Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited March 4 in Strut Central

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Wifey be upset I bet.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

• my family quit giving gifts a few years back. it's nice man. alotta people stress way too much about buying gifts.

• my family quit giving gifts a few years back. it's nice man. alotta people stress way too much about buying gifts.

Word. My fam quit giving gifts years ago. We donate money to a local food bank every year instead of buying lots of shit none of us really need.

that's a good idea. i'm just stoked to be away from work and with my fam, who i don't get to see too often.

going to LA this year for xmas. looking forward to record shopping there cause i've never been.

Wifey be upset I bet.

Nah. No more wifey son.

Ah, sorry to hear that! Hope you're aiight...

Duly noted!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

You'll never pull it off.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Wifey be upset I bet.

Nah. No more wifey son.

Ah, sorry to hear that! Hope you're aiight...

Thanx mayne. Just MAD drama. Don't get married Mark!

Damn.
    If you need anything, even just to talk, don't hesitate to holler.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    my family quit giving gifts a few years back. it's nice man. alotta people stress way too much about buying gifts.

Word. My fam quit giving gifts years ago. We donate money to a local food bank every year instead of buying lots of shit none of us really need.

That's a good idea. I've tried so many times to just abstain from this holiday, but while I can strike a "don't buy anything for me, I won't buy anything for you" deal with a few individuals per year, I can never fully remove myself. Feh.

• join the club,yall
    i pretty much stopped buying people shit a couple yeas back.
    instead what i try to do is make something to give to people.

one year i learned how to carve those rubber pad prints and i copied one of those eskimo art images of an owl. i attached a little quote about it being a sentinel and shining through darkness. my homie's brother overdosed around the same time and the print was appreciated by his grieving ma.

last year i put some feel good songs together on a cd and handmade a bunch of covers.

a coworker of mine made and bottled some herbal massage oils for people. i still joke around with her that i use the oils every time i get busy (probably half true)

another friend pickled some string beans and gave them out in ball jars. surprisingly good.

any other "make something" ideas?

• you know what might be good
    making little neck warmers out of rice and cloth, that you sew up and then someone can throw it iin th emicrowave and then stick on their neck.

i dont really know how to sew like that though

yo sorry if im getting all arts and crafts in the cheapskate thread

LOL. Why not? I'm not buying shit for nobody! Easy.

You may be able to pull this off if you can answer yes to the following questions:

1. Are you a hermit?
    2. Are you unmarried and not in a serious relationship?
    3. You do not have any living siblings or parents
    4. You are a practicing Muslim/Buddhist?
    5. Do you not have any friends?

If you answered yes to all of those, then I stand corrected, you can do it!

• You'll never pull it off.

You may be able to pull this off if you can answer yes to the following questions:

1. Are you a hermit?

Damn Kinetic, are you the Australian Santa Claus or some shit? Do you dress up in a Santa suit and deliver presents to everyone you know? Not a hermit, the unmarried/serious relationship part is mad hectic right now, I have my mother and one brother who do not buy presents for me either, I have studied Islam and Buddhism, but I am not "practicing," and yes I have some friends. Look mayne, if you love someone or have some friends or people you care about, get them presents and do nice things for them all of the time. Bring your mom flowers, cook her dinner, pick up the check when you're out with friends, send your siblings presents for no reason other than you love them. Christmas is a weird time where the retail industry has convinced people that they need to buy as many things as possible to show their affection for other people. It is also a psuedo holiday as we all know Jesus was not born in December! Christmas was created to get people in a better mood during the depressing winter months. I'm not saying I don't ever buy people presents or don't deal with people, I just think Christmas is silly. All the damn decorations, Christmas swaters, lights all over peoples houses and wack songs are too much.

damn. nicely said.

1. Are you a hermit?

Damn Kinetic, are you the Australian Santa Claus or some shit? Do you dress up in a Santa suit and deliver presents to everyone you know? Not a hermit, the unmarried/serious relationship part is mad hectic right now, I have my mother and one brother who do not buy presents for me either, I have studied Islam and Buddhism, but I am not "practicing," and yes I have some friends. Look mayne, if you love someone or have some friends or people you care about, get them presents and do nice things for them all of the time. Bring your mom flowers, cook her dinner, pick up the check when you're out with friends, send your siblings presents for no reason other than you love them. Christmas is a weird time where the retail industry has convinced people that they need to buy as many things as possible to show their affection for other people. It is also a psuedo holiday as we all know Jesus was not born in December! Christmas was created to get people in a better mood during the depressing winter months. I'm not saying I don't ever buy people presents or don't deal with people, I just think Christmas is silly. All the damn decorations, Christmas swaters, lights all over peoples houses and wack songs are too much.

Damn, you replied to every point and shit. I'm flattered. But I think you're taking this a bit too seriously! I don't care if you buy no presents or a million presents. I guess my only (fairly moot) point was that in our Western culture, it's very hard to disengage from the whole Christmas thing because of the social pressure to participate. I have a similar view of things to you in terms of the whoel "show gratitude anytime, not just on aparticular day", but I still think it's relatively hard to not participate and also not feel slightly like an asshole... do you know what i mean?

So yeah... no hate dude. Do your thang mang!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    we all know Jesus was not born