Marvin Gaye: Divided Soul

Secret_ChimpSecret_Chimp 915 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Anybody else read this book? I just finished it. It blew my mind.. really well written (though the psychoanalytical aspects of it got kind of annoying after a while). I've seen some pretty bad reviews of the book, but overall I think it was a great read.

What a life that dude lived.

Did you know that:

[*]His family in DC was a member of a religious sect called the House of God (a conservative Christian sect that fuses elements of orthodox Judaism and Pentecostalism)?

[*]Mingering Mike's older brother used to sing on the corner with him?

[*]His father was an ordained minster of the church, and he liked to dress up in women's clothing? And that he pretty much hated Marvin Gaye and beat him regularly as a kid?

[*]Marvin added an "e" to his last name? (maybe he did this to separate himself from his flamboyant father?)

[*]His 1st wife was Anna Gordy, Berry's sister? And that Berry insisted that artists on his label not date anyone outside of the Motown family?

[*]In his last couple of years he grew seriously paranoid (and extremely coked out) and made sure there were guns all around him in case someone tried to assassinate him?

[*]He had plans in the early 80s to record an album produced by Barry White?

[*]He was shot and killed by his father on April Fool's Day, a day before his birthday?

[*]His father only got 5 years probation for manslaughter?

My hat goes off to Marvin Gaye, one of the deepest and most heartfelt singer/songwriters ever. RIP.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Yeah , that book is entertaining. I was told on this site that there is an even better book out there. Search for it on this site. I forgot.