Clipse sign with Rick Rubin (late pass?)

Medium_DudeMedium_Dude 153 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Surprisingly, i haven't seen any discussion on this here (my searches returned nothing about it)... Forgive me if it's already been covered. I think this could could be http://news.hiphopsite.com/blogs/newsont...y-columbia.aspxClipse Sign With Rick Rubin At Sony/Columbia Platinum-selling rap duo the Clipse have inked a deal with Rick Rubin at Sony/Columbia Records. The move cements Columbia 's commitment to a growing urban music roster that includes global phenoms Beyonc??, Prince and Three 6 Mafia. Under the legendary auspices of Rubin, who personally sanctioned the deal, and the fittingly-named A&R rep Hip-Hop--think Jay-Z, Kanye West, ???the Clipse are poised to deliver a lethal dose of their ironic, intoxicating mix of metaphor and message. "I been a fan of the Clipse since I first heard them," asserts Hip-Hop. "And I ain't a fan of too many things. Every song they come with it, lyrically. They were on a real short list when I got to Sony; I was going all the way to make this happen. We trying to be more of an artist-friendly company, and focus on artists we really love. I liked them three years ago, I liked them yesterday, and I feel like they can be a group with a future." The Clipse, brothers Pusha T and Malice, first assaulted radio in 2002 with their platinum debut, Lord Willin'. In late 2006, they dropped the devilishly dark, critically vaunted Hell Hath No Fury. And all the while they stayed grindin' on the mixtape circuit, churning out volumes of the heralded We Got It 4 Cheap series. But now, the takeover is official. Their multimillion-dollar, 5-year contract with Columbia is rare given the stingy state of the industry. And it accommodates not only forthcoming Clipse albums, but also solo efforts from each brother, and collective recordings with co-conspiratorial MCs Ab-Liva and Sandman. Together, the foursome comprises the Re-Up Gang. In fact, a Re-Up release is first on the slate, aimed for March '08. The Clipse will follow come summer. "There were several deals on the table, but only one label stepped up to the plate; that was Rick Rubin and Hip-Hop," confirms group manager Tony Draper, who along with attorney Tim Mandelbaum structured the contract. "The Clipse are in a position now where you have to establish them with their own lane, give them the opportunity to build their own entity. Hip-Hop and Rick saw the movement before we ever sold a record for Sony. They didn't make a single commitment, they made the whole commitment." That commitment, germinated from mutual respect, was consummated in the boardroom; the Re-Up Gang will enjoy 50/50 profit sharing with Columbia for the RE-UP GANG , and will retain ownership of their masters come the deal's conclusion. And with business properly handled, the Clipse can focus on their art, not their arithmetic. From Malice: "The key thing about our music, and what I'm most proud of, is the integrity. We really sit down and try to come up with good verses that'll provide some kind of food for thought. It's passionate music???deep, heartfelt, and authentic to what we do. It's very personal, and there's a connection between us and our fans. If you like the Clipse, it's because you've taken time to delve into what it is we do." Says Pusha T about the relationship with Sony: "The Clipse represent everything that we've all known Rick Rubin to represent: hip-hop in its purest form. To know that the head guy is a creative guy as well, that makes me feel good. I come from being surrounded by creativity. And I felt like in going forward, I wanted to be able to put out as much music as I wanted to. That was my goal. That's been the one thing that's hindered the Clipse. And Sony's allowing us to do that."

Comments

• That is amazing!

• the fittingly-named A&R rep Hip-Hop

That is amazing!

• anyone ever met "the fittingly-named A&R rep Hip-Hop"?

• I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but i agree.

• outstanding! good for those guys! sounds like a great deal for the artist for a change....

• I just hope that RR actually has a hand in the production. It's a good look for them in general i think, but having Rubin in the fold could take this act to a completely nextnext level.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    And it accommodates not only forthcoming Clipse albums, but also solo efforts from each brother, and collective recordings with co-conspiratorial MCs Ab-Liva and Sandman. Together, the foursome comprises the Re-Up Gang. In fact, a Re-Up release is first on the slate, aimed for March '08. The Clipse will follow come summer.

Liva and Sandman about to do they thang!! Good looks all around.

Yes. Dude is one of the chillest and most knowledgeable cats I've met.

I don't know if you were trying to be tongue-in-cheek with this

But don't play yourself!

You may also recognize the following reference

"My big brother was BIG's brother
    Used to be Dame and Big's brother
    Who was Hip-Hop's[/b] brother, who was No ID's friend..."

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Jonny P,

Who does these lines refer to, Dug Infinite? This seemed like a reasonable guess given the No I.D. reference, but I'm curious to know who.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    group manager Tony Draper[/b]
    whoa

• Who, the "big brother"? That's Jay-Z... Hip-Hop is the A&R referenced above... Big and Dame were the other two initial partners in Rocafella...

• I miss the old Roc.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Who, the "big brother"? That's Jay-Z... Hip-Hop is the A&R referenced above... Big and Dame were the other two initial partners in Rocafella...

No, I mean who is Hip-Hop, the A&R person?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• No, I mean who is Hip-Hop, the A&R person?

"I AM HIP-HOP!"

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    the Re-Up Gang will retain ownership of their masters come the deal's conclusion.
    that is a very good look.

• Who, the "big brother"? That's Jay-Z... Hip-Hop is the A&R referenced above... Big and Dame were the other two initial partners in Rocafella...

No, I mean who is Hip-Hop, the A&R person?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I guess Hip Hop is now the president of Columbia Urban.

http://billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i0db995ef4dd5675ed8c61a809734b975?imw=Y

Rick Rubin's Columbia is beginning to take shape as Kyambo "Hip-Hop" Joshua has been named the president of Columbia's urban department, Billboard.biz has learned. Formerly the senior VP of A&R at Warner Music Group until 2006, Joshua began in the music industry working A&R at Roc-A-Fella Records, developing the sounds of Jay-Z, Beanie Sigel and Freeway.

Yeah he's damn fittingly named. He brought us alot of prime JayZ (including putting Rick Rock down with Jigga on the production tip and overseeing the Blueprint) and Kanye and he manages Weezy and Mannie Fresh. He knows and cares more about hip-hop music than any other a&r dude I have ever met and is basically the dude. He's no rootlesscosmo though.

Yeah he's damn fittingly named. He brought us alot of prime JayZ (including putting Rick Rock down with Jigga on the production tip and overseeing the Blueprint) and Kanye and he manages Weezy and Mannie Fresh. He knows and cares more about hip-hop music than any other a&r dude I have ever met and is basically the dude. He's no rootlesscosmo though.

sorry you're not gonna goad me into an argument. I asked who dude was because I was curious. I used quotes around his name because it was a quote.

• Not trying to goad you into an argument. Just answering your question Chad.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    if all this gets them is real promotion of their work and a firm release date it will be more than enough

i'm guessing he doesn't climb mountains or play an electric guitar?

anyway these dudes deserve all the success in the world.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    How has this not devolved into a 5-page argument about coke rap? I thought this was soulstrut, dammit!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    anyone ever met "the fittingly-named A&R rep Hip-Hop"?

sorry you're not gonna goad me into an argument. I asked who dude was because I was curious. I used quotes around his name because it was a quote.

I met hip hop once. I met G too. Both good dudes, both kinda ushered in one of my favorite eras in rap music.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Sounds like a good deal, good to see the guys on a label that supports them.

BTW, they mention Three 6 Mafia - not trying to hijack, but when's their album coming out? The new stuff from them that's leaked has been pretty lukewarm I think (We got the club etc) but I'm hoping they've got some heat in store anyway.

• Love the clipse. Can't tell their voices apart though.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Who will be the first strutter to change their name to Blazing Downtempo? (Blaze Downtempo would work to, if you want it to sound more action hero-like). Rehash, I'm looking in your direction.