APD Police Chief Fires Rogue Cop

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Remember a couple months back when I was ranting about a young man named Kevin Brown getting shot in the back and killed by a Austin cop outside of Chester's nightclub? Well, that punk ass cop just got fired...http://www.kut.org/items/show/10766

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• Maybe the new dude is doing more than paying lip service.

Maybe the new dude is doing more than paying lip service.

Color me impressed.

Also, I'm laughing hard at the Austin Chronicle for following up their trendy attempt at advocating for Kevin Brown by dragging his name all through the mud as they all but stated that he ultimately got what he deserved...only to have the Police Chief himself make them look like idiots.

And yeah, we might as well laugh at Rockadelic as well.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    we might as well laugh at Rockadelic as well.

Sassy

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Sissy

Sissy

You're obviously referring to the cop who shot Kevin Brown in the back, right?

Shaking by Eric | hide/show
    Somehow I missed the Chronicle's article on "Kevin Brown's gun" from October. I haven't read it in full because I'm blinded by rage just by reading the opening paragraphs. What a disgusting piece of shit. What a disgusting racist piece of shit. There's no reason to write an article like that other than to absolve the police and put the blame on the dead guy and prove his utter criminality. With this article, the Chronicle has gone from a mildly amusing white boomer rag with stereotypically white middle class boomer politics to an overtly racist piece of shit.
    Fuck you, Austin Chronicle. 11-30-2007

Good God by guest | hide/show
    The cop killed him EXECUTION STYLE.
    Does that not tell you anything?
    Read the civilian witness statements starting on page 18 of this document. http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/statesman/pdf/11/112907olsen_kroll_report.pdf
    Althoguh there are some that didn't, most of the civilian witnesses (and oddly enough, none of the cops) heard Kevin Brown pleading for his life the night he was shot between the first shots and the ones that killed him.
    Olsen is a murderer. The only thing he deserves is prison time. 12-04-2007

Date Received: Sun., Dec. 2, 5:34PM
    ACEVEDO WAS RIGHT TO FIRE OLSEN
    Dear Editor,
    Michael Olsen was a liability to the community and the Police Department. He was a ticking time bomb that, if taken care of properly under Chief Stan Knee, wouldn???t have fallen to Chief Art Acevedo to deal with, and Kevin Brown would still be alive.
    Olsen was one of nine involved in the 2000 death of Steven Scott and was suspended for his actions against Jeffrey Thornton (both young black males), when in 2003, Olsen struck Thornton's head against a patrol car for the ???crime??? of being in the street. Without provocation, Olsen knocked Thornton unconscious but claimed Thornton was "faking" his injuries and ultimately lied to Austin Police Department investigators about what he had done. Luckily, a surveillance video caught the incident, so Thornton???s charges were dropped; most aren???t so "lucky" when cops lie.
    Acevedo has committed to firing any officer for lying, so if this case had happened under his watch, again, Brown would still be alive.
    But surely these prior incidents weren't isolated. Olsen even admitted to losing his temper twice that night prior to encountering Brown. We???ll never know how many times this man rampaged at the expense of community members and officers and was not disciplined for it. Under Knee, such behavior was routinely tolerated.
    The new chief has been consistent in his disciplinary decisions, which is the key to creating an accountable department and a safe community. Olsen put other officers in jeopardy the night he shot Brown, so his termination also helps to ensure officers??? safety, not the other way around, as Olsen weakly maintains. Most officers understand this; it???s those that believe they are above the law that bring harm.
    Acevedo rightly concluded what Internal Affairs failed to, which is a separate issue to address, as is the failings of the Travis County District Attorney???s Office in the grand jury process.
    The American Civil Liberties Union of Texas' Central Texas Chapter commends the chief for applying justice in this case. His actions provide great hope for the future, but we remain steadfastly committed to playing our role in furthering a more accountable department and a safer community.
    Debbie Russell
    President
    ACLU-TX Central Texas Chapter