Badfinger vs Bad Company

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Apple or Swan Song? Dice? Or No Dice?

Comments

• Love Badfinger, and the first BadCo LP is cool. After that I couldn't tell you...

• CBearCBear 902 Posts

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Nobody feels like making love?

Paul Rodgers > Pete Ham

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Paul Rodgers > Pete Ham

Free > Badfinger > Bad Company

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Paul Rodgers is one of my favorite vocalists
    is all of Rock & Roll ... but I would rather
    listen to FREE than Bad Company any day ...

Paul Rodgers > Pete Ham

Yeah, yeah and...

King Crimson > Mott > Free > Bad Company

• Nobody feels like making love?

Paul Rodgers > Pete Ham

Yeah, yeah and...

Mott > King Crimson > Free > Bad Company[/b]

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Badfinger/Bad Company = apples/oranges... but this album

is a pinnacle of power pop, miles beyond No Dice, and to me is greater than the sum of everything Bad Company ever released...

power pop

what the hell is that?

• power pop

what the hell is that?

loud guitars and singing about feelings instead of loud guitars and singing about pussy and partying

• Montrose > Mott > Free > Bad Company

• Badfinger/Bad Company = apples/oranges... but this album

is a pinnacle of power pop, miles beyond No Dice, and to me is greater than the sum of everything Bad Company ever released...

AMEN, BROTHER![/b]

What the hell are these two bands doing being compared to each other? Yes, they're both bands from England who get played a lot on classic-rock radio, but apart from that...this ain't apples and oranges, this is apples and doorknobs!

Free > Mott > King Crimson > Bad Company > Montrose

power pop

what the hell is that?

loud guitars and singing about feelings instead of loud guitars and singing about pussy and partying

i thought that was called 'emo'?

power pop

what the hell is that?

I liked the description I read recently (I think on Waxidermy) of
    Power Pop being "music by bands who think Beatles for Sale is
    the best Beatles album" ... or something like that.

If we're talking Flamin' Groovies, Nerves, The Boys, Shoes - then power
    pop is some of my favorite stuff out there.

• Free > Mott > King Crimson > Bad Company > Paper Lace > Archies > Montrose

• Those two reunion albums that Badfinger did in '79 (Airwavesa) and '81 (Say No More) are shockingly good.

And if you think that Badfinger is the better band in this battle, check out a band from Ohio called Artful Dodger. Three albums for Columbia in the seventies, then when power-pop briefly became the thing (thanks to the Knack), they reunited for one more album, Rave On, on Ariola.

• Free > Mott > King Crimson > Bad Company > Paper Lace > Archies > Montrose

now that's straight hattred, but maybe you never saw them live

Those two reunion albums that Badfinger did in '79 (Airwavesa) and '81 (Say No More) are shockingly good.

And if you think that Badfinger is the better band in this battle, check out a band from Ohio called Artful Dodger. Three albums for Columbia in the seventies, then when power-pop briefly became the thing (thanks to the Knack), they reunited for one more album, Rave On, on Ariola.

Honor Amongst Thieves is a fave.....

And if I'm gonna let my Power Pop/Top 40 flag fly....

Fotomaker!!!

• Those two reunion albums that Badfinger did in '79 (Airwavesa) and '81 (Say No More) are shockingly good.

Honor Amongst Thieves is a fave.....

And if I'm gonna let my Power Pop/Top 40 flag fly....

Fotomaker!!!

I see your Fotomaker and raise you......in case you can't see the title, this is The Place I Love by Splinter on the Dark Horse label. Don't be fooled, they looked like they should be another Seals & Crofts, but the music is straight-up Badfinger, with hard power chords and everything.

Splinter had three LP's in all, but unfortunately, the only other album I have of theirs is the godawful Two-Man Band, where they've decided to finally sound like they looked. All the 1970's soft-rock fans like Anthony Pearson, here ya go!! But, for my money, Splinter did their best stuff elsewhere.

• power pop

what the hell is that?

emo is loud guitars and 'whining' about feelings...and it doesnt rock...I should have added "and rocks" after "feelings"...my bad. I like me some music that is deemed power pop...but we recently got a shit ton of "Bomp" label 45s (THE power pop label of the 70s) and I wasnt feeling any of them, even the Stiv Bators one...but if were talking about Badfinger, Big Star, The Nazz, Flaming Groovies, the Real Kids...Ill ride, but I suppose that isnt the "deep" stuff...

• power pop

what the hell is that?

emo is loud guitars and 'whining' about feelings...and it doesnt rock...I should have added "and rocks" after "feelings"...my bad. I like me some music that is deemed power pop...but we recently got a shit ton of "Bomp" label 45s (THE power pop label of the 70s) and I wasnt feeling any of them, even the Stiv Bators one...

Well, to me the best power-pop came out BEFORE the term was invented (1977-78)...this, to me, is why Emitt Rhodes, Artful Dodger, Blue Ash, Badfinger, the Sidewinders, Big Star and the Raspberries are far superior to the skinny-tie new-wavey stuff like what Bomp was putting out. When Badfinger and them were around, the bands doing this kind of thing weren't as precious and self-conscious as the postpunk bands that Bomp signed.

Funny part is, I actually like some of the new wave-era pop bands that cropped up after the Knack hit it big in '79. But even then, as much as I love the Cretones and the Sinceros (check your nearest 99-cent bin), they lacked that extra something that the earlier bands had.

but if were talking about Badfinger, Big Star, The Nazz, Flaming Groovies, the Real Kids...Ill ride, but I suppose that isnt the "deep" stuff...

Well, speaking for myself, I never considered the Real Kids power-pop, they seemed a little too hard for that. The Flamin' Groovies were better as an all-around roots-rock band (on their Flamingo and Teenage Head elpees); their power-pop albums on Sire just don't have that same powerful effect. I guess the other three bands you mentioned may as well be Power Pop 101.

The Power Pop phenomenom really seems to have been strong in the Midwest...especially the Kansas City area for some reason. I've found more private Power Pop stuff from that area than any other.

• The Power Pop phenomenom really seems to have been strong in the Midwest...especially the Kansas City area for some reason. I've found more private Power Pop stuff from that area than any other.

Memphis, too, oddly enough! Big Star had nothing on Tommy Hoehn or Cargoe.

Speaking for Chicago, last winter I attended a Pezband/Off Broadway show, and it seemed like there were more well-preserved MILF's in the audience than you could shake a stick at...the bands themselves ruled the local rock scene back in 1978-80 and still sounded fine, but should have left the blues songs back at the practice space...