Bourbon Reccomendations

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I never copped a bottle. What's the word?And how does one drink it. Srt8? One or two cubes. Club soda.And im not spending more than $75 Eagles. Id prefer to stay in $50/40 Eagles range on my first time out.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    if you're looking to get into whiskey, I'd say get into scotch...more character, more subtle, and cooler IMHO.

Ive done the Scotch thing and wanted to try a different spirit.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I heard you get f**king soused off of bourbon.

The 'drunks drink' if you will.

I could be off base with that though.. maybe I should try a bottle one day.

• The 'drunks drink' if you will.

I think the drunks drink is vodka.

• The 'drunks drink' if you will.

I think the drunks drink is gin.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    hmm.. well I like gin and tonic so I guess I'm a potential drunk in the making

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I like to drink bourbon straight, no ice. Maker's is a decent bottle to start with, and if you're into it, get this one:

Woodford reserve. Great stuff.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Weller's is a good not too pricey choice. Kind of the milder version of JD. I used to swear by the stuff but I"m not into bourbon much any more.

BTW....drunks are drunks there is no choice beverage. It's all about how much money they have and what they like. A gallon of cheap wine is right up there with JD.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

love this stuff with a few rocks!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    BTW....drunks are drunks there is no choice beverage. It's all about how much money they have and what they like. A gallon of cheap wine is right up there with JD.

True but there's still an interesting question about what drunks with money tend to choose...and I'm suspicious that those guys are right. Vodka and gin cause the lesser hangovers, for me at least...

I'm sure it's an age issue as well. I used to pound burbon all night when I was young, but now I've switched to Vodka for the low hangover ratio. I don't think a true drunk even thinks about hangovers.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Fellow drunks,

Bourbon is wonderful stuff! Batmon, I would suggest going to a bar with a good selection of bourbons and trying a few different ones to see what suits your tastes. Booker's is great stuff but at 121 to 127 proof it is too strong for some. Remember that Jack Daniels is NOT bourbon, it is Tennessee whiskey. Bourbon only comes from Kentucky. Woodford reserve, Knob Creek, Booker's, Baker's and Basil Hayden's are all good bourbons to try and see what you like. Jim Beam black label is a sleeper and is at a very nice price. If you REALLY want to be ballin' out of control, it's all about the Pappy Van Winkle family reserve. It is aged 20 years and is NICE. You can also check smaller labels like Eagle rare and MANY other bourbon labels.

http://www.straightbourbon.com

http://www.kybourbon.com

http://www.oldripvanwinkle.com/newbs/vw/website3.nsf/docsbykey/HNEY-5FFM32?opendocument

http://www.smallbatch.com

http://www.woodfordreserve.com

http://www.jimbeam.com

http://www.whiskymag.com

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

and as for bourbon, I'm saying
    big cosign.
    Bulleit is a good one to start with. It's rich enough without being over the top. 3 cubes and pour just enough to float all of them. (you obv. want to finish the glass before they've melted halfway or so.)

Personally, I prefer a dry simple bourbon (yes, if I'm drinking a lot, I drink and enjoy Jim Beam, which is simple, dry and definitely shot-worthy...) over more complex flavors in certain bourbons and whiskey if I'm going to drink it neat. I like the more complex stuff in mixed drinks- a Maker's Mark manhattan is a delicious drink, but I don't really like Maker's straight.

Knob Creek is a decent starter, although a bit on the heavy side in terms of alcohol content- that strength is more of an acquired taste since the alcohol really alters the flavor, and the heavier bourbons tend to be a bit more "robust".

So yeah- I would say go for Bulliet. You can find it in most supermarkets now, or they've always got it at BevMo. WELCOME TO THE BOOZE HOUND SOCIETY.

Thanx. Im gonna cop some for my weekend. My local likker sto' sells that Woodbridge.

Im a little apprehensive about Knobs Creek. They advertise everyfuckinwhere.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    You should try the Basil Hayden, its got a buttery sweet taste to it that is not as barrel tasting as its brothers from the same family.

You should try the Basil Hayden, its got a buttery sweet taste to it that is not as barrel tasting as its brothers from the same family.

I think Id like to start w/ the classic/tradition taste before going for an slight alternative.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Save your money then. Go for this.

YOUVE JUST ENTERED THE REAL TALK ZONE........

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

And how does one drink it.

Two cubes and a splash of water. Never cover the flavor of bourbon.

And how does one drink it.

Two cubes and a splash of water. Never cover the flavor of bourbon.

What about the Two Finger Rule?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    never used it.

What's the word on Mint Julips? Only at the Derby?

• I picked up a bottle of this recently. It was really affordable and quite good. I like bourbon straight or with just a splash of cool water.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    What's the word on Mint Julips? Only at the Derby?

Refreshing drinks. Not just at the derby. anywhere. Try one before making a batch. If you like mint, and bourbon you will like it.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    But if you're looking to get into whiskey, I'd say get into scotch...more character, more subtle, and cooler IMHO.

But you might say

I'm not a big fan of Bourbon either, but there's no denying Scotch and bourbon are closely related. Most Scotch is matured in American bourbon casks. The industries feed off each other.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

YOUVE JUST ENTERED THE REAL TALK ZONE........
    DO NOT GO FOR THAT.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Booker's is that real bourbon.

• and as for bourbon, I'm saying
    big cosign.

Bulleit is a good one to start with. It's rich enough without being over the top. 3 cubes and pour just enough to float all of them. (you obv. want to finish the glass before they've melted halfway or so.)

Personally, I prefer a dry simple bourbon (yes, if I'm drinking a lot, I drink and enjoy Jim Beam, which is simple, dry and definitely shot-worthy...) over more complex flavors in certain bourbons and whiskey if I'm going to drink it neat. I like the more complex stuff in mixed drinks- a Maker's Mark manhattan is a delicious drink, but I don't really like Maker's straight.

Knob Creek is a decent starter, although a bit on the heavy side in terms of alcohol content- that strength is more of an acquired taste since the alcohol really alters the flavor, and the heavier bourbons tend to be a bit more "robust".

So yeah- I would say go for Bulliet. You can find it in most supermarkets now, or they've always got it at BevMo. WELCOME TO THE BOOZE HOUND SOCIETY.

Bulleit has kind of a charcoal-y taste that reminds me too much of Jack Daniels. I would suggest Makers for people who haven't really tried bourbon because it is sweeter and more buttery. Knob Creek and Bookers are great but you really taste your alcohol with those two. Definetely second some of the suggestions in this thread like Basil Hayden (makes amazing mint juleps), Blanton's, Woodford Reserve. Bakers is another good one to try.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I'm a big fan of that Woodford Reserve, and I also like this Noah's Mill, but it's very high alcohol, not for beginners:

I'd also like to say that while I love these neat or with a cube of ice, I also absolutely love a Jim Beam or Wild Turkey and ginger ale highball. If I'm drinking the hard stuff, most times that's what I'm drinking.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I also absolutely love a Jim Beam or Wild Turkey and ginger ale highball. If I'm drinking the hard stuff, most times that's what I'm drinking.

I agree, ginger ale makes a difference especially with the canadian blends.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    absolutely love a Jim Beam or Wild Turkey

Knob Creek and Baker's, too.

Neat. Ice/soda/water kill the flavour imo. Bourbon is my favourite drink.