Big Mama Unice's Jazz Hi-Life Mix

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Here is the first mix from the records I got from Big Mama Unice.This is Hi-Life, Jazz & Blues. A Soul, Funk, Psych & Afrobeat mix will follow in a few days and it's going to be a real tough one, I can promise you that much!Check this out though, some of these tracks are just plain haunting... I've had it on the home stereo and the car stereo for the past two days now...Big thanx to Rainer at KONZEPTLOS for hosting this!Click on image to listen:Sorry about the missing time code, I'll add it later.01 Sahara All Stars Band Jos - ejim ogu n'ejim ofor (hi-life)02 Vida Rose (Hi-Life Sister No.1) and the Cool Guys - manya mahu me dofo yi03 the Sparrows - wofee woyaa he ni (bra-dipo beat ga)04 St. Augustine & the Rovers Dance Band - (native blues)05 Gerard et Cam - pemba veron 2 (cam)06 All Brothers Band - aboa atea (kalakara)07 E.K.'s No.1 Band - agoro beso a efiri anopa (codril akan)08 African Bros. Int. Band - mensu (slow hi-life)09 C.K. Mann - mebusuafo pe adze aye me (osode)10 Kotoko Big Sound Band - obreguo (malinge in twi)11 T.O. Jazz Band of Ghana - kyebi amaa pa12 Cecilia Akombi's Band - fikyiri bodewa (hi-life)13 Sir Victor Uwaifo - do amen-do (akwete)14 African Bros. Int. Band - nansooben (anakful beat)

Comments

• top shelf as always Frank. I always love another mix to play in the car. All 6 cd's in the player are your mixes. What a jukebox. Thanks again. Are you still coming to New York early January?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    top shelf as always Frank. I always love another mix to play in the car. All 6 cd's in the player are your mixes. What a jukebox. Thanks again. Are you still coming to New York early January?

Thanx! that's quite encouraging!
    I'm so glad that people also enjoy things that are not Funk or Afrobeat.
    For me it's been most rewarding to find these crasy, hard-to-describe things that I had no idea existed... even though some of them sound strangely familiar.

NY in January won't work out... we already booked flights to go to Benin for the big anual Voodoun (national Voodoo celebration day)...

maybe we'll come to NY next summer, maybe we'll even stay for 4 years but there's also a chance of us ending up in Costa Rica instead or perhaps even Hanoi. We'll get to know within the next minth or so...

• hopefully we can work out a book-record trade for that Benin comp sometime. Drop me a line. Also, do you have any records on consignment anywhere?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    hopefully we can work out a book-record trade for that Benin comp sometime. Drop me a line. Also, do you have any records on consignment anywhere?

No... unfortunatelly the low dollar makes it very unattractive to sell stuff right now. I won't let you down on the Benin Comp though, I think I can figure out a way to get this your way in January via some visiting friends from Europe. Let's PM next week.

• hopefully we can work out a book-record trade for that Benin comp sometime. Drop me a line. Also, do you have any records on consignment anywhere?

No... unfortunatelly the low dollar makes it very unattractive to sell stuff right now. I won't let you down on the Benin Comp though, I think I can figure out a way to get this your way in January via some visiting friends from Europe. Let's PM next week.

Absolutely. Thanks again.

• I hope you dont mind, but ive chopped a tune or two out of your mixes and have played them on the radio, always with a backstory on you and how these songs where unearthed...got a good response on the "Sookie", being I am in Memphis and that was the rawest take on a Steve Cropper riff ever...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I hope you dont mind, but ive chopped a tune or two out of your mixes and have played them on the radio, always with a backstory on you and how these songs where unearthed...got a good response on the "Sookie", being I am in Memphis and that was the rawest take on a Steve Cropper riff ever...

I definitely don't mind at all, it's great to get this music out there and I probably wouldn't have done half the digging down here without the feedback from the Strut and people who've left comments on my blog.

• I hope you dont mind, but ive chopped a tune or two out of your mixes and have played them on the radio, always with a backstory on you and how these songs where unearthed...got a good response on the "Sookie", being I am in Memphis and that was the rawest take on a Steve Cropper riff ever...

I love that song too. The lp it's on...

is much easier to find than the 45

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I hope you dont mind, but ive chopped a tune or two out of your mixes and have played them on the radio, always with a backstory on you and how these songs where unearthed...got a good response on the "Sookie", being I am in Memphis and that was the rawest take on a Steve Cropper riff ever...

I love that song too. The lp it's on...

is much easier to find than the 45

but the LP version misses one full minute and the whole second drum break...