Test Presses (RR)

gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
ive been picking up a few late 80s hip hop "test presses" lately, anyone got any information on how/why these get out, and if its worth spending money on them?

Comments

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I have a Brand Nubian test pressing of All For One.

It says,
    Test Pressing From Specialty Records Corporation

DATE: (blank)
    ACCT: ELECTRA
    TITLE: (blank)
    Artist: BRAND NUBIN (record typo)
    MTX. NO. : ST-E-60946-A
    REC. NO. : 60946[/b]

Don't know nothin about it.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    yeah, i've got a couple of the WEA Test Presses. That's all I thought they were, just test presses to make sure the full run doesn't have any errors.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    ive been picking up a few late 80s hip hop "test presses" lately, anyone got any information on how/why these get out, and if its worth spending money on them?

I can give one reason. Test pressings were (are) given out to journalists for reviewing purposes, because of the time between receiving and reviewing a record, to when it will go in print. Most of the time, test pressings is the final mix of an album, or the closest thing to it, so once it's out, it's considered "final".

Once test pressings are mailed out, then they go ahead and press up the stock copies, and promo copies if they were made to be different from the stock. Promo copies would generally go to radio, and then a second or third string of journalists.

Rarely does a test pressing become different than what hit stores, but sometimes an artist will call back the release and want to do another mix, or perhaps the test pressing has a song which may be requested for removal. Then that test pressing will be of value.

You also have test pressings and promos that are "banded for airplay". This essentially means one of two things:

1) The stock record may look like the grooves have no separation between songs, and having silent grooves inbetween would make the DJ spot each song much easier than by looking at the grooves

2) If the album in its final mix is seamless, with little to no space for break, banding an album gives each song a proper beginning and end. A perfect example of this, in cassette form, is the advance I have for the Red Hot Chili Peppers' [color:red]Blood[/color] Sugar Sex Magik[/b]. Each of the songs are separated, while on the stock album they are either non-stop or segue into each other at points. If there's a certain song you like, and want it to have a proper fade opposed to it going into the next song, sometimes a test pressing would have that.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    thanks for the heads up johmbolaya

so i would assume that unless the test press holds a recalled track from any other release, its value is no different from the single itself?

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    Yo Gloom you get those MP3s. Just wondering. See ya around.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    delay what's the unmarked acme joint?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    rope ladder lp... i like one song on it.

Gangstarr... LOTU... Finesse........... Bjork?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Why you mad???

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    my freind that worked at a local record shop gave josh davis a test pressing of BQ in Full Effect.

Ha, no, bjork is just the odd one in there.