SNL - SECOND SEASON ON DVD THIS WEEK

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
...yet another reason to be happy. I'm definitely copping mine early on.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    YES.

What musical guests were featured in the second season?

SUn RA?

Funky Four + 1?

Is this the Bill Murray season?

• I love SNL. Fuck the haters. Old, new(yeah yeah yeah..it isnt the same, but better than Frickin' Mad TV), doesnt matter. So many memories from that show. Classic.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Yeah, this was his first.

• I love SNL. Fuck the haters. Old, new(yeah yeah yeah..it isnt the same, but better than Frickin' Mad TV), doesnt matter.

I'm still not a committed fan of current SNL, but when I'm at my friend John's house, he's usually playing some ep that he's just Tivo'ed, and it actually made me laugh (or should I say chuckle?) without thinking a few times, so they're doing something half right, at least...

• YES.

SUn RA?

Funky Four + 1?

Nope, those acts were later. Here's a complete list of the second-season hosts & guests:
    http://www.tv.com/saturday-night-live/show/365/episode_listings.html?season=2&tag=nav_bar;2

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    YES.

SUn RA?

Funky Four + 1?

Funky 4 ain't until Season 6.

I have a copy of it. But there is a buzz in the audio.

Sun RA is 3.

Season 2 is here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNL:_Season_2

Current season has great performers (except Keenan Thompson, the worst cast member they've ever had IMO) but wretched writing. Supposedly that's because Lorne now only approves the "safest" skits their writers come up with, with as many attempts at lame running characters as possible -- apparently all the real gemz end up getting rejected week after week.

I still watch more often than not for some reason.

fuck the new SNL.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    If you're ever diggin in the cheapo dvd bins at walmart look out for THE BEST OF PHIL HARTMAN, i grabbed one for $5.00. Worth it for his audition alone!

Lily Tomlin/James Taylor 9/18/1976 Reviews 7.51
    26 Norman Lear/Boz Scaggs 9/25/1976 Reviews 7.41
    27 Eric Idle/Joe Cocker and Stuff 10/2/1976 Reviews 7.99
    28 Karen Black/John Prine 10/16/1976 Reviews 7.29
    29 Steve Martin/Kinky Friedman 10/23/1976 Reviews 8.07
    30 Buck Henry/The Band 10/30/1976 Reviews 7.78
    31 Dick Cavett/Ry Cooder 11/13/1976 Reviews 7.32
    32 Paul Simon/George Harrison 11/20/1976 Reviews 7.58
    33 Jodie Foster/Brian Wilson 11/27/1976 Reviews 7.74
    34 Candice Bergen/Frank Zappa 12/11/1976 Reviews 8.23
    35 Ralph Nader/George Benson 1/15/1977 Reviews 7.86
    36 Ruth Gordon/Chuck Berry 1/22/1977 Reviews 7.70
    Special Live from the Mardi Gras 2/20/1977 Reviews 3.74
    37 Fran Tarkenton/Leo Sayer 1/29/1977 Reviews 5.78
    38 Steve Martin/The Kinks 2/26/1977 Reviews 7.69
    39 Sissy Spacek/Richard Baskin 3/12/1977 Reviews 8.07
    40 Broderick Crawford/Dr. John, The Meters 3/19/1977 Reviews 6.82
    41 Jack Burns/Santana 3/26/1977 Reviews 7.74
    42 Julian Bond/Brick 4/9/1977 Reviews 5.35
    43 Elliott Gould/McGarrigle Sisters, Roslyn Kind 4/16/1977 Reviews 7.69
    44 Eric Idle/Neil Innes, Alan Price 4/23/1977 Reviews 7.19
    45 Shelley Duvall/Joan Armatrading 5/14/1977 Reviews 7.55
    46 Buck Henry/Kenny Vance, Jennifer Warnes

Julian Bond/Brick 4/9/1977

After Dazz what's the other single from the Good High LP? Or do they only perform once?

• Julian Bond/Brick 4/9/1977

After Dazz what's the other single from the Good High LP? Or do they only perform once?

Who's to say they couldn't have just done an album track for their other song? This was SNL, not American Bandstand...

Julian Bond/Brick 4/9/1977

Who's to say they couldn't have just done an album track for their other song? This was SNL, not American Bandstand...

very true. they might not even do their own song.

copped............

and went str8 for the Brick & Joan Armatrading performances.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I'm curious to see the Ruth Gordon/Chuck Berry show. Gonna be watching some of these over the next week or two.

• I'm curious to see the Ruth Gordon/Chuck Berry show. Gonna be watching some of these over the next week or two.

That was the first one I played when I got it on Tuesday!

Funny part is, I understand Ruth Gordon was pure hell to work with, and considering that Chuck Berry is a famed piece of work himself, God only knows what it was like at NBC that week...

• copped............

and went str8 for Brick.

It's funny, "Dazz" has always been one of those songs I could take or leave***, but watching them perform it on the DVD damn near made me a believer. Those dudes looked happy as hell to be on television - no rock-star scowls for them!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    ***but then again, I've always loved the soundalike followup, "Dusic" - go figure
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________

copped............

and went str8 for Brick.

It's funny, "Dazz" has always been one of those songs I could take or leave***, but watching them perform it on the DVD damn near made me a believer. Those dudes looked happy as hell to be on television - no rock-star scowls for them!

***but then again, I've always loved the soundalike followup, "Dusic" - go figure

no doubt.

was that song(DAZZ) a big pop radio hit when it came out? Or a big Local Black EXP hit?

I know its always on those 70's comps.

• copped............

and went str8 for Brick.

no doubt.

was that song(DAZZ) a big pop radio hit when it came out? Or a big Local Black EXP hit?

Sheer crossover, pop and soul.

My Billboard reference books are at home, but I seem to recall both "Dazz" and "Dusic" being Top 40 pop ("Dazz" more so).

copped............

and went str8 for Brick.

no doubt.

Sheer crossover, pop and soul.

My Billboard reference books are at home, but I seem to recall both "Dazz" and "Dusic" being Top 40 pop ("Dazz" more so).

I figured.

Sheer crossover Disco and Jazz........

• I'd go as far as saying that the Brick appearance is probably one of the few highlights of that episode, which was hosted by Julian Bond. Mainly a shitload of lame racial humor that wasn't done as well as the Richard Pryor ep.

I'd go as far as saying that the Brick appearance is probably one of the few highlights of that episode, which was hosted by Julian Bond. Mainly a shitload of lame racial humor that wasn't done as well as the Richard Pryor ep.

I just watched the performance and went to the first disc. I wanna watch it chronologically.

So i did peep the James Taylor performance of the first ep.

And does Chevy Chase complete the entire season?

• And does Chevy Chase complete the entire season?

No, he got replaced midway through. I forget offhand which one is which, but there's at least one transitional episode (w/Candice Bergen?) that doesn't have either Chevy Chase or Bill Murray.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

man, chevy comes across as a real asshole in that snl book.him and bill murray threw down before his ep in the 3rd season.

• And does Chevy Chase complete the entire season?
    man, chevy comes across as a real asshole in that snl book.him and bill murray threw down before his ep in the 3rd season.

he always did come off like he needed to be taken down a step...you can kinda see that on the first-season DVD, he acts a little too smug for his own good - no wonder belushi and murray were so pissed-off by his presence

Yeah, supposedly each time he's come back to host (at least into the 80s) he'd reduce some cast member, usually a female, to tears with cruel insults and dismissive behavior.

Also, if I'm remembering correctly when Bill Murray took on Chevy, it was more like the whole cast decided Chevy needed his ass kicked (his first or second time hosting after leaving the show) and Bill Murray was just the appointed one.

Boz Scaggs was real cool, but his second number sounded to similiar to the first one.

Joe Cocker/Stuff was alright.

• Joe Cocker/Stuff was alright.

So you're gonna mention Cocker's guest spot without referencing Belushi's cameo? ----grin---

• SPOILER ALERT: in case you're watching the box set in chronological order and haven't seen the 1977 episode with Broderick Crawford, you may not want to read this...it's not a blow-by-blow recount, just a mere observation:[/b]

WTF? On one of the shows, the Meters appear WITHOUT Art or Cyril Neville??

WTF? On one of the shows, the Meters appear WITHOUT Art or Cyril Neville??

Im not there yet.