood+) -- there's some guys with monster knowledge over there!!!

• i guess there's a massive blur between psych and other similar stuff like garage and freakbeat stuff

yes, but psych and garage/freakbeat weren't always the same thing. there are psych bands who arent very garagey and vice versa.

not to be a stickler, but if you were concentrating on SOLELY psych, you'd have to have some albums in there (as opposed to 45's)

• Psych garage and freakbeat all seem kinda interchangable... anyone care to elaborate on their differences?

• 45s with psych cuts, there out there...I hate when people list items as psych/garage/prog/folk/freakbeat/pop/45!

• Psych garage and freakbeat all seem kinda interchangable... anyone care to elaborate on their differences?

Psyche

Garage

Freakbeat

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• thanks holmes. That caretakers joint is fire.

• thanks holmes. That caretakers joint is fire.

My pleasure.

Depends on the act.

The Sonics and the Standells are as garagey as the day is long, yet had basically no psych influences at all. Theirs is basically three-chord AM radio music (and I mean that as a compliment).

I consider the Jimi Hendrix Experience to be a six-legged, walking definition of psychedelia, yet they'd sound waaay out of place on a garage compilation. I don't think that the Jefferson Airplane, the Quicksilver Messenger Service, or most of those Haight-Ashbury jam bands are garagey either.

Then you have bands like the Blues Magoos, the Seeds, the Chocolate Watch Band, the Thirteenth Floor Elevators, the Creation...to me, these bands are both garage and psych simultaneously. They've got enough of a teen-club feel to them, yet they were still experimental.

As far as the term "freakbeat" goes...that's just another semi-meaningless term to me. I know I'm gonna get a five-page disagreement, but to me[/b] that's just garage with a foreign accent, which is why I have no problem lumping the Creation in with the Blues Magoos. Like the Squires (who are garage - no psych!) once sang, "same all over, same all over the world..."

Depends on the act.

The Sonics and the Standells are as garagey as the day is long, yet had basically no psych influences at all[/b]. Theirs is basically three-chord AM radio music (and I mean that as a compliment).

Have you ever heard 'All Fall Down' by the Standells?

• [color: red]45s with psych cuts, there out there...I hate when people list items as psych/garage/prog/folk/freakbeat/pop/45! [/color]

Only since eBay have I seen dealers who think Gary Lewis & the Playboys are rare garage stoner psych...

• this one is cool, I guess this dude has every pressing of this record, because I bought one from him a year or two ago in person, and the only ones I ever see on ebay are from him...free form rock freakout...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SORCE-Heavy-Fuzz-Gar...1QQcmdZViewItem

• Have you ever heard 'All Fall Down' by the Standells?

Yes, I have, but that seems more like an exception (for the Standells) and not the rule. The rest of the time, that band was pure garage more or less.

I had to be careful who I listed as examples, 'cause even the Grateful Dead's first album sounds vaguely like some lost garage band!! (I ain't lyin'...)

Yes, I have, but that seems more like an exception (for the Standells) and not the rule. The rest of the time, that band was pure garage more or less.

I had to be careful who I listed as examples, 'cause even the Grateful Dead's first album sounds vaguely like some lost garage band!! (I ain't lyin'...)

I agree with you on 'All Fall Down' being kind of anomalous to the rest of their discography.

I hear you on the Dead.
    Back in my mod/garage days I had a pal who fancied himself the Ace Face and had no taste for "hippy" stuff at all. So one day I whipped 'Cream Puff War' from the first Dead album (without telling him who it was). He - thinking I'd lifted it from 'Back From the Grave' - loved it. Imagine his shock when I let on who it was...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Been at this shit for 30 years and I've never heard a definition of Psych that everyone agrees with.

I agree with you on 'All Fall Down' being kind of anomalous to the rest of their discography.

I hear you on the Dead.
    Back in my mod/garage days I had a pal who fancied himself the Ace Face and had no taste for "hippy" stuff at all. So one day I whipped 'Cream Puff War' from the first Dead album (without telling him who it was). He - thinking I'd lifted it from 'Back From the Grave' - loved it. Imagine his shock when I let on who it was...

Yeah, I didn't want to sound stiff and narrow-minded when I was breaking down what was what, but I've met people who think that "garage" is code for any white rock band that existed during the Vietnam War...no shit, I've met people who were all like, "yeah, 'Green-Eyed Lady' by Sugarloaf is some really killer garage rock!!"

But even then, you get weird anomalies, like the Dead and Standells records mentioned above.

• Been at this shit for 30 years and I've never heard a definition of Psych that everyone agrees with.

It be's that way sometimes. To be honest, I doubt if Soul Strut could agree universally on what funk is.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Is the first track I play here psych or garage or something else entirely? I'm much too little dude to know.

MP3: http://www.waxingdeep.org/radio/waxing_deep_28_09_07.mp3
    M3U: http://www.waxingdeep.org/radio/waxing_deep_28_09_07.mp3

• Is the first track I play here ("It Hurts To Be Lonely" by Clint Ryan[/b]) psych or garage or something else entirely? I'm much too little dude to know.

I'd call it psych, but even if it isn't, it would fit right in a psych set.

Lotta grey areas with this stuff, it's not always cut & dried. But it don't sound like no garage rekkid!

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Is the first track I play here ("It Hurts To Be Lonely" by Clint Ryan[/b]) psych or garage or something else entirely? I'm much too little dude to know.

I'd call it psych, but even if it isn't, it would fit right in a psych set.

Lotta grey areas with this stuff, it's not always cut & dried. But it don't sound like no garage rekkid!

Cool, then psych it is. However we categorise it, I'm a fan of that track!