Sister Rosetta Tharpe - Recommendations-Related

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Charles Burnett's To Sleep with Anger begins with her version of Precious Memories. The accompanying opening scene is a tableau that the camera pans and zooms on with the added touch of a very well-done special effect.I don't know too much of her music - what is a good record of hers - that has Precious Memories on it? Any help is greatly appreciated!Thank You.

Comments

• It doesn't have "Precious Memories" on it, but you gotta track down Gospel Train on Decca (later reissued on MCA). It has all the cuts that made her famous: "Don't Take Everybody To Be Your Friend," "Didn't It Rain," "Up Above My Head," etc..

And if you really get fixated on Tharpe, there's a really good book about her by Gayle Ward.

EDIT: Wait a minute, "Precious Memories" happens to be on a Mercury album...ALSO confusingly titled Gospel Train.[/b]

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in love!

EDIT: Wait a minute, "Precious Memories" happens to be on a Mercury album...ALSO confusingly titled Gospel Train.[/b]

How does this one fare in your opinion? It seems like the easier one to find...I need to listen to Precious Memories about 1500 more times the way I feel today after hearing it last night. This should do until I find the Decca one, right?

1. Jericho

2. When They Ring The Golden Bell

3. Two Little Fishes Five Loaves Of Bread

4. Beams Of Heaven

5. Cain't No Grave Hold My Body Down

6. All Alone

7. Up Above My Head There's Music In The Air

8. I Shall Know Him

9. Fly Away

10. How About You

11. Precious Memories

12. 99 1/2 Won't Do

• EDIT: Wait a minute, "Precious Memories" happens to be on a Mercury album...ALSO confusingly titled Gospel Train.[/b]

How does this one fare in your opinion? It seems like the easier one to find...I need to listen to Precious Memories about 1500 more times the way I feel today after hearing it last night. This should do until I find the Decca one, right?

1. Jericho

2. When They Ring The Golden Bell

3. Two Little Fishes Five Loaves Of Bread

4. Beams Of Heaven

5. Cain't No Grave Hold My Body Down

6. All Alone

7. Up Above My Head There's Music In The Air

8. I Shall Know Him

9. Fly Away

10. How About You

11. Precious Memories

12. 99 1/2 Won't Do

That seems like a good comp. For real though, I don't think I've heard a bad Sister Rosetta Tharpe. I have like 6 of her lp's and they are all great. From the earlier stuff, all the way to when she was "rediscovered" and rocked even harder. There is also a live album of her's thats unbelievable. Not to mention, I've always wanted to hear her wedding album...sounds interesting. I even rock her on one of my homemade shirts

For real though, I don't think I've heard a bad Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

That's what I'm thinking, espcially for someone like me who is new to the wonderful world of Sister Rosetta!

• EDIT: Wait a minute, "Precious Memories" happens to be on a Mercury album...ALSO confusingly titled Gospel Train.[/b]

How does this one fare in your opinion?

:ehhhhhh:

It seems like the easier one to find...I need to listen to Precious Memories about 1500 more times the way I feel today after hearing it last night. This should do until I find the Decca one, right?

Pretty much. Her Mercury stuff is NICE, but not electrifying. It's all about Decca.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

It seems like the easier one to find...I need to listen to Precious Memories about 1500 more times the way I feel today after hearing it last night. This should do until I find the Decca one, right?

Pretty much. Her Mercury stuff is NICE, but not electrifying. It's all about Decca.

Ms. Bassie: Check this out immediately. It's 81 tracks of Tharpe at Decca. Not a bad price price, either.

• i've got a couple of the Document CDs...they're good. Also the recent book about her is really good.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    All I have on vinyl is Gospel Truth on Mercury and I like it quite a bit.

Ms. Bassie: Check this out immediately. It's 81 tracks of Tharpe at Decca. Not a bad price price, either.

BIG on that collection.

Thank You!!! My main problem is that I don't have a CD player...but I will have to get it still. I can listen to it at work and one day - I'm sure - I will own this new and amazing audio apparatus!

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    yo bassie

PM me and if you want I have about 7 or 8 tracks on MP3 that I can email you if you like. Includes my absolute favorite track 3 LITTLE FISHES... which is just

Cheers....

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Thank You!!! My main problem is that I don't have a CD player...but I will have to get it still. I can listen to it at work and one day - I'm sure - I will own this new and amazing audio apparatus!

yeah, they're pretty cool, it's what people used to have before zunes.

• Ms. Bassie: Check this out immediately. It's 81 tracks of Tharpe at Decca. Not a bad price price, either.

yeah, they're pretty cool, it's what people used to have before zunes.

They say that CD's are about to take over the industry. Is that true?

zunes.

very funny. now you're just making up words to confuse me.