Future strutter killed in NY

GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I figured only a Strutter would die for an iPod - Soulseek rares loaded up, no doubt........Boy, 15, Dies in a Dispute Over an iPodBy JENNIFER 8. LEE, The New York Times(July 3) - A 15-year-old Brooklyn boy was killed on Saturday night in what investigators believe was a dispute over an iPod, the police said. Christopher Rose left his mother's home wearing a borrowed iPod to get on the subway in the Farragut neighborhood with three friends around 5:30 p.m., his family said.He was approached by a group of teenagers at the corner of Avenue D and 40th Street, near his home, the police said. The youths demanded his iPod, which his family said he had borrowed from a friend, and when he resisted, one of the men stabbed him twice in the chest and attacked his friends. He was taken to Kings County Hospital center and declared dead at 5:50 p.m.The group fled, taking a knapsack and the iPod, the police said.No arrests have been made, and the iPod has not been recovered.Last night, family members gathered at his mother's house."My cousin today got murdered over some stupid iPod," said Koreena Glanville, 21, crying.Mr. Rose was the youngest of four children and the only son, family members said. His nickname was Rosie. He was described as quiet, polite, and good at math.Since the fourth grade, Mr. Rose would spend the school year in Bushkill, Pa., with his father, Errol Rose, a construction worker who commuted to work in New York. He attended East Stroudsburg North High School."We sent him to school in Pennsylvania so he wouldn't get involved in this," said Mr. Rose.Apple's pricey iPod music players have become a target for robberies around the world. In April, the New York City police reported that an increase in subway crime during the first part of the year was driven almost entirely by thefts of digital devices, especially iPods.Matthew Sweeney contributed reporting for this article.

Comments

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    This is fucking terrible! What happened to cassette walkmans?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    saw that on the news last night. FUCKING RETARDED!

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    F*cked up ethics ->

An IPod apparently is worth more than human life...

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    that is so fucked up.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I think it's cool that you're using some young kids death as a joke on Soulstrut.

• Mel_GibsonMel_Gibson 664 Posts
    Sayin. Not a good look, graf.

• Options

Matthew Sweeney contributed reporting for this article.

This fuckin guy, every time he writes an article for the Post I have people from work joking with me like I'm him. "Hey Sween, nice job on the blah blah blah article". Dicks.

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts

There it is. iPods aint even worth it. Yo don't they cost like a hundred now.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    F*cked up ethics ->

It used to be sneakers, Cazals,or leather bomber jackets. Nothin new.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

There it is. iPods aint even worth it. Yo don't they cost like a hundred now.

I am relatively certain that that folks have spilt blood over Walkmans too..hell, people are killed every day over no material goods whatsoever.

That is some sad shit that people will just stab you over nothing. I mean, there was a grip of kids, what ever happened to getting a beatdown?

• Art_FormArt_Form 188 Posts
    Not over no IPod maaaaaaan?!!?!!??!

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    As long as material items are status symbols and as long as 'image is everything', some of those who are less fortunate will go to any length to attain said 'image'. Sad truth.

Who's to blame?

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    F*cked up ethics ->

It used to be sneakers, Cazals,or leather bomber jackets. Nothin new.

Bat - completely agree - used to see people roughed up for their Troop jackets back in the day... Just sayin' that it's a messed up sense of value when these material, inanimate goods take precedent over human life...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    As long as material items are status symbols and as long as 'image is everything', some of those who are less fortunate will go to any length to attain said 'image'. Sad truth.

Who's to blame?

I know, just sayin.

Hell, a friend of mine was shot in front of his house(this was years ago) by some kids in a gang initiation, twice at point blank range. He survived, miraculously, but what a waste it all was.

I 'understand' this stuff, but at the same time, I will never really understand.

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    Who will save us if not ourselves?
    Bernard Goetz was waaaay ahead of his time.
    Wasn't he finally acquiutted too?
    I bet he hasn't been mugged since.

I'm saying.. unfortunate about the kid and really I feel violence is no answer but damn...things is gettin drastic and drastic times require drastic measures they say right?

I might be sendin my kid packin' someday (joking). Or maybe Apple should revise the next iPod to include a tranquilizer dart gun or something.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Who's to blame?
    I would say that as long as some people are constantly denied power they will attempt to gain it or take it from others.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I might be sendin my kid packin' someday (joking). Or maybe Apple should revise the next iPod to include a tranquilizer dart gun or something.

man I hope this tragedy fuels an anti-iPod backlash by concerned citizens' groups across the country.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I might be sendin my kid packin' someday (joking).

That's what my dad did. Sent me out with a Spanish 6 shooter. Glad I never had to use it. BTW, I won't be sending my kids packin'. I'll also teach them not to expose valuble goods on the strret. I'll make sure they have some crappy looking headphones connected to that ipod.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    ipods are expensive compared to the shit people get iced for.

popeye's chicken parking lot:
    mother was iced in front of her family by a man who wanted her fried chicken takeouts. happened about 10 yrs ago here in the belly of milwaukee.

• oldnewsouloldnewsoul 238 Posts
    I'm sickened by this shit. And I don't want to see the parents of these litlle asholes saying that they were good kids and they feel for the family bullshit. Point blank: You have no idea what your kids are because you're too busy living your own life. Probably had no idea who the friends of the kids are. Get involved in your seeds lives, it's your duty.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    I'll make sure they have some crappy looking headphones connected to that ipod.

no doubt. those white earhole jump offs scream 'i've got an ipod, jack me please!'