I Met Junior Mance...

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
after his great performance with his trio group at Blue Note's Jazz Brunch (in NYC) this past Sunday afternoon. He was quite friendly and gracious as jazz legends go. The man tickled the ivories with ageless greatness (given he's 79 years old), and his bassist and drummer were no joke either. It was a treat for T**i and I to witness sheer musical genius live and direct. I kinda diggin' this move to Jersey since you can't beat the proximity to such events.Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    He was quite friendly and gracious as jazz legends go.

This has always been the best thing about going to
    jazz shows in clubs - in my experience, most jazz
    legends tend to hang out with the audience, sit with
    people for a minute, and just be very engaging.
    I met a ton of guys when I was a kid in the 70's/80's,
    just because my Dad would always hang out with them
    and have me tagging along. Getting a drink for Arnett Cobb
    (seltzer) while my Dad bent his ear at the table was fun.

Even to this day, I somehow seem to meet most classic jazz
    artists I see perform, sometimes without even trying, if it's
    in a club.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    He was quite friendly and gracious as jazz legends go.

This has always been the best thing about going to
    jazz shows in clubs - in my experience, most jazz
    legends tend to hang out with the audience, sit with
    people for a minute, and just be very engaging.
    I met a ton of guys when I was a kid in the 70's/80's,
    just because my Dad would always hang out with them
    and have me tagging along. Getting a drink for Arnett Cobb
    (seltzer) while my Dad bent his ear at the table was fun.

Even to this day, I somehow seem to meet most classic jazz
    artists I see perform, sometimes without even trying, if it's
    in a club.

Hey SoulOnIce,

I had a similarly pleasant experience meeting John Ambercrombie during at a late-night show at the Blue Note (nearly 9 years ago). I had drinks with him and the band (i.e., Ravi Coltrane, Tony Freedus, and George Mranz who filled in for John Patitucci) during their break between sets. They were cool cats and they put on a fantastic show.

Regarding fathers as conduits for meeting performers, I mainly met gospel performers through my pops since he too sung gospel. I met groups like the Gospel Keynotes (when falsetto Charles McClain had replaced Paul Beasley), The Mighty Clouds of Joy, The Sensational Nightingales, and too many others to name. All were nice people, but then again, I was a kid so people (normal people, anyway) tend to show warmth toward children. They could've been jerks to adults for all I knew.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• one of the many reasons that nyc is such a great town is that on any given day you can drop 25 bucks to be blown away by a jazz legend for an hour and change and then have the pleasure of possibly meeting him/her afterward.

met a few guys at the clubs but my most memorable concert/chat was with ron carter when he played the older (and nicer) iridium. i had never heard someone make a bass "sing" until he played his version of "song for you". i wonder if he really told jaco off like that.

• i wonder if (ron carter) really told jaco off like that.

he did? what did he say?

• i wonder if (ron carter) really told jaco off like that.

he did? what did he say?

it was in a thread last week

outside a club, Jaco went up to Ron and said "hi, I'm Jaco Pastorius, greatest bass player in the world." and Ron was like "I know who you are motherfucker; I know 5 cats better than you, not even including myself. You play jazz but don't even play upright." or something like that.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "hi, I'm Jaco Pastorius, greatest bass player in the world."

Who SAYS things like this??

btw, Ron Carter is someone I met not long ago after
    seeing him perform, and he is one very smooth and cool
    individual, with the Sherlock Holmes pipe and 3-piece
    suits. Also very approachable and spoke eloquently on
    jazz with us for a while.