Soulstrut Posters CD Trade? IDEA RELATED.

ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I think they did it over at the Funk 45 forum a while back (or at least a few times since), and we need to get a jumpoff like that here. You know, you make a cd of your fav tracks from your crates, send it to someone and you get someone elses in return. Sorta like the secret santa, but no money spent. I'd be happy to head this up and get a list of people together who want to do it, swap everyones addresses etc. Than when people start receiving them, reviews can be posted , etc. We can come up with the criteria if enough people are interested, such as no secret squirrels, track list and cover expected, etc. post here if interested, and Raj or moderators, if this is not cool just delete this thread.

Comments

• SocratesSocrates 137 Posts
    Down for this. Not really an entire different subject but if anyone has cd burns of 1200 Hobos Tapes, Skills, Techniques and or some old school Jampony Express Mix cd's, I got raers galore or some loot.

Holla

Socco

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I just sent out CD's to a few soulstrutters in this fashion. Feels good to bring music you really enjoy to someone elses ears.

I'm down for this

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I do a lot of heavy duty trading with others elsewhere on a regular basis.

So um... yeah.

• Chuck_HussChuck_Huss 145 Posts
    Sign me up.

• Special_EdSpecial_Ed 315 Posts
    Count me in...

• I'm down.

• I'll jump in on this.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I'm up for this. I've participated in about 4 or 5 of these over at the Vinyl Vulture Site. They've taken it WAAAY to the next level however where people sign up, usually around 50, you burn 50 copies of your CD and send them in and get 50 separate mixes back in return. Almost breaks my bank but I've heard so much good music it's ridiculous.

There's a couple ways to decide on who gets whose mix. You could list all the people who signed up and then have the 1st person trade with the last person on the list, or just go 1st & 2nd trade, 3rd-4th, etc.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    That is actually a good idea...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I'm up for this. I've participated in about 4 or 5 of these over at the Vinyl Vulture Site. They've taken it WAAAY to the next level however where people sign up, usually around 50, you burn 50 copies of your CD and send them in and get 50 separate mixes back in return. Almost breaks my bank but I've heard so much good music it's ridiculous.

There's a couple ways to decide on who gets whose mix. You could list all the people who signed up and then have the 1st person trade with the last person on the list, or just go 1st & 2nd trade, 3rd-4th, etc.

It would be interesting to organize a tree, find seeders. Or have someone be seeds, and do simple B+P's, unless it's a 1:1 thing

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    i'd be down for this as long as i get to put whatever i want on the cd and won't have to cater to someone who's all, "i'll only accept a cd with '76 modern soul from the west coast or bollywood soundtracks starting with the letter 'd'." i didn't take part in the secret santa becuase there always seems to be a grip of people that just complain about what they get, but if there's some people that are open for whatever i'll be all in...even make multiple copies and shit.

gotta lotta hip hop and other dope stuff i'd like to share.

great idea.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Oh hell yes...count me in!

This Lil/Medium Dude wants to expand his (Modern Soul) horizons.

SG

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    lets do it, how do we want to start? assign "couples"

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

..count me in .. ..I'll be very happy to partecipate in this.....

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    yup im in

Setting any kind of limits on the mixes misses the point though, don't you think. The easiest way is that this is a 1 on 1 swap. You put anything you want on the CD, just make sure you use most of the time. Send it off and you get a nice surprise in your mail later.

i'd be down for this as long as i get to put whatever i want on the cd and won't have to cater to someone who's all, "i'll only accept a cd with '76 modern soul from the west coast or bollywood soundtracks starting with the letter 'd'." i didn't take part in the secret santa becuase there always seems to be a grip of people that just complain about what they get........

great idea.

I know where you comin from.....

but at least can we make some genre-oriented division ?

for example I have rare 70's soundtracks, soul, soul-jazz and hammond funk

and it would be nice to share with others that has same taste as me........

unfortunately Hip Hop is really not my cup of tea

what do you think ? let's talk abt it

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Can someone from Europe (netherlands) get in on this?
    If so, I'm down.

What do you mean by no secret squirrels?

I'm from europe....Hope you peaople didn't mean strictly american strutters swap

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts
    Off the top of my head here's what I was thinking:

• No specific criteria for the music and no requests, so you get whatever the other person is feeling. If you want to go all out and you can do a crazy ass mix with fuckin 8 toe'd fingernail sloth scratches with your doubles of power of zeus, thats great...I am not a dj, so whoever i trade with will het just straight tracks, unmixed.
    • 1:1 trade...you are given someone's name and address and you send them a CD, you'll get a cd from someone else though...so its sorta a 1:1 trade, you know what i mean.
    • Everyone can participate (Overseas posters this means you!)
    • Tracklisting required, cover not mandatory, but you could lace it with some dope art if wanted.
    • A deadline for entry, and then a deadline for when your shit needs to be there will be set. It wont be anything like 5 days, so dont sweat it.

Anyone have anyhting else?

I am happy to head this shit up.....

i'd be down for this as long as i get to put whatever i want on the cd and won't have to cater to someone who's all, "i'll only accept a cd with '76 modern soul from the west coast or bollywood soundtracks starting with the letter 'd'." i didn't take part in the secret santa becuase there always seems to be a grip of people that just complain about what they get........

great idea.

I know where you comin from.....

but at least can we make some genre-oriented division ?

for example I have rare 70's soundtracks, soul, soul-jazz and hammond funk
    and it would be nice to share with others that has same taste as me........

unfortunately Hip Hop is really not my cup of tea

what do you think ? let's talk abt it

you're asking for waaaay too much. you're asking for 30-60 people to match their tastes. that would take a ridiculously large amount of time.

Off the top of my head here's what I was thinking:

• No specific criteria for the music and no requests, so you get whatever the other person is feeling. If you want to go all out and you can do a crazy ass mix with fuckin 8 toe'd fingernail sloth scratches with your doubles of power of zeus, thats great...I am not a dj, so whoever i trade with will het just straight tracks, unmixed.
    • 1:1 trade...you are given someone's name and address and you send them a CD, you'll get a cd from someone else though...so its sorta a 1:1 trade, you know what i mean.
    • Everyone can participate (Overseas posters this means you!)
    • Tracklisting required, cover not mandatory, but you could lace it with some dope art if wanted.
    • A deadline for entry, and then a deadline for when your shit needs to be there will be set. It wont be anything like 5 days, so dont sweat it.

Anyone have anyhting else?

I am happy to head this shit up.....

By far the easiest way to run such a swap.

• anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
    i'm definitely interested as well...l

• mimmim 44 Posts
    i'll participate with some hot yugo and eastern euro shit.. just connected my turntable and pc, that's gonna be fun.

wouldn't it be better if someone had a ftp server and we could all upload to it and have a (password protected, for all that submitted) mp3 database? is that possible?

• DEFINATELY down for a little Mix-Tape Club....

PM me with details, and start date, whoever is coordinating this.

• yeah sounds like a good idea to me. id love to start trading mixes with people...especially with open minded people that like other things than just strictly funk/soul/breaks/etc mixes. this would also be good motivation to quit being lazy and start getting busy as well. definately let me know if something gets popping

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    put me down

make sure I get Day if he participates. his 8 toe'd fingernail sloth scratches are the bestest

• arkark 9 Posts
    I'd be down for this, it sounds like a great idea. And a good thread for me to stop being an anon. sup everybody.

Ark.

......especially with open minded people that like other things than just strictly funk/soul/breaks/etc mixes.......

wow, ok...thanks to this board I realized i'm not open-minded

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    i'm in.