SO. CENTRAL AVE JAZZ [LA RELATED]

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
i am talking about 1920s-50s los angeles when central ave was THEE SPOT for late nite jam sessions and such. i was just wondering if there are any recordings from this period in angeleno history specifically from the lincoln theater. im helping a friend with a project. anyone know? help plaese!

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    i am talking about 1920s-50s los angeles when central ave was THEE SPOT for late nite jam sessions and such. i was just wondering if there are any recordings from this period in angeleno history specifically from the lincoln theater. im helping a friend with a project. anyone know? help plaese!

Check out this book by a friend of mine:

meticulously researched book on the Central Ave. scene.

And you know about the box set, right?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I've only recently discovered that certain Gerald Wilson are stunning. Wish I would have known sooner, and if anybody has any GW recommendations...

• thanks dudes! yeah oliver, i think i skimmed thru that book as well as the 5 other ones written on the subject. was looking for specific recordings at the lincoln theatre as i think the theatre is the center piece of this certain project im helping on. i ran into kamau and was chatting with him about it for a second. he's a cool dude btw.

anyways, hey harvey, i just found this texas rap record by yogi boy. bonus part was the back photo.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

anyways, hey harvey, i just found this texas rap record by yogi boy. bonus part was the back photo.

No se, senor.

• well i grabbed it cuz the album leads off with a track called cavarrici. which was kinda bad. but i flipped the jacket over and saw this.