Mac Help - disappearing files?

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I'm at a friends house and went to play something on my laptop when I realized the song I wanted to play was gone. I opened up Microwave and there a few dozen files missing. Random stuff too. Everything from a year old to last week. I searched the whole hard drive and NADA. They just disappeared. I have no idea what's going on. They're all MP3's. Anybody know what this could be or if I can retrieve them?

Comments

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    There was a thread about this week ago. I couldn't find it.

• Yo Day, this just happened to me earlier this week:

this is the thread

What I did that worked, was just pull my iTunes music folder (that I keep on an external) and drag it back into the itunes program. just dropped the folder into the program icon. i took a while to copy all the files back in, and I had to do some deleting of double files afterwards, but all the stuf that I thought was completely gone (couldn't even find it manually on the hard drive) reappeared.

hope this helps.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Thanks, I'll try that. It bothers me though that files can just disappear at will. Luckily, I recently backed everything up, but this sounds like a problem Apple needs to address. I wonder why it happened out of nowhere? Somebody's gotta know.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I've always wondered about this. I live on the edge of my 80gb hard drive on my laptop. Sometimes, the amount of free space I have doubles for no reason. And it's not because I quit applications. I've never gone to find a file and had it missing, but I wonder where the space comes from.