The worst last name EVERRRR

GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
http://www.etruth.com/News/Content.aspx?ID=350828&pageLocal SportsHomo up for new challengeMemorial boys track and field coach taking over girls cross country teamPublished: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 -- The Truth, B1Last updated: 6/20/2005 11:58:14 PMBy Mark HuffmanTruth StaffBy Sonny WhittakerTruth StaffEnlarge PhotoAdam HomoELKHART -- Since taking over the Memorial boys track and field program, Adam Homo has turned it into the area's most dominant powerhouse.Now he's looking to do the same with the girls."It's very exciting," said Homo, who was recently named head coach of the XC team and who has also coached girls swimming at EMHS. "We want to see this program blossom."Homo has a record of 34-0-1 in four seasons as the boys track coach and has led the Crimson Chargers to four straight sectional and North Lakes Conference (NLC) titles, going unbeaten in regular-season play.His team placed fourth at the state meet in 2003, and last season he did an impressive job of leading a young team to a fourth-place finish at the Fort Wayne Wayne Regional.Homo takes over for longtime girls cross country coach Ted Noffsinger, who coached for 26 seasons at Memorial, including boys and girls, and compiled a record of 223-146.Those expected to return for Memorial include All-NLC honorable mention selection Dori Walterhouse, who finished 15th at the NLC meet and was 14th at both the Elkhart Sectional and Elkhart Regional.Last season, the Memorial girls finished fourth at the NLC meet, fifth in the final NLC standings at 3-4 and sixth in the Elkhart Sectional.Homo admits he has a lot of work ahead of him in order to get the program up to the standards of his boys track program."I like the strategy of cross country," said Homo, 1993 Central High School graduate who ran cross country and swam at Wabash College. "I like coming into a program that really wasn't where it should be. I'm looking forward to working with the girls and want to have a good time as well as focusing on getting better. We have a long way to go, but it comes down to how much time or mileage we can get in during the summer."Homo comes from a family familiar with track and cross country.Homo's father, Dana Homo, has compiled a record of 143-41 in 16 seasons as head coach of the boys cross country program at Central."He and I run basically the same system in track," said Adam Homo. "I'll run the same system with little tweaks."It's been a tough task for all the teams in the NLC to compete with likes of Northridge, which finished unbeaten in dual-meet competition last season and cruised to sectional and regional titles before being edged by Carroll at the New Haven Semistate."McClane (girls coach Ryan McClane) and Fletch (boys coach Josh Fletcher) have great things going on there," said Adam Homo. "The girls team is a perennial program. And I feel you have to try to emulate the big dogs, but we can't expect our girls to run like them right off the bat. It takes awhile." Mark Huffman is a staff sports writer for The Truth.Send a message to Mark HuffmanRecent stories by Mark Huffman?? Homo up for new challenge?? 'Kryptonite' subdues Penn?? Lake Central again stands in Penn's way

Comments