WEEKENDS FINDS (independence edition)

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
so far:

grip of goodies from a dj yesterday some disco/boogie and hip hop

got beat to a minty Samhain LP this morning but I ain't trippin, glad my man Ake copped it for $1

today's only rackord:

Lonnie Hewitt - Keepin' it Together on Wee

From O-dub's Soul Sides review: (november 2000)

"Hewitt, Lonnie: Keepin' It Together (Wee 1977)
This rare album by one of Cal Tjader's longtime pianist Lonnie Hewitt appears on the local, Bay Area indie label, Wee (owned by Hewitt). Despite being produced dead in the middle of the disco era, the album could easily be confused with something from five years earlier. The material on here is uneven though ?? a mix of Philly-esque symphonic soul arrangements and a lot of great, loopy commentary from Hewitt who talks on half the songs (or so it seems). As you might guess, "Funky Thang" is the funkiest joint on here, but even then, it'd hardly make a splash next to a ton of other songs I could name. Really, the best reason to keep this is for Hewitt's commentary ?? instant mixtape material. Oh yeah?? ill cover too."

Thanks O-dub, you nailed it on the review.

Comments

• couple of my highlights

with the zombies

• lightmen plus one-energy control center[/b]
    toots and maytals-funky kingston
    sade-king of sorrow 12in
    stezo-crazy noise lp

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    lightmen plus one-energy control center[/b]

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    lightmen plus one-energy control center[/b]

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    the clash- black market clash
    louis armstrong plays wc handy
    a taste of tequila- the mariachi brass feat chet baker

total cost= $2

2 moe days to dig....

total cost= $2

2 moe days to dig....

total cost= $2

2 moe days to dig....

yeah just average for a friday...

last week's I>james taylor and the originals- flying machines /I> will be hard to top...

just funnin meng

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    impossibles hot pepper og

it's all gooooooooood

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Blurry is almost better than nothing. Lost in amongst there, a Taana G., Together Bros, Italian Hair, Expansions, Roy Ayers - Running away 12, 3 of the same D-Train LP and about 10 different Lou Rawls LPs. Definitely a bunch to freshen the crates and a bunch to get rid of.

a couple of Smithsonian boxed sets on the left, the jazz pianists one looks tasty, the Big Bands not so. Liner notes for days.

and let's see some closeups:

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    spliff, hows italian hair?
    peace, stein. . .

spliff, hows italian hair?
    peace, stein. . .

I'm not really into all that HAIR thing... this one is instrumentally quite sparse, some nice drums and guitar and then gets a bit shit when the singing starts.

Johnny Taylor, Gene Chandler, Latimore, Richard Pryor, Phantom of the Opera, and a bunch of Salsoul EPs.

45's

dramatics- devil is dope
    little beaver- party down
    sugar pie desanto- be happy
    bud harper- mr. soul

lp's

biz markie- just a friend OG pressing
    fania all stars- latin*soul*rock how can you pass up ray baretto, billy cobham, manu dibango, willie colon, and mongo santamaria..plus a whole shitload more?

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    Jeez,I'm so lame and broke,but I got these yesterday:

Third Ear Band[/b] -Music from Macbeth (UK Harvest) Stoned psych folk with ethnic sounds,oboe,violin...totally trippy and trancy.

Kenneth Torroade[/b] -Love Rejoice (BYG Actual) OG

Burton Greene encounters Alan Silva and Sunny Murray[/b] -"Firmanance" (79 Italy)

Cecil Taylor[/b] -Great Paris Concert (Bet Back re-ish)

I gotta make a confession,I know virtually zero about hip-hop and disco,yet theres a record store across the street from me with tons of 12"ers.Can I borrow somebodys brain please? I promise I'll give it back when I'm done.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    fridays finds...

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

yeyah

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Finally got The Moments "my thing" on stang, what an amazing record
    also a real interesting free improv lp- Gunter Hampel and his galaxie dream band (birth label)
    a few soul sister 45's-
    Tommie Young on soul power
    Jo Ann Garrett 1000 miles away/just say when on chess
    I need her full length lp like it owes me money

How is that Deviled Ham LP?

There's a copy I could snag, but it's on the price fence where I don't want to "risk it, son." Reading that they do a side-long cover of "I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night" that combines elements of "Theme from Rosemary's Baby" manages to make me somehow want and not want it at the same time...

• I can only hope the rest of my summer is this fruitful. I found these (and lots more unpictured) for about a buck a piece at an undisclosed location, all unsleeved and in varying degrees of condition.

This would be the pick of the litter, got it home, cleaned it and it plays almost perfect! In case you don't know, one of the dopest funk 45s ever.

Another amazing funky instro with flute and ridiculous drum breaks. Perfect stoner music.

Probably near the top of my fantasy want list and the very last record sitting in the box. Too bad it's got some nasty scratches. Oh well, at least I won't be tempted to try to sell it now. The drum part plays pretty good at least.

Cool, my first Boola Boola find.

Pre-funk J.C. Davis on a 45 I never saw before. Plays like crap unfortunately.

Nice, very dope local funk, dare I say it's modern soul??

Not pictured: stuff like Funky Donkey by Pretty Purdie, Engine No. 9 by Wilson Pickett, lots more good stuff. Now I have to figure out what to keep and what to sell.

a buck a piece at an undisclosed location

• Options
    4 drops

This album is Christian-based and on par with the JA's best funk in musical backing. Fire.

This man bleeds his soul.

I know I may have said this before, but this could be the best Stduio 1 album there is. Gorgeous stuff.

KEvin in Canada.

stuff from today and friday (just a few highlights, more pix soon...finally finally copped that USA for cheep) Glenn Jones - I am Somebody and Peech Boys 12" for sale.

....and then there was this (in a different stash from the USA believe it or not):

still in shrink, not a reissue

copy #12?

"One of the rarest albums in the world (under a dozen have ever been found) this is a fine late sixties US West Coast effort, with male and female vocals and some excellent sunshine psych material swathed in mellotron and Jefferson Airplane like arrangements."

stuff from today and friday (just a few highlights, more pix soon...finally finally copped that USA for cheep) Glenn Jones - I am Somebody and Peech Boys 12" for sale.

....and then there was this (in a different stash from the USA believe it or not):
    still in shrink, not a reissue

copy #12?

"One of the rarest albums in the world (under a dozen have ever been found) this is a fine late sixties US West Coast effort, with male and female vocals and some excellent sunshine psych material swathed in mellotron and Jefferson Airplane like arrangements."

that sounds fuckin amazing! and 12 copies known to exsist?
    dude you always find the psych raerness. better throw that puppy and ebay and pay your mortgage off

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    DUDE, time to get PAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    damn, nice one Mark!

Thanks guys, I will be following your advice.

I am more about good tunes and random non-raers than owning these heavy pieces. The LP is quite nice but I am sure there is a collector somewhere who has been dying to get their hands on this OG for years and I'd be happy to make them happy with this piece, no ayyo.

Good luck psych-bidding big dudes!!!!!!