Your Illest MC That Didn't Make It???

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Hey Producer Cats,I was reminiscing over MCs I made beats for over the years, primarily local cats. I wonder whether your experience was similar to mine, where you worked with this one MC that's the illest cat that never blew or even made it at all. For me, it was my main Keith R****e, better known as Karyme Love back in Fayetteville, NC. This cat is the best to ever do rock the mic in Skeem Laboratories (my busted bedroom studio in my mom's and pop's crib) and he's featured on "Body to Body" on my Soundclick website My Soundclick Site , and also those three Birds of a Feather tracks ("A Girl Named Jetta" fades out before his verse on some snippet-shit, though). I produced him and the other Birds of a Feather MC, Tylique the Narcoleptic (dude could fall asleep at a loud party, yo!) who was nice in his own right, from about 1987-1993. I always thought dude could've made it if he had gotten heard. Who was you illest MC cat who never got there but should've? Holla!!!Peace,Big Stacks from KakalakP.S. Keith, if your out there, get at me dawg. Let's make another run at it!!! It's ya man, P-Skeem (my old-school name).

Comments

• this is a good one. Man, I can't even call it. I worked with so many talented cats that I thought had some much potential. Particularly the stuff I was doing in the early 90s.

I can't narrow it down to one but to three:

Black Man Zeke: He had some real bugged out ideas and everytime we did something
    people responded real well. I got a few demos with him. However, the biggest
    problem was probably that he wasn't good at finishing stuff. He just was always
    on to the next thing and so there is so many unfinished stuff of his

Brain Leakage: These were two young cats who were in high school when I first hooked up with them in about 1990. They were real ill and we knocked out about four songs.There was all sorts of obstacles of parents, people getting in their heads saying I was trying to take advantage of them, and then just our own miscommunications probably related to our age differences.

Syllabyss Illabyss: This is the crew that formed from a few different cats I worked with. It's Tao The Intangible, Crypto, The Immortal Griffen, and Tue. This was the first project for a production company that was started by myself, Isle Of Weight (of Rubberoom/The Opus) and SPO (this local MC in Chicago). They only made one song and did one show (opening for Del) and then they just couldn't get along or whatever and split. It's unfortunate because off this one track we were getting some great feedback and even some interest from some indie labels...

here's the track they did, it's called Ilipsis Nonsense:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3qep0a

I can never pick which is my favorite verse. What was fresh about them is they all had distinct styles. My favorite line is Tao in the last verse when he says, "The Mighty Tao, I turn non-believers into prophets..."

I've recently been creating myspace pages for all my old projects and I'm going to be doing pages for Black Man Zeke and Brain Leakage soon with all their demos. I figure that's my last attempt to get their music heard, even though most of them gave up on music if one day they are surfing the web and across that page it will probably be very inspiring or something, that's the goal at least.

Anyway, good topic

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

I never really made any tracks for him but we where always talking about it... I did make a few original sample tapes that only he had... we went to High School together and everybody had high hopes for him... he did what he did but he should have done more... I was at Temple with him for a minute too now that I think about it...

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I'm not sure who that is but it looks like Fatlip maybe?

• dictator, kwase o'dell, rocc chill, black knights of the north star, sweets, clout, fella, hit from the l.b.c., the lyrical ace of wisdom, shisty, p squared, merlin, idriz, kool fraun, behind bars, without warning, radio, 1st degree, sekou kadell, broken skin. i could go on. peace, stein. . .

• Malik B? Yeah he was cool. I'm a fan of the philly dudes in general. I'm glad Freeway got a 2nd look, but this is reminding me of why the hell hasn't Peedi Crack done more? Cant dude just go to Koch already?

• i could go on. peace, stein. . .

that's interesting to hear- i might have known more people that could "spit" (yeah i said it...) back in the 90's- but nowadays I know so many more producers that I dont think there are hardly any good "rappers" out. I know people who are searching high and low- any prospects out there?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Spook (Austin) - Dude used to own all of the freestyle ciphers at ATX clubs back in the early 90's. Ross could probably vouch for him...

Norwood (Houston/Austin) - Dude used to come up from Houston and own all of the house parties that would have dj's spinning.

Also, it is my duty to ride for...

Saahir Allah of Epatomed (RIP):

and Mystyc of 3rd Dimension (RIP):

• I had a good homie whos a fugative in Hilo now... He went by MC Truth... I think now he emcees by "broke emcee" or something equally generic. He was incredible though, and he could battle like nobodies business. Ultimately though me and him got busted on some graffitti and he ended up fleeing the mainland as opposed to dealing with it. I think he's got kids now and he lives on a farm or something.